Rogue One: SJW paradise?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I miswrote k2so...

also the empire was less evil in this movie than others, the rebels a lot scummier.
    I mean yes labour camps and specieism from the empire, but the average person...
    they don't notice the imperial flag if they don't look up.

2. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

At least until the Imperial boot starts stepping on them because they, or more likely their surrounding territory, has something they have deemed important. Like with Jedha.

3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Jedha had a strong extremist insurgency.

the empire did in Jedha what Trump suggested the US do in the middle east.

4. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Jedha had Kyber crystals, an invaluable resource for both the Sith leadership and various important scientific projects. While the Imperial presence got much harsher once the insurgency started attacking the shipments of crystals, it's the Imperial presence there that got the attention of the insurgency in the first place. And while not "one wrong step by anyone and the entire town starts fighting each other" you can bet they weren't gentle to the Guardians of the temple or any citizens that might have complained about Imperial use of Imminent Domain (or whatever that government's equivalent is) or getting forced to mine crystals; even before the insurgency escalated things.

Bonus points for being able to desecrate a Jedi temple as well (also "something important" to Imperial leadership, albeit only a few of them).

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

so the empire is the US- Empire?

Khyber crystals is oil?

6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

if eu4 maps are at all accurate, there's a region of arabia in the hejazi strip (dunno what the actual name for that is, but it has mecca and medina. probably saudi controlled) called jeddah

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

One of the things I kinda miss about the old Expanded Universe was that Palpatine foresaw the Yuuzhan Vong invasion which is why he built the Death Star. By destroying the empire the rebellion almost did more harm than good because the galaxy was vulnerable when the invasion came. Everything worked out in the end but there was a lot to push the grey areas when most people see star wars as a black and white of good vs evil.

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

yuuzhan vong are stupid though, pretty much wh40k bleeding into starwars.

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I generally agree. There were some good books in the series but they had too many authors all trying to do their own thing and it made the arc disjointed.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

also a lot of it was Bane Shift.

this is very important to remember.

11. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

That's the problem, incompetent authors getting the spotlight because ... f*** me if I know? Because they can produce lots of crappy fanfic level drivel while a good author like Sapkowski takes his good while?

12. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

No? (Even the US, at least so far, doesn't use it's military to enslave or steal from it's own people, and probably isn't planning to use a weapon of ultimate destruction to create an excuse to dispose of it's own Senate, or using said weapon to destroy it's own cities/planet(s). Yet.)

Also no? (Kyber crystals [no "h"] are a McGuffin, if anything "real" they'd be closer to Uranium or Anti-Matter.)

Why are you trying to make the people paranoid of Rogue One somehow being s secret SJW Paradise actually seem somehow like they could possibly have a valid point? :rolleyes:

Given the source material, I don't think you should think too much into this idea.

That said, for more information on Jeddah outside of video games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeddah
    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/saudi-arabia/hejaz/jeddah

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

indeed.

it is not using its military to enslave or steal from its own people

( you are using the contraction of 'it is' wierdly btw)
    to ensalve your own people you have your prison system.
    to steal from them you have the corporations.

oh it's not and they do not have a point, but that doesn't make the 'EVIL' galactic empire worse than the US-empire. :p

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  14. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I wasn't using it weirdly. I was using it incorrectly. There's a difference.

Our prison system. Of course, prison systems ostensibly function to imprison/force labor upon guilty parties, where as the Empire in Star Wars will happily enslave/murder people for the "crime" of being conveniently located near something they want. Versus in the US and Netherlands and most other nations where forced labor can be part of a punishment at least have to be proven guilty of a crime. Though that hasn't prevented some places from inventing crimes in order to pad out prisons, and some have relatively unfair legal systems... though the US is not among the latter (for the most part).

Though personally I've always said that the US Prison system could use much in the way of reforms, the simple fact is that trying to force this as some US only thing is absurd. Albeit certainly the Netherlands has largely avoided some of the worst aspects of penal labor, even it still utilizes it (just to a lesser extent).

You're reaching. See I can use contractions properly sometimes!

No, but seriously, you're reaching on this one, it's such a flawed statement that I'm not even sure where to begin. Corporations are their own entity, separate from a given government (with some exceptions, obviously, the FED for example). Even if and when they are "stealing" from people it's not in service of the government or the military (if anything, it's almost always been the other way around, with government or the military stealing things for the sake of corporations).

Again, this is hardly US specific either, even if Corporations where tied to government entities.

Even if all that WAS the case it still wouldn't be as bad as the Empire in Star Wars.

Yet. ;)

Hopefully it'll stop going towards that direction.

It just seems like you're trying way too hard to force this allegory, and specifically to the US (rather than any current or historical Empire).

Star Wars is a fairy tale. While there may sometimes be allegory in fairy tales, I think people tend to read too much into these sorts of things in general, and especially into Star Wars.

But I thank you for the silly distraction (had a very unpleasant series of dreams that I'm happy to be forgetting as I type); even if that was not your intention.

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

hey I am just very good at making associations in my head about a lot of stuff, though unlike actual conspiracy theorists I use it to entertain myself.
    so why don't it? :p

16. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Human error.

Mostly. ;)

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

back to rogueing

SireofSuns and Ohmin like this.
  18. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I enjoyed the movie but it didn't have enough madds (galen erso)

Could not give 2 shits about any apparent political agendas and realistically those who do really need to grow up.

Ohmin and Geressen like this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

It gets first place in the proper viewing order of star wars which is:
    rogue one-> IV->V -> II->III -> VI -> VII

20. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Where's my favourite, Phantom Menace?

BurnPyro and SPiEkY like this.