Snaptooth Frenzy and Friends.

Discussion in 'Forglar Swamp' started by Anima26, Nov 19, 2015.

1. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Every time I deploy Crawmangler my opponent is thinking "oh no here comes a big piece of poopy roadblock with no dmg kthx."
    [​IMG]

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Crawmangler is perfectly runnable. Can he be improved? Sure, but I dislike homogenizing runes.

Tweek516, 4NIK8 and doubtofbuddha like this.
  3. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

4. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

What's wrong with him other than low damage, he does exactly what he's supposed to do sit and protect your range units.

5. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Snaptooth are the witches of the fs theme.

Witches have : passive, theme relic, theme spell, theme equip.

Snaptooth have, passive, theme relic, theme spell( spellsurge), theme equip ( snaptooth helm) even if the helm does not have a snaptooth clause yes....

Loads of fun to play. The theme has shatter, detect, cleanse, range, tank, alt dmg, beaters. Its great to have a theme where i dont have to go outside of it to be meta.

What are you guys running and how ? What comboes do you guys have?

I like the heal backfire spell with orb!!! They spend two turns hitting you to get rid of the orb, and then when they cast a spell, all your champs heal up again!

I like snaptooth frenzy with 40 dmg a turn... Multi 3 means he needs 9 ap for 3 attacks, then with impatient and vivify he get 2 ap for any closeby hits from other snaps so he normaly gets around 12 ap a turn... Thats easy 3 hits then a manic... Now snap on a bog perl( see what i did there?) to heal up the dmg he took getting in fight from impatient and he also has lifsiphon!

Hunter with multi 3 is insanley dangerous as well!

6. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

If only Snaptooth Helm was useful still. It's now vastly overshadowed by Swamp Wasp Nectar imo.

Mine's due for changes (especially since I don't have all the Snappers, but I'm running:
    2x Mindshredder (to be replaced with Leg/Exo Snaps)
    1x Glowing Slider (to be replaced with Leg/Exo Snaps)
    1x Chilan
    2x Crawmangler
    2x Deadeye
    2x Frenzy
    2x Hunter
    2x Murkwater
    2x Rider
    1x Backfire (changing to Backfire Boon soon)
    1x Bubble of Protection
    1x Cleansing Mist
    1x Erode
    2x Marsh Song
    2x Murkwater Weakness
    1x Poisonous Fumes (not sure what to switch this out with, but it always feels lackluster)
    1x Poison Trap
    2x Snaptooth Crypt (RIP relocate)
    1x Soulsphere
    1x Banner

Gnomes likes this.
  7. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

8. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Capture2.PNG

Thats what im playing

Woffleet likes this.
  9. GoldTiger

17 champions is probably pushing it no? Also snap tooth murkwater seems to me like THE best one and you ony run one while having 2 riders and 2 scales? What's the go there?

10. SireofSuns

Snaps are all about their Champions, so 16-17 champs is about where you want the count to be.
    Murkwater is very good, but his current main use is to find your other Murkwater Weakness.
    Riders bring some utility with some decent tanking, and their 2x2 size means that you can more easily get in range with Murkwater Frenzy.
    Scales bring much needed alt damage (we have physical, magic, and a tiny bit of fire). They're also 7 speed and low cost with the ability to slow down and get catalyst, all of which makes them amazing solo font contesters in a theme that usually gets punished for going solo.

Though to be fair, I don't have all the legs and exos, so I run two Murkwaters.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the Snap Ancient is... Meh. He brings Cleanse and long range, yippee. The range is counter to the whole theme (needed up front to proc MF), his damage is alright, but... I'd rather have the Crawmanglers to soak and be roadblocks. Besides, who needs Cleanse when you're playing the UD of FS? (we also have Cleansing Mist if you really long for cleanse)

Gnomes likes this.
  11. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Took the words out of my mouth.

i run 17 champs, but i would not exactly count the snail as one as he is just a 44 nora healer to me. and 16 champs is pretty much ideal. makes it so if you have a good 2 font map with both of you pumping out champs every round or two, you will get the first one back by the time your champs all die. at 14 champs you will be waiting a few turns if the game lasts to long.

The murkwaters are tanky, but thats it. they get you the spell and tank but nothing much else. and if im playing a theme with a passive like gain multi 3, i much rather have my champs fitted to dmg, and rely on other methods of not dieing. Chilling scale will get you 1 more speed, 4 more hp, 2 more dmg all for 4 less nora. Also high speed helps tremendously if you have multi 3, this mean i can move 3 spaces and hit twice with multi 3 instead of only move two spaces and hit twice. Execute makes him do 18 dmg first hit and another 12 after. thats 30 dmg for 5 ap. arctic, helps on some maps and like already said, ALT dmg type. also catalyst can secure that you can only get hit one more time if you leave someone at 4> hp, so they get killed by katalyst if you get hit any more.

Also learn to live and love and use Frenzy. he is very very strong!

The riders make it so i dont have to put shatter in the deck in spell form, and with abash and phase shift, he is very very hard to get out of a font. a much better tank in that sence as well.

12. GoldTiger

I don't understand the first part about waiting a turn or two with 14 champions. I play a low amount of champions in most of my BGs and never have experienced this waiting you are describing. Imagine at any time in the game you have 2 less snaptooths in your rune dock. I can't imagine any game where you will have 0 draws if you mulliganed. Adding 2 more runes doesn't add to your ability to put out more champions at any stage of the game as you are describing.

Also murks and craws they are tanky and that's the point. In a BG where everything has multi and you have a 5-6 range unit with escalation, you'd better hope theres something to protect all that damage. There isn't much inherent tankiness to snaps and there is no crawmangler either, so I think your BG could definitely use some tanks doesn't matter how good your positioning is. It just makes combat 'better'.

With chilling scale the same argument could be made for the 'superior' damage dealers to him. Frenzy can come from 6 or more spaces away and hit you 33 dmg+ the turn it is deployed. Better than chilling by far if you would consider him also a damage dealer. If you consider him a tank, well hes also outclassed in that aspect so really what are you using him for other than an efficient body in a BG with plenty of efficient bodies.

Also I've never really had any problems with alt damage but I'd still run the poison relic which is a consistent alt damage source if you're really that concerned. I can see the argument for riders but with no real mitigation other than charm, she gets one turned by a surprising number of factions relatively easily.

Also @siren you are underestimating just how ridiculous 6-7 range is as a stat. Unless the champion is horribly over cost or gimped in some other way a rune with that much range will almost always be fairly insane. In the case of ancient its a very well rounded rune on top of that range, not to mention a dot making it 13+ damage at 6-7. Crazy.

13. SireofSuns

Chilling Scale does more than one thing only slightly worse than other champs, so that makes very good (he's versatile).
    But as with most things, it comes down to your playstyle (rush snaps, tank snaps, etc.).

If you're using Poison Trap for alt damage, you're doing it wrong (it's a Font/champ protecter with the loss of AP it does).

I'm honestly a little surprised at this, how did it happen? Spell spam? I'd rather not run into the same problem myself...

Oh I agree that he's good. I just don't think he's 2x auto in Snaps. Maybe 1x, but his range means that he will rarely be contributing more than just his damage to any fights going on. Again, he's very good, but he just doesn't fit how I play Snaps. (I like to rush and mitigate the opponent's ability to move forward by blocking with melee champs, after Ancient lost Cast: Poison Cloud, I lost a lot of interest in using him).

14. GoldTiger

Champions really should be focused on doing one thing. You have one champion thats the best tank and another thats the best damage dealer, almost never do the 'versatile' champs come close to that in terms of strength. Relic is contaminated wreckage or whatever its called. Rider dies to UD in three shots, SL clutches on heroes (iron will) and bombs and so shes not a problem there, IS has an abundance of cleanse among spot rock collection, etc.

And your comment about his range being only damage is so contradictory to the rest of your argument. You glorify the damage of some runes while ignoring the best you have. In any game he will ALWAYS deal more damage than a melee snap, meaning hes pretty much your best source of damage even though he may not look like it at first glance. Hence why tanks + damage is better than just 2 beaters sat next to each other. Also, whats the point of them not being able to move forward, if they have nothing to move forward to (your range).

15. SireofSuns

While this is generally true, it's also always nice to have a few versatile champs, and Scale fits the bill.
    By best tank do you mean Murkwater or Crawmangler? And by best I assume you mean within the Snaptooth theme.
    Also, the best damage dealer for Snaps is not the Ancient by far, Snaptooth Hunter can deal absurd amounts of damage if you take Deep Wounds (and he starts with 13 base damage). Granted, he'd be likely to get blocked more by resistances, but he also has access to MF while Ancient does not. Ancient deals damage extremely slowly, as do the other ranged Snaps (except for Chilan if you take Sentinel for melee overwatch).

You mean for the alt damage, good to know, thanks.

I suppose if they all also have a lot of decent magic damage in their bg. Which they should, though UD is fairly lacking in that). I can imagine Minotaur Stoker being quite the thorn in the side of a Snaptooth deck.
    Still, its fairly decent as an early/side font contester, where the opponent is less likely to have the tools they need. She also can give you Shatter, which means you don't need Corrode.

You must play very strangely to have him dealing the majority of your damage in a Snap bg. The melee Snaps are perfectly designed to deal loads of damage, the ranged ones are purely meant for support (damage, utility, etc.). I always end up with either Hunter or Frenzy having dealt the most damage.
    His range is only about damage... In fact it means that he's so far away that Cleansing your own guys can easily become difficult. Snaps are berserkers, not rangers, so yeah, relying on range to do damage is rather counter to their style.

Easy, the Fonts. You use the insane melee of the Snaps to push them off fonts and then body block them. That should be your general goal as the Snaps, think of yourself as "pushing back the invaders". You aren't sitting on a wall, you're leaping off it to rip their faces off.

I'd really have to watch you play several games to see why you feel the Ancient is so important, I've run 2x Mindshredders in my Snaps on occasion, and I barely feel the need to deploy them.