Return to Pox after 6 years...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haroldkin, Feb 27, 2017.

1. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

Hello All,

I recently had my account restored after being away from Pox Nora since late 2010. I had left the game after dissatisfaction with the Sony acquisition. It really broke my heart to do so, as Pox is easily one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. Over the years I would periodically consider checking in, but never did for fear of massive disappointment, (I really hate Sony, for more than just SOE).

I stumbled upon Conquest of Champions in late 2015. Was really digging on the game and greatly disappointed when it tanked, but not terribly surprised either. Very different world to launch a CCG in 2015 vs 2006 and the devs were sadly thinking it was still 2006. It did, however, get Pox on my mind again.

I've been busy as hell the past few years but still keep a toe in the gaming world. Typically I can maintain >one< game of interest at any given time and CCGs are tops on my list. I began playing Kingdoms CCG in early 2012. Really dig the simple play style yet complex strategy of that game. Totally different experience from Pox, save for the CCG element, but good enough to keep my interest for four years. Ultimately I got burned out on the small user base and lack of updates. I've been stumbling through several mediocre CCGs the past couple years, most recently playing Forge of Gods and Battlehands. Both enjoyable games but both seriously lacking in strategic depth. I wanted a game that wasn't so reliant on 'the best cards win', (Rise of Mythos, I'm looking at you). Games like Pox Nora and Kingdoms CCG reward good game play, (though it never hurts to have good cards too), and an experienced player will always be competitive even against a player with a fist full of cash.

Just last week Pox Nora popped into my head and I once again felt that pang of regret. This time I decided to have a look and oh the delight when I saw the game had been sold to new developers. Got my old account restored and here I am.

I've been getting reacquainted with the mechanics. Much is familiar. I can't quite tell if the stuff that is not familiar is new, changed or just forgotten. I >do< like the new, (to me), Rune Forge as that does help keep Pox competitive in the F2P reality of modern gaming. The Forge also allows me to catch up on new runes, as I was a pretty active trader and have a well rounded account up to Rise of Serkan. It's also an extreme pleasure to see the older runes are still competitive and my old decks are working right out of the box, as the thought of becoming acquainted with 20! newer expansions is quite overwhelming.

So far I've worked through the campaign side of the tutorial and am content to run campaigns and dailies, (that's new too!), for gold. Super duper fun to play my SL decks again and have my Angel of War on the battle field once more. Look forward to joining in on the PvP front at some point(*). Feel free to pop in to say 'Hello' and offer advice, (especially anything SL related).

(*) Note to devs, new players should be able to complete ALL of the tutorial against a bot. Nothing discourages like an inability to find a match. As you might have guessed, I stalled on the training PvP tutorial. Yes, I know I can ask for a match in chat, but that is neither intuitive nor preferable.)

soulmilk, Valkyr, Kampel and 2 others like this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

welcome back

there are a large number of new abilities since you last played, but some of the (not so) recent revamps to the game have seen the number of abilities per champ go way down.

also, the current developers (DOG) prominently feature some of the original pox crew (gedden, um... other people..)

the base isn't as active as it has been, and may never reach that point again, but i assume that the community is pretty close as a result. win some, lose some

good luck, and don't hesitate to ask around if you have questions or whatever

3. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Tere are big things on the horizon. Midterms should be soon(tm) and will be coupled with the release of poxnora onto ps4 - hopefully this brings an influx of new players. Also, the next expansion is entirely player made with no new abilities, which I'm super hyped for.

Oh, and one final thing: the rune forge will show all runes except the most recent expansion, so if there are runes people are talking about that you can't find check the checklist :)

4. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

And make sure to do the daily campaigns as they grant you runes from the expansion you played! Welcome!

5. haroldkin

The rune awards for completing campaigns is a nice addition to the game. Really nice that the rune is random and not limited to commons/uncommons. I've even bagged a Legendary and Exotic from rune drops, which is not bad for having only run a couple dozen campaigns since I returned.

6. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Welcome back, did recently return myself.
    So many new abilities to try to learn and watch out for, gathering gold & shards from skirmish/campaigns is a doable way to get runes, some runes are worth forging others are much easier to get from ex www.poxbox.net
    you should finish legendary True Love to get a limited Aayla, think thats still gettable not sure when the last day is

7. haroldkin

Is True Love a stage? I don't see a campaign by that name.

8. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/companionship-gala-2017.26152/
    Ayla is a limited untradable version of barbarian huntress, which is only a rare.
    It's finished already, unfortunately. It'll probably be back next valentines day, so stick around.

Hierokliff likes this.