Set boxes as a purchase idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calisk, Jan 18, 2018.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

It's been suggested in different forms but how many would drop money for 2x full set boxes?

As things stand I think new players have issues getting into the game, pox box is about to die, the price of entry is insane and in todays day and age nobody wants to gamble on packs.

I think single 50-60 dollars drops on full set boxes would be ideal to allow players to experiment with different factions and decks with minimal investments on entry into the game.

Even if it's just older sets i think it would be something...migjt even make them some money

2. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Rune Forge exists.

3. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Yea only if you wait a year

4. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

You get 2k gold from dailies (quests + skirmish) a day at minimum. A deck in the marketplace costs 5k gold and can be sharded for as much as 2k shards. It's less than 3 days.

5. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i have to support ethe on this. I mean, @calisk that could be an idea for last expansion. so you can buy packs and gamble on them, or buy the full set for 50-ish $ .
    it would become a sort of "subscription" you pay every release, so a couple times a year, to have all the runes you want. About forgeable stuff, really saying this game its hard to grind isnt realistic. You get more than 1000 gold per day playin 2 AI skirmishes. its like 15mins work to get 1000 gold. with 5000 gold you get 2k shards, that are enought to build a compettitive bg in a week. completely for free. doesnt seem too much. Also remember there's trading , and if you get in discord and talk with players, you can obtain most stuff for free from veterans. If pox has a problem, it isnt to obtain runes.

6. calisk

Yep I get why some would want to hold off on new sets.

That said it does have a problem, you are right it's easy as hell to f2p new runes and even scavenge a single deck together in a week or two but that's a serious investment in time for someone to wait in todays market, on product they can't even enjoy till the process and grinding is complete.

Do i think this would solve everything? No not really but other options aren't available to pox in it's current state, i think at the very least it would give an alternative to hesitant players or people that want to skip the grind and just play the game

7. Voidtrain

Voidtrain I need me some PIE!

2-3 days is not a long investment at all. Do not sacrifice quality to pander to impatient people.

8. calisk

Do not sacrifice people for quality because to maintain quality you need people. Games with millions of players can say things like "ignore casuals or adults with no time" not ones with poxs pop.

Also how is being able to buy rune sts effecting the quality of the game any? I mean it effects the grind by reducing it for those that are willing to pay, and it potentially reduces the market value of the runes....which to be frank you couldn't sell anyway at this point.

While on the other hand increases play options for those willing and gives players new ways to collect if they so choose, while potentially giving pox new revenue sources, as in my case i would never pay for packs or boxes but i might buy a set.

If i'm going to be gambling i'll f2p grind but if i know what i'm getting I find more value in that.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  9. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

actually at the moment pox is mostly suited for adults with no time...

Voidtrain likes this.
  10. Voidtrain

Voidtrain I need me some PIE!

The current business model actually works quite well when compared to other games in it's genre. Obtaining any of the older content is extremely easy so it makes sense that you'd have to pay for any new content. Ignoring the fact that obtaining the new content is completely optional.

In fact, allowing players to just obtain all the content of a new expansion has historically reduced retention rate for games such as these, as simply just giving players everything causes boredom to fester quicker.

11. calisk

for a player to get "All" the content they would need to buy the set box of every single set in pox, assuming that's 60 dollars per set that's 1860 dollars, this would not include any limited runes from the sets as such some goals could remain. if a player after spending all that quit....meh? i mean I've been around since the game was created an I didn't even spend that much on the game yet, but if they leave at that point I don't think they'd of been around for the long haul anyway.

assuming realistic amounts of spending I suspect a player would see a bundle pick up a set and play with the variety of runes now available that came with that, earn some freebies, and break down and buy another set at a later date, and if not they are now a F2P player from that point forward no different then a player that didn't invest that starting capital.

anyway I'm well aware of skinner boxes and the addiction engines that card packs aim to hook people on, and Imo set boxes can hook people in a different way that is just as financially valid and far less scumy with a vastly lower barrier to entry at least for those willing to pay the cost....and for those that don't want to F2P is always there for them

12. calisk

adults are largely the player base of pox...doesn't really make it suitable though IMO.

nothing about a grindy collectible game with 20-30 minute matches screams good for those with no time.

13. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

no time to play doesnt mean you cant get 30mins to play. A hearthstone-ish playerbase that wants random stuff, casual gaming, 5-10mins games, an easy to learn game will never have the patience to get into Pox anyway.
    Pox is suited for adults with less time to game than a youngster because:

1. its hard to learn so you need patience to get into it.
    2. matches are long but intense and you dont need to grind play. you can easily play 1 match lasting even 1 hour, then stop playing for weeks.
    3. few content coming out makes it easier to go away and come back some months after. i mean, in netrunner, or l5r, you get stuff every month. In mtg, every 3 months. every time you come back you have more stuff to get used to. Pox patches and releases content like 2 times per year. not hard to follow when you got into the basics.

I'm not sayint this is the best business plan for the game, just that as pox is at the moment its suited for a player with few time to play but interest in this kind of patience-rewarding games.

14. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

indeed, like custom nickname on units, or making all champs avaible in forge but you can cash$ to customize skins on them. that usually works, expecially in a game like this where you become quite attached to your units

15. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

The only reason to have a TCG instead of LCG model is if you're supporting a draft or blind box format. Otherwise, the gambling aspect of it seems kind of unpopular. Personally, I enjoy gambling and trading :)

16. calisk

I love trading when there is a market for it, poxbox and it's kin in all honestly killed trading years ago though, and now th pop is so low I can't imagine trying to trade for stuff