Rewriting a Bunch of Abilities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kalasle, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

One thing I've been thinking about w/r/t wording in this game is how often the clause "this does not stack" comes up at the end of descriptions. I don't have a good solution in mind, but I know that tacking that phrase on everywhere gets to be both inefficient and, at times, misleading. Mason's Spire says it doesn't stack, but it's actually only the refund portion of its function that doesn't--the HP buff does. Little things like that could stand to be made clearer, but I'm not sure how without adding more unnecessary text.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

In this specific case of the Mason's Spire, it'll be resolved once we are able to get ability linking working for Relics, as the "This does not stack" would only appear in the tooltip for the ability that handles the refund, and not the ability that handles the HP.

Like so:

This relic has Mason's Spire 2 (Friendly relics within 8 spaces of this one have +10 MAX HP) and Market (Relics and equipment you deploy receive a 10% nora refund. This effect does not stack).

You may have noticed that newer relics all use this type of description, because it is more technically correct.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Bellagion likes this.
  3. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Taking what @Sokolov said into account. It could be taken down the root of being made into a more formal mechanic as in just using the term "Non-Stacking." This is just meant to be an example of a potential alternative approach to stimulate others posting potential alternative ideas.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Still a work in progress, added about 12 more abilities and did some further cleanup on old entries.

Gnomes, IMAGIRL and PhdNiceGuy like this.
  5. LuckyClucky

LuckyClucky The King of Potatoes

Although it is not a big deal, an ability that is on my mind is resilient. Less than (<)is not the same as less than or equal (≤) ...remember this costed me a game...

6. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yea, will probably be running off of that in part, once I get back on top of this. Sorta ended up overloading on projects (as usual), but this will be back on the chopping block soon. Want to finish up a short thing on Recommended BGs for new players, a theory piece on BG types, updates on the Primer and Complete Rules, and then some other personal writing and school stuff. Will get back to this soon.

8. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

I love this thread.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Semester ends in ~6 days, my life ends in ~60 years, expect an update some time in between.

LuckyClucky, Senshu and IMAGIRL like this.
  10. Sokolov

lol what?

11. Sokolov

Btw, should I start implementing these?

12. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Yes.

13. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

What morfeas said

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Maybe once I get further through them, some of the diction and syntax isn't completely worked out yet, and needs the stress-testing from further application. That's my opinion, anyway.

Morfeas likes this.
  15. Sokolov

Cool.

16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ok, I'm back at this. Want opinions on a small point (Brand is just one example):

Brand of the Outlaw -- “When this champion damages a champion using a basic attack, the damaged champion becomes Cursed for 4 turns, and gains Pariah and Liability for 4 turns.”

Should that say "damages a champion using a basic attack," or "damages a champion with a basic attack," or should the entire introductory clause see a rewrite? Saying "with a basic attack" could be interpreted to mean "hitting champion A, champion A has a basic attack" while it's hard to interpret "using" in that sense, because the opposing champion can't be attacking at the very moment it is getting attacked -- maybe "by using?" The "using" version may, however, confuse non-native speakers a bit more, because of the grammatical construction. Input desired.

17. Sokolov

I like "with" but this is one of those that will be difficult to remember the distinction.

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Also, should there potentially be some grammatical distinction between terrain and TLEs? Like "become Lava" versus "become affected by DMZ/Dread Field/Fire Wall." It might be awkward and messy for some of the phrases is the problem, but it would be technically more clear.

19. Sokolov

That is a mess of stuff that isn't even quite clear on my end. So I am not sure how to handle it here, but I would say, "becomes Lava terrain" could work.

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ok, that's probably a bit easier.