Skyrim

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PurpleTop, Aug 29, 2014.

1. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

if you like starting new files, then this mod is the chickens bananas. I love it and it makes for great and easy startups, gives you tons of options on where to go with your character.

Live another life:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9557

2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Tried it a few times. It hates my computer. Never could get it working right. Something always happened. Not sure why, I cleaned all the files correctly, made sure with TES5 that nothing was interfering with the mod. I just hates me.

3. PurpleTop

that's too bad it's one of my favorites

4. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

There is multiple really good alternate beginning mods. If one doesnt work for you try another.

I personally watch MMOxReview and his skyrim weekly shows and pretty much always get inspired by that. He also featured multiple of the aforementioned mods.

5. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I've only played the Xbox version (so no mods) and I still have a character with 500+ hours.

But, that's what I get for being a completionist...

PurpleTop likes this.
  6. PurpleTop

that's the best way to be ho.

do you have the DLC's?

7. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Oh hell yeah, bought those when they dropped

PurpleTop likes this.
  8. PurpleTop

yeah dragonborn is the Bane Shift. Solthsteim is fun on the bun

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I actually didn't care much for dragonborn dlc, seemed way too short

10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It took me a couple weeks to get everything done, so it wasn't too bad IMO

11. PurpleTop

Serious question..... I have something in the vicinity of 100 active mods, and I have never once cleaned them. Am I doing it wrong?

12. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Yes, and No. While it is not required, it can greatly decrease the chance that something ****s up. However some mods can interact with "dead files." These are basically dirty edits, in the Master Files that no longer have a purpose. For some odd reason these interactions that are supposed to do nothing can cause issues too.

At the very least the next time you start a new file, Clear your save. (Because scripts are a *****) And use the link I gave (I forget which one) and clean the master files for Skyrim. Does wonders.

While you don't need to clean everything. It might be worth it. While your don't have to, I suggest you at least clean t e Masters...

13. PurpleTop

What do you mean by "clear your save"?

Rarely do my mods malfunction, i feel like I get CTD a lot just because i have a weak system.

14. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

CTD's can also be a sign of Mod malfunction. What I mean by "Clear your save" Everything related to the files you were currently playing. Preferences, Saves ect.... Seach your Skyrim files for them.

Skyrim is weird with saves. Sometimes it carries over past scripts to new files. Clear it completely.

15. PurpleTop

So you mean delete the old saves?

16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Not just the old saves, anything related to them.

17. PurpleTop

right.... ok so like i would go into my settings and change them to default, then go ahead and delete my saves?

18. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

This is hard to explain. The simplest I can say is. Skyrim Firking hates scripts, and will even carry them over to other game saves if it randomly decides it wants to. I am trying to refind the information for you. It is hard because I found it 2 years ago, and vaguely remember it. The biggest thing I took from it, is that if you have 2 different saves. Archer, and a Warrior, instead of loading up the Warrior if you were just playing the Archer. Save. Completely exit Skyrim, then load the Warrior save. Otherwise the game wants to bring over any scripts that were running during the Archer save, to the Warrior save. Doubling up what is happening behind the scenes, causing errors ect.

This issue is much less likely to affect a completely new save. He did suggest that you go ahead, and clear any preferences, and mod data that needs to be reset if able.

He had a more detailed description of why this was happening, but not how to fix it because it was the way that it was coded. Papyrus is what they used.

Like I said. If I can find this post, I can be a lot less vague.

19. PurpleTop

Ok so I get that the scripts will try to transfer over saves. I have four different characters on my computer, and usually when I ply i just do one at a time, so each time i load a new character i generally have done so after completely exiting skyrim from the last time.

Like I said tho, most of my problems that I face are CTD's, and they are rather seldom, and i attribute them to my sad, slow, suicidal system. SO I dont think my mods are causing any issues, but i was just curious if i ever really needed to clean them, cause it seems like a lot of outside effort and I'm lazy

Bottom line tho is i dont wanna delete any of the saved games I have, you know

Can you give me an example of what kind of mod data would have to be reset in the scenario you are talking about?

20. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Ok lets restart this entire conversation. I feel as though I am needlessly worrying you over something that extremely easy to avoid. I think I am just confusing the firk out of you...

When I say clean your master.. I mean the 5-6 main files that come with Skyrim/DLC. Any mod you download can, and will interact with them. You don't have to worry about cleaning your mods. Well you do, but it is not as important as cleaning your master files. As I have stated before. What you are cleaning are "dirty edits" where the developers would go in, and make edits, but not clean up the fact they made the edit.

Watch this fully once through before you attempt it. It is very easy, but even the simplest of tasks have a chance for something to Firk up.Watch its FULLY once through before you try it. Please clear all your saves before you do this. If you do not, the safety of those saves I cannot guaranteed, because you have them saved with information they will no longer have. It is kind of like removing an armor mod when your still wearing it. The game will have a wtf moment if you try to load that save without the armor mod installed.

Hmm, Skype would be faster. If you have it, send me your info in a PM.