SLAG SLAG SLAG

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by Netherzen, May 26, 2015.

1. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I decided to play slags.They feel decent but i am still learning to play SP and getting used to slags.
    Anyone else having any success with slags?Any advice or tips?
    This is my current bg:
    slags.JPG

Edit:Replaced alaricity with cyclops eye belt

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

baby slag for ranged
    mangled totemb is very good if 3 or more people hit a rock trap, or their is a standoff thats 20+ damage on each,
    i also use cyclops eye belt, diamond mace, earthshakers braclet, and vicious harpoon.
    all to make em move more across sludge.
    i should add some pies too though, good idea.

3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Below is what I'm running. I don't use Harpoon because it is relocate, not movement so it doesn't get the extra ooze tap damage. I should try diamond mace, earth shakers, and nublin's pies.

As for upgrades, take Fascinate on Ancients and Metallics. Repulsion on Auroral. Both of these are movements, not relocations, so they'll take 2 damage per space from ooze tap, healing a lot for you.

I like Distract on Voltaic, but Improve Range is good too. The rest I am still deciding what I like.

https://poxbase.com/deck/CkwCj5cdlChpCdvC2JCdzCf0CdxS1kS7yS7tR=R3hejEk

4. Netherzen

Baby slag is a bad rune,it dies after two or so attack and doesnt do much damage.I would run it at 40 something nora cost but in the current state its just too expensive for what little it brings on the field.
    I dont really like equipment because for example,you deploy 70 nora champions,drop 30 nora equipment and you spent 100 nora on a mediocre champion with a trick.I would rather spend nora on another champion to to take advantage of the sp bonus or drop a sludge pool or something like whispers of the mind.
    Not a fan of mangled totem either since its a one time might-work expensive trick.

I run teleportation on auroral because of the way dazzling works,it blinds all adjacent champions when enganged,you can use teleport to get a better dazzle or to escape fast.
    I run distract on voltaic as well,improve range is meh because most slags are melee and have low damage.
    Also i would not run hanging slag,he gets killed in two attacks by range and then kills his split copies with his death nova,his design is silly.

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Cyclops Eye Belt is great in slags because it adds 4 damage to every attack you make if its within ooze tap range. My preference is to put it on the Auroral so their melee has to re-engage and get blinded again. With repulsion, the Auroral is usually free to move around and blind again on your turn, without spending 4 AP on a teleport, although I have considered running one with teleport and one with repulsion.

You're right, baby slag does die quickly, I haven't tried it in ranked to know if it gets one rounded, but in training grounds it usually lasts a few turns due to abash. I feel the Guarded: Slag benefits and the 5 speed with ready 2 for capturing side fonts is worth it.

As for hanging slag, I use it as an AoE damage/blind, cheap 6 speed champ for font capture and 2x first turn deploys, and occasionally a heal for Oozing Slags.

6. Netherzen

I am talking about running slags in ranked,not against brainless ai in singleplayer or in training grounds.

Cyclops eye belt will only add 4 damage and heal the slags if the knockback champion got ooze behind him and you got a champion with ooze tap in range,its simply too situational but since it is only 20 nora,i might consider it.

With the new font placement,i dont really need a baby slag to cap it,the new maps are more friendly to average speed champions.Guarded:slag is great but because the baby got 30hp,it will get onerounded or aoed and wont acomplish anything worth 60 something nora.

Any player with a brain will stop hanging slag before he can amount to anything,split and death nova and vurnability: most common damage type is such a poor design.
    Casting an aoe spell would be much more efficient,10 damage death nova is meh.

I run auroral with mobility and teleport and have managed to keep enemy blinded for quite a bit with it,i dont really feel like i need repulsion.But i guess if you like repulsion,its not a bad ability in slags.

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I see what you mean about Baby and Hanging.

I wouldn't recommend Mobility on Auroral, you're missing out on the chance to blind when you engage with an enemy on your turn. Without Mobility, you can engage a champ on your turn, blind them, then on your opponent's turn the first engagement will cause blind again.

8. Netherzen

That same effect will happen when you have mobility as well.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'll have to try it again. When I tested it previously, I would move adjacent to an enemy and nothing would happen until their turn began. Then the champions I left Auroral adjacent to would become blinded.

10. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

Needs more knockback, try Rock Traps combined with Mangled Totem is an 20+ dmg combo in some cases, Vicious Harpoon in Ancient so they can Devour mroe easily, Scatter, Avalanche, Cyclop Eye Belt. Also, put an Diamond Mace for anti equip, Earthshake Braclet for survivability. I like Baby Slags, but its up to you about this.
    Also, improve range on Voltaic is not silly, is amazing for giving you free pokes that you need, they being Low DMG + Low RNG is what make this abillity worth, and is the reason the most people use Voltaic in other kind of bgs.

Also, Slags are not THAT viable in righ rank meta, but you can get at 3k.

11. Netherzen

If you run slags like a joke,then they are certainly worse then they can be,however i feel that with a small buff and a redesign here and there,they could be a decent near meta theme.

Rock trap and mangled totem is a pricey combo that can be countered or just fail on its own,that sounds more like a combo for single player,i dont know why everyone keeps suggesting stuff for slags regarding singleplayer,i am here to talk about ranked,i understand slags arent meta but i am trying to make the best of them.

Avalanche is decent,i have found that i dont need a harpoon for ancient slag,can devour stuff just fine with a bit of planning and positioning(also a lot of players dont pay attention to fascinate).
    Scatter is a crappy spell and not worth running,cyclops eye belt is situational,shoehorning every knockback spell/relic/equipment into slags is not optimal and will backfire more often then not.Its much better to use stuff like whispers/peak tactic/pies and whatnot.

I am not running diamond mace since i can usualy deal with equipment in other ways,if something is very problematic i can always vertical push.
    Eartshaker braclet looks cool with tremors and immunity but 40 nora is a lot and i have faced a lot of alt damage.

I am sorry if i sound too negative or critical to anyone,am just trying to figure out and use slags in the best way possible.
    And i managed to win few games in ranked with slags against decent stuff such as dragons,UD spiders and leoss.

12. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Personally, I think almost every SP bg should include Vicious Harpoon, Slaver's Whip, and Diamond Mace. On demand pull, possession, drive, and shatter are incredibly powerful tools. Maybe not diamond mace in slags, because none of the champs are super expensive and worth a negative equip, and because super vamps haven't made a come a I yet.

A slag bg should also probably include cyclops eye belt. For 20 Nora, you can deal 20 extra slam damage, relocate a champion, or heal your slags. Either way, you'll probably get an immediate effect that is more than worth your initial investment. Plus, the knock back damage helps in bypassing defense, which slags have difficulty doing with low damge.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  13. Ifem21

I understand your point, but you wont get too far using Slags, doesn't matter how far you go to make an perfect deck. I was able to beat meta KF, UD, zombies, firk, minos, etc. Reaching nera the 2k in rank. But slags doesn't get to better ranks, the pro players know how to counter slags, and will use the relocation effects against you. Just saying, the suggestion I've made, was from someone who reached 2k with slags, but not managed to get any further. But, good luck with your bg, maybe your playstyle is the way to make Slags into top ranks.

14. Netherzen

Slags play a bit different then most SP stuff,which is why my bg doesnt have all the standard stuff.I just dont see the need to include that stuff,i dont feel as if i am lacking those abilities when i am in the match.I do see your point however,they are strong abilities,i will consider it.

My issue with cyclops eye belt is that it just feels too situtational most of the time,to make full use of it i need ooze,i need ooze tap or something to knockback again,too often its ends up as a completely useless equipment and i end up wishing i could include something i can use here and now.As i said before,i will consider it,i am still testing out stuff.

I know what you mean and i agree with you,i dont really expect Slags to be in meta,however i want to see and use them to their maximum potential,to see just how competitve they can be,also based on my experiences with them,i will be able to suggest few buffs or small changes to help the theme grow,they are a colorful unique theme within SP,they have their own starter bg,i feel that they deserve some attention and love.

15. Ifem21

I agree, they deserve more love. For me, every theme need to be top tiers one, to be all really balanced at all (I know it's just a dream, but someday...). Slags are viable, and VERY fun to play, they have an unique style, but for be at top tiers, they need buffs, specially to stats.

16. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

My opinion:

Need more Slags

17. Netherzen

The rest of the slags suck.This is the best slags there is.Top slags.

18. Netherzen

From my experience,slags are ok,they arent exactly meta but can stand on their own against a lot of stuff.
    Ooze tap is an amazing ability,the amount of healing you can potentialy get is crazy.Its however situational and counterable(anti healing stuff,any terrain overlays,onerounding ooze tap champions or just staying out of ooze).

Based on my experience i would like to suggest some buffs to theme @Sokolov

Sludge Pool - sludge pool costs 35 nora which is pretty expensive for a relic that needs to be placed in the back to stay safe,that takes time to be useful and that requires slags and ooze tap to have any effect on the game at all.Other terrain generators(flood generator and sand generator) who have the same function cost 30 nora.I would like to suggest to lower the cost of sludge pool to 30 nora.However since the ooze has only one interaction with anything at all(ooze tap) as opposed to other forms of terrain,i would suggest to lower the cost to 25.

Slag slop- The debuffs are nice(-2 defense is good since most slags have low base damage) however damage now is better then damage later,and dots can often feel very weak when facing resilient,cleanse,tough or regeneration.Compared to aoe spells like crescendo,maddening echoes or most other aoes,the slag slop feels underwhelming for 40 nora,i would suggest lowering the cost to 35.
    Another thing that bothers me is that the aoe is increased by slags in the initial 2x2 zone,however getting bunch of slags can often cost ap i need elsewhere and bring me into a situation where my opponent can aoe spam me.Because of this,i would change the zone increase for every slag in play(to a max of x),rather then every slag in the zone.

Next i would like to talk about abilites of the slag theme:

Trail:Ooze is a 3 nora race-wide sandbag.In all my slag games i have never once had any benefit from it.Every time i had my enemy in ooze for ooze tap,that ooze would always be from sludge pool,slag slop or oozing.Remove trail: ooze from slags would help them.In order to keep certain champions from being too cheap(like voltaic slag) and to keep the flavor i would suggest adding oozing to many slags champions(not necessary all).

Ooze tap-amazing ability that holds the theme together,my only issue is that it is only on two champions.

Oozing-Its a pretty decent ability,grounded is amazing for forcing the ooze tap and instant ooze helps alot(you can also trigger it by damaging your own champions).The only thing i would change is how scoured works with it.Would be interesting if the ability did more if it triggered multiple times,such as increased rank of scoured or something.

Tunnel: ooze- is found as a upgrade on ancient slag,he is the only slag without trail: Ooze and the only slag who would actualy benefit from trail: ooze because of tunnel,with the collosal and gravity well on the same upgrade path,this ability is more or less useless.

Finaly,i would like to suggest few changes to certain slags champions,their base design,regardless of efficiency is just bad.

Deepcave extractor -the deep miner of SP,this rune sits somewhere safe and slowly generates nora.Because of slow nora gen and uselessness outside it,this promodial slag is left in the shoebox
    Not sure how to buff/rework this champion since nora gen is a pretty hard thing to balance.

Baby slag - this rune is a speedy and squishy ranged harraser and has guarded:slag.However its so squishy,it will get onerounded or just destroyed in aoes as soon as it becomes any kind of problem,even if you take abash on upgrades.Because of 30 hp you opponent can make sure that guarded slag triggers only once or not at all.Its glass cannon stats prevent it from being any kind of effective ranged champion.Basicly super squishy and too expensive for a rune that gets destroyed with such ease.

Hanging slag- any opponent with a brain(or a ranged champion) will destroy this slag before it can explode,or if it does explode,its explosion is medicore for how much it costs.
    The first issue is how quickly it gets killed,basicly 40hp base and split and vulnerability: physical means that two attack are enough(or an aoe).Secondly the death nova from one slag will destroy/damage all the slags that have split.This rune seems designed to kill itself rather then the enemy,i guess it fits the slag lore but its such a poor rune.
    My other problem is that damage it does could be done much better by an aoe or something,its a low reward,high risk rune.
    I think this rune needs a total redesign,maybe it should be made to be more like the moga sapper.

Auroral slag-auroral slag is not a bad rune per say,but its design is something i dont like too much.It has nice range and alt damage but low damage,its meant to be in the front line,yet its quite squishy for its role.This rune is a one trick pony,with the trick being dazzling.Sometime dazzling will work amazing and i will have my shiny slag dance around the font and laugh at the enemy.However the second my opponent gets precizion or cleanse,this thing is dead.Its a "counter or suffer" design like stealth or ghost and i think it should be changed.

Bonus:

Give Oozing Slag the third rank of acidic aura on upgrades.It would benefit from it because of acid eater and all champions with auras have almost always 3 ranks in upgrades,this is a small change that would help this little guy.

Gnomes likes this.
  19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

For hanging slag, do you think removing Amplify Acid and Trail Ooze and adding Acid Eater would help? It would be a 1 nora increase in cost.

20. Netherzen

Acid eater(healing) and death nova dont really make sense.Whats the point of healing an champion whos only purpose is to die?