Sappy Thread of Remembrance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Jul 4, 2018.

1. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I like everyone in this game even the people that don't like me. I am of the same opinion. I was never good, but I loved to make weird battle groups and win with them. Pox was a fun experience, and I would invest in another game if it was like this one.

2. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I just played a 1hour 5 minute game vs @zenadel who was running all the super old school FW UD shrine kill stuff. 2x the spell orb thing plus traitorous helm. Loved it. Brought back old memories.

Laughed when my own guy caused my avatar to explode at the end.

Not all good moments are distant memories.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  3. thunderrr123

thunderrr123 The King of Potatoes

Haven't played in quite a while.. but always came back to check things over and lurk in the forums. God damn. I still remember that online pop-up in February of 2009 like it was yesterday.
    Fondest memories? This game has seen it all with me.
    Interviewing Tiny for my YT channel. Getting CorpsE cheering on my FW OP bg on PM. Making it to the top 10. Chats, guilds, trade sharks and this forum. Some of the things that stand out in-game.. IRL is almost a decade, three countries and a whole lot of memories.
    Tears welling up in my heart.

What is dead may never die. I sign off knowing that Serkan will always be my Master.

Farewell Pox.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  4. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

you all can suck it worst game ever :D

5. MBasse

MBasse Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think I joined at the height of Necromoga. Shaz was number 1. I think they were one of the only players who would "warm up" in the non-ranked lobby, while also honing their deck there.

Think I started out with UD, then switched to SP after the expansion that neutered Necromoga, because you could make a good deck for little money (made it to rank 1 for that season on the back of the cheap buggers).

There were a lot of angsty personalities causing drama, and some less angsty one.

I made the most obnoxious guildname (NotAGuild) with @Strings.

I remember playing against a Cyclops Chieftain at some point, and then I fell into a black hole of mainly playing SP/KF with Chieftains and Tribe Wars.

I also remember loaning a lot of runes and playing from other people's accounts to test stuff out. Fortunately there were a lot of generous people around, or I don't think I would have played as much as I did.

Basalt, xaznsoulx and Gnomes like this.
  6. MBasse

@GemmaXylia

I remember! I think you're just suffering from being part of the "old guard" with most of the old guard having left.

cantha likes this.
  7. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

Reading these posts just confirms what I already suspected. This game.success was 90% due to integrated chat. Taking away chat for 1 year for sure killed the game.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Yeah. We are social beings. We like to interact. How could any dev worth a Bane Shift not understand this basic idea?

9. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

No this generation Killed chat.
    There a difference.
    chat is being removed form a lot of games both popular and unpopular because "toxicness" is a thing... for some reason and people hate to read bad things instead of ya know add*(player) ignore/ /ignore(player) cause ya know whats from the era when people use to have common sense to win and lose at an argument instead of pride.

Fentum and Bondman007 like this.
  10. theKraken

theKraken I need me some PIE!

Haven't posted or played in at least a year, but yeah I miss this game. 3k+ games at 15- 20ish minutes a piece (and countless hours as a spectator). It's a lot of time I'll never get back and I dont regret a moment of it.

I truly miss this game.

Ps: UD for life (even all those times it was bad)

xaznsoulx, Bondman007 and Sokolov like this.
  11. cantha

cantha The King of Potatoes

Oh MB you old dog! Hope you're doing fine!

Lots of good memories throughout the years of playing Pox. Memorable games, the people, the drama, the forums, betas, new expansions, the patch day!
    We, the community made this game, and it was incredible.

xaznsoulx, MBasse and Sokolov like this.
  12. MBasse

Doing good, thanks! Our little guild definitely helped make time spent in Pox more memorable.

Had a conversation with someone that made me check out pox only to see that it's being closed down, but thems the dice. In a sense it's almost surprising how long the game lasted given the time of gaming it was growing into. Just at the dawn of League and Dota 2 and the on-set of the mobile gaming industry. Guess it speaks to the strength of the core gameplay and the sense of community. Pox is probably one of the last forums I frequented on a regular basis before forums almost became "old fashioned".

Hope you and the rest of the guildies are doing well :)

Sokolov and Bondman007 like this.
  13. Ultima

Ultima I need me some PIE!

Tfw I played since skeezick rebellion and I barely turned 21 last month. Man this game has been Firking amazing and has still aged well. I try to talk about it at my local tcg shop along with other warhammer players and they never check it out.
    Kneel before your skeezick lord.
    Been a fan since day one.
    Also shout out to all my slers. Especially you @Dagda. I wish I saved that glorifying sunderpede rant you had.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  14. MBasse

Oh, Shaz came back?

They had been gone for a year or two around the time I stopped checking in on Pox regularly.

15. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

I remember one super annoying matchup. I played a deck, mostly Fairies, and heavily relied on Force Barrier. My opponent had a Arrow Eater UD deck. It took me multiple turns to kill anything. My opponent couldn't easily get to my champs because they were always trapped in Force Barrier. The game took forever and I eventually lost. Still, I remember it being fun (for me) to try to win. That much Force Barrier was epic but I couldn't ever get enough damage out to do anything. :)

Edit: Force Barrier was my all time favorite ability!

16. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

Hey, I know some of y'all.

I had a ton of fun with this game over the years, picked it up during Drums of War expansion at request of a friend (Durama), and proceeded to become heavily addicted for many years. I played most all BG's, but definitely SL groups the most. Managed to be semi competitive often with not the most meta of decks, or super broken decks that weren't popular, IS/UD barbs, AP Lock, Borghas, and countless split bg's of runes I liked. I remember showing up on one of Sepulcher's Youtube videos against grgoo in 2011, and thought that was pretty cool.

I also thoroughly enjoyed all the bg play testing I did with HellspawnD(DMRBadguy) and Caine. I know I tested groups with more people, but it's been quite a few years, so while I recognize a ton of y'alls names, I may not remember explicitly.

As a side note, what on earth happened that made so many bugs that weren't around before, mainly visual indicators and graphics happening in strange places.

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

New rendering requirements for the new client broke a lot of visuals.

18. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

The code for this game is probably in some stitched together corpse golem like apparatus, Didn't Gedden and Kaizer start work on this game more than 15 years ago in his garage on java?

Kind of a miracle that its mainly just visuals that got screwed by the new client.

But glad to see you're still around Soks, hope all is well!

19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am wonderful, thanks :)

Sad about Pox, but my life is going well. Hope you are well also!

goldmonkee and st3ck like this.
  20. Basalt

Basalt New Member

Speaking of sappy remembrances, do you all remember back when everyone would "necro" old threads on the forum?

Either way, I enjoyed skimming through this thread and procrastinating with good ol' nostalgia. Almost got a little weepy reading Paladin's post, too.

I had such an awesome time in high school playing Pox and double-teaming way better players with my pair of Dwarven Kings, even if I was a general chat headache (all in good fun, I promise) and got muted once or twice a week. (To everyone who accused me of being immature—I'm sure my students think the same thing, today, 14 years later. But, I apologize.)

One of the memories that stands out to me—aside from all that chatting, battles, dwarven rivalries, and friends (if by some chance you're reading this and wondering if you're one of them, I assure you the answer is "yes")—was playing Shazara when he was testing Banish + Banish + Nora Drain. I ended up doing fairly well, and he said something like, "If I'm having trouble against you, this BG still needs tweaking." He made a change or two, and when we replayed, beat me so bad my runes probably still have boot marks on their portraits.

Another moment I recall was whispering Ogre, who was a moderator at the time, and asking him if I could be a moderator. He thought I was joking, but I insisted.

"Hang on," he said, "I'll ask."

A few minutes passed. Nothing. So, I whispered him again to check in.

"Well?" I asked.

"The only response I got was 'HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO. NEVER.'"

I don't have any epic battle stories. I maybe broke the Top 200 once or twice ages ago, and if I faced a decent player I'd freak out, unless it was a guild mate from Defenders of the Stronghold (DOS) like Kyzrin or Paladin. (Can't remember if I ever played GreatBeard, but to this day, I think of him as Whiskey Jack from the Malazan Book of the Fallen.)

I've never loved a game as much as I loved this one. Great art, great, sprites, and most of all, great community.

Not sure if I'll ever get my account(s . . . ) recovered or be able to play again, but I cherish the experiences I had.

So, cheers to Pox. I hope you're all doing well. And long live Ironfist!

—bas