So about ST

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by potatonuts, Jan 15, 2018.

1. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Am I right in thinking they are utterly broken right now?

I just played one of my first games in a long while against ST and the guy was just pooping damage all over the place. Fortunately all he did was just throw crutch runes at me with no real strategy but I'd hate to see what that deck would be capable of in the hands of a better player.

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  2. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

[​IMG]

From Cactuar Crate.

TheBulwark and newsbuff like this.
  3. potatonuts

Yeah icefang was definitely part of the issue but at one point my game crashed because apparently 10 year old animations are hard and I came back to what looked like 20 global dmg. Arctic wail maybe? It was pretty crazy whatever it was

4. Etherielin

Did you autoattack right away? Ice Stars cause you to take 5 frost dmg and become slowed whenever you basic attack and stack.

5. potatonuts

No this was during their turn, I DC'd and came back to see nearly everything with a chunk of HP missing. He had hardly anything on the board at this point so it could only have been a spell.

6. Etherielin

[​IMG]

7. potatonuts

Forgot that existed, probably was that then.

8. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

One thing to point out is that KF and UD champions are designed with the stat bonus in mind. For this reason, UD champions usually have somewhat lower DMG stats than average and KF has somewhat lower SPD stats than average. The bonuses in these factions then make up the difference. In ST, the champs generally have average or above average HP stats on base and then get their bonus on top of that. This is part of the problem, I believe.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  9. potatonuts

Yeah I think you are right, tanky ST champs can be an utter pain to get rid of. Maybe they should get the same treatment KF did a while back.

10. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

The bonus only matters strongly on low hp units, high hp units not as much, just to clarify. Any low to med hp unit that has this bonus has a huge boost to their value.

11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

What do you mean by this?

Nothing changed with the way KF champs are done.

~

As for stats, they are generally done with 2 factors in mind:
    • The race of the unit
    • The final stats of the unit after bonuses
    ST has its share of lower HP units in some Jakei and Ferren in particular, but it also has a lot of Beasts, which has traditionally been "more HP" types.

Some, like Polar Ant, specifically have low HP because of the potential for tons of HP under ST bonuses.

Anyway, I know it's popular to talk about ST right now, but keep in mind that at the beginning of the current cycle, it was SL and FS that was being nerf called, so these things shift over time even without anything changing. Part of this was there were some high profile ST nerfs a bit ago, and I think now that those have settled people are back to playing them again.

In either case, that doesn't mean no adjustments are coming - you can all see what's coming down in the Crate, but in general, the variance in balance is exaggerated and don't need FACTION WIDE adjustments - it almost always comes down to a few problematic runes.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Vash Dragneel and Etherielin like this.
  12. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Just to be clear, everyone knew st was a tier above normal even when SL was the most popular.

13. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I think you have to be careful with this line of thought. Just because nobody has posted about something in the last month doesn't mean that they think it is balanced.

14. Sokolov

That's my point. What gets nerfed call is sometimes less about balance and more about who is playing and what they are playing.

15. Sokolov

For example, just because no one is talking about X anymore doesn't mean I am automatically going to go back and undo nerfs or adjustments coming down the pipe for it.

In some cases, BECAUSE they know a nerf is coming, people stop talking about it also. It's a little different right now because we have gone without a patch for awhile, so things that have been previously discussed are coming back up again.

16. Sokolov

Anyway, to finalize my thought, there's no plans to add additional nerfs to the next patch at this point, aside from anything super glaring not already covered in some way that may come up.

The focus now is more on getting the Charge abilities rework done and bug fixes.

The reasoning is that there is already so many balance changes and other changes that will impact balance that additional changes (to ST or otherwise) is going to be a shot in the dark.

17. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

ST ruins chop blocks plz nerf

Vash Dragneel and darklord48 like this.
  18. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Right, but your tone always comes across as if it's always a false-positive: where something is actually fine but people are complaining because it's ubiquitous. It's good to be skeptical but it's less good when the skepticism becomes dogmatic and your assumptions becomes a false-negative: where something is not fine but your reaction to valid criticisms is that people are complaining because they just like to complain.

19. Sokolov

Well, that's only because there's only nerf calls to respond to.

If you made a thread that said, "Everything is balanced because no one is talking about anything" I'd argue against that too (and have done so in the past).

I think, given what's in the patches and how readily I discuss potential changes and implement changes, it should be fairly clear that I am pretty open to criticism and suggestions in the general sense.

20. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

It's pretty much become accepted knowledge that ST is over the top. Many top players have already stated that ST is too much.

You just have to accept the game for how it is though. For some of the stronger ST-splits run by some top players, it's actually just easier to surrender and save yourself some time than to play a game where the odds are so heavily stacked against you.