SL Bonuses Idea discussion

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by Kampel, May 3, 2017.

1. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

So i've seen a lot of posts about how problematic the SL bonus became for certain bgs and tactics like "tickling something to death", one of the problems i consider the faction has is with variety and design, most of SL champs have regen base or as an entire upgrade path, the other more evident problem player have been encountering is that its a fine line between tanky and unkillable with SL in general.

I've been toying with an idea to make the faction bonus feel more balanced and to free a lot of design space at the same time, if anyone could help me improve this it would be great
    I think it effectively tackles both problems and so far it looks like this:
    • SL FF Bonus: Champions you control gain one rank of Regeneration for every 20MaxHP they have. (60HP or more to have Regen 3 from bonus)
    • SL Split Bonus: Champions you control gain one rank of Regeneration for every 25MaxHP they have. (75HP to have Regen 3 from bonus)
    • Font Bonus: At the start of your turns friendly champions in this font zone gain Tough 2 for 3 turns.

*I know that at first glance it seems as a bad trade for the faction, Global Raw DMG Reduction>>Global Regeneration but in the long run i believe the faction will profit from this change and become more interesting, my reasoning is the following:

-If Regen is moved to the faction bonus it means most champions with regen get to free slots for more design which also means they would be no longer hindered by the cliché of the faction identity occupying the limited ability slots.
    Yes, it's a big deal, there must be more than 80 champions in SL with Regen ranks as entire upgrade lines. i've been pushing a lot to "fix the boring upgrades in SL", to me this is a revamp's residual problem.. and even if its a huge amount of work this is something i believe should happen sooner or later anyways. (so i dont see it as asking for a faction revamp but as a long awaited fix).
    I proposed the bonus to grant the regen ranks every 20HP FF and 25HP Split so it would still be viable to have a rank of regen as an upgrade or base to reach higher ranks if the design needs it. And to not render "empathy" and abilities alike useless in the faction.
    For example if by design a weak champ with 35HP needs the Regen3 it could have two ranks base and gain the other rank thanks to the bonus.

-My proposed change to make the DMG Reduction a font bonus should eliminate the "design limit" the faction currently has for tanky abilities.
    Practically no champ or strategy in SL involves the current Font Bonus anyway, that useless temporal regen rank does not make a difference(Maybe only on forerunner) or worth the AP to go to the font to gain it.
    Right now even weak ranged defensive champs have an upgrade line with the 3 ranks of regen so the current font bonus is not even considered in design.
    In my proposed change i purposely "upgraded" from the current champsource dmg reduction to Tough 2 to compensate, and kept the 3 turns duration, defending conquered territory would now be stronger and offensive capabilities brought down to line now that it is not global.

**The Faction Bonus would be a lot weaker, the Font Bonus would be significantly stronger and the faction overal collaterally gets a lot of variety with base and upgrades on champs and removes the "too tanky" problem. To me sacrificing a bit of faction power to make it more fun to play in the long run is worth it.

I hope i could explain myself clear enough with my limited vocabulary
    What do you guys think? Is there anything you could suggest to improve this idea, is it even viable for you? @Sokolov?

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't intend to change the SL bonus at this time, especially since Sand Spray and some other stuff is being adjusted already.

If after the next patch SL is utterly dominant instead of the latest trend in a meta period that has seen something in every faction be considered OP, we'll see. So many things have been called OP this cycle with no change that stopped being played that it really begs the question of what is actually a problem. But given all the changes that are now waiting for next patch it'll likely be quite different and I expect to see entirely different complaints.

super71, Kampel and Regulate like this.
  3. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

Well sok already shot you down, but I have to say putting regen on SL as a faction and removing it from the champs is a nice idea, but it makes no sense to give them more regen the more hp they have - if you did want to do something like this you would probably want to make the bonus along the lines of:

FF: Gain a rank of regen for every 10 missing health.
    Split: Gain a rank of regen for every 15 missing health

Either way it reads as quite a weak faction bonus.

Kampel likes this.
  4. Kampel

I should have worded it better, for "every 20Max HP", so if a champ has 45 max HP it would have Regen 2.

Yes its a lot weaker but if you put them in a scale i think in the long run this change would be more profitable for the faction.

I understand, looking forward for next patch and see how it develops

5. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

I see the current SL bonus as being the mirror side of the UD bonus. The argument that it's imbalanced against attrition decks is not a global problem. It's akin to saying Immunity: Physical is unfair because it's crushing my all Physical bruiser deck or Stealth is unfair because my deck doesn't have detection.
    There are a great many conditions in the game that need to be accounted for. Any heavy handed focus on one particular specialization will lead a BG open to weakness in some area. I don't run Reforge because I find Dragonclaw useful. I run Reforge because the equipment my opponent runs might be annoying. Sure, I'd love to have that slot free for something else, but being without a source of unequip is just asking for trouble. That attrition deck needs to bring damage that can account for things like Tough and the SL bonus, simple as that.

Nonetheless, part of me likes having Regeneration as a faction bonus. However, I personally would like to see the faction bonus for split decks removed, in which case Regeneration disappears for champs in a split deck. Can't say I'm super keen about that. Regeneration as a split bonus could also open up many other problems with really tanky units and ranged from other factions gaining the benefits. Regen as a faction bonus could also prove very OP for all of SL's ranged units.

6. Kampel

How would you balance it or how would you scale the bonus so ranged units with regen dont become a problem?
    i put the "every 20MaxHP" instead of "every 15MaxHP" to avoid 45 HP rangeds with Regen 3 but doesnt seem to be enough. Currently more than half champs in SL have regen and all of them have acces to an additional rank of regen thanks to the font bonus so.. would rangeds with Regen in SL really be a problem if they currently are not?