So all this complaining about tokens...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darkpally5, Mar 17, 2014.

1. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Except only one champ gets 10 xp, others get 2.

I can't even believe there're people seriously discussing if current system is ok.

2. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

@LoganMkv
    There's room to increase the current system. But giving everything for free is not increasing. It's freeloading (which doesn't translate into Free to Play models).

3. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- There will always be people that try to hold a game hostage..."I won't play if I dont get more things for free"... it's strange since they are not likely contributing anyway. Even more ironic is not playing gives you 0 cp. Its the opposite of what you should be doing.

4. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

I'm someone who spent thousands on this game when it was my 'main game', however due to all the changes and honestly falling out of love with it a bit there is no chance of it ever becoming my primary game again.

What I would love, however, is to be able to play it occasionally. Maybe drop some money on it now and then.

With the way things currently are I have no incentive and I don't feel like i'd be getting value for my money. People like you are battling to ensure it remains that way.

If you think my set of circumstances is so unique that i'm part of a tiny minority and not worth appealing to, then I concede your point.

Zenity likes this.
  5. Thbigchief

- Im battling to help them make money. Right now everyone is just sacrificing old runes they dont need for shards to now make free runes they could never get on third party sites since they were unavailable. After that they are buying boxes and/or packs with stored up gold that's main purpose was just to farm limiteds. All that cool stuff makes D'owl 0$.

- So price numbers can be tweaked but giving them a couple bucks for something thats free anyway if you don't mind you know... playing the game you pretend to support isn't this big of a deal to threaten to take your nerf football and go home.

6. only

only Active Member

as a rule, those brilliant ideas about CP system and leveling champions in single player come from players who struggled to pass the rare league barrier.

ignorant at their best with their most absurd theories pox can receive from long term customers. I don't even honestly believe they're being serious. hardcore troll must be an answer. in this case, stop it.

7. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

If you call your customers "entitled" you are going to have none left soon enough. Grinding is a bad thing and should never be endorsed. There is no more reliable way to piss off everyone who isn't rather insane.

Zenity likes this.
  8. Emries

Tell me a game free to play game that doesn't have any grind at all.

9. Thbigchief

- Hearthstone... everyone who thought they were smart about game models, isn't anymore.

10. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

You guys are so obtuse.

Obviously f2p games have grinds normally, but the designers get to control what you grind for and what you get.

The key idea is to make the grind feel tolerable and the promised rewards compelling.

Tell me how that applies to CP in pox.

For reference - Gold grind is now something that is closer to well implemented (Grind still a little slow for my liking, but that's probably just because as previously mentioned pox isn't my "main" game so i don't invest a huge amount of time) - the reward is certainly compelling.

Zenity likes this.
  11. Boozha

What? Hearthstone has no grind; you do your dailies and thats it. Usually two games a day. Your point isn't one.

12. Emries

By increasing the CP given by a lot (25 to all champs plopped down instead of 10 to one). Playing 8 games to fully CP a rune feels tolerable to me. We've been over this.

13. only

only Active Member

on top of grinding, CP offer pretty solid amount of complexity. CP system was the only one thing in PoxNora, I didn't get at first.

I guess it depends on what the meaning of grinding is for you in the first place. it's not like CP is the only one aspect of grinding in PoxNora. for instance, League of Legends and Hearthstone have quite huge grinding aspect. however, it doesn't feel like any grinding at all. the NUX is so smooth, it's like rollercoaster (as LoganMkv said).

you want completely free to play game without any grinding? DotA2, next please.

14. Emries

15. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

How to play heartstone for free? I can tell you without a google search, you download the game, sign in and start playing.

16. Thbigchief

- So now we have a better topic. How to make the "grind" more tolerable. Not "omg y is der grind...in free game!!". Increase cp, increase token drops in packs/boxes (guaranteed plat in box maybe). But try and come up with an idea that just doesn't favor your self personally. It will not be your favorite idea is a hint on when its likely a good idea.

17. Boozha

Yeah, if its not your favourite idea it is a good idea indeed, like, say, removing CP. Grinding is bad for getting new players. Pox cant sustain itself with the old garde forever. Thus, grinding cannot be kept (and it is as fun as cancer treatment anyway).

18. only

only Active Member

CP grinding has the real definition of grinding. it's a multiplayer game. CP grinding in single player is forcing to play against AI. for single player games, there are much better choices. MUCH BETTER. players play pox for the multiplayer aspect. this is how the game should be played and the focus should be on it.

Xinde, Boozha and Zenity like this.
  19. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

There used to be a time when it was acceptable to put artificial barriers to fun in a game, which players had to pay to get around. That time has well and duly passed.

These days, you need to delight your customers all the steps of the way. If you don't, watch them wander off to any of the hundreds of free alternatives that do.

Name a F2P game without grinding? Dota 2.

But that is missing the point to begin with. The grind is supposed to be fun, and provide a natural progression curve. If you don't want to bother with it and just skip to the end-game, you can pay. But if the "grinding" is not enjoyable in itself, don't expect to woo any new players.

If you think that "plopping down a champ and surrender in single player" a dozen times in a row is a legit gameplay experience, then I hope you don't try to become a game designer.

Re: "Back in the days..."

... I didn't have to spend CP on my champs, I could just run them in their most efficient form.

Since the revamp of the upgrade system, playing with unleveled champs is like competing in a sprint with a boulder tied to your ankle. It's just pointless.

I trust that the Owls will make the right call, and I don't think that this is even worth arguing about. But some of the statements in this thread are really astonishing, it's like the Pox player base got stuck in some kind of time freeze. This isn't 2007 anymore.

enkiadu and Boozha like this.
  20. Emries

I'm beginning to think this thread is testing if you're a bot repeating the same things. Here's it straight: If you want to sustain a free to play game, there will be some sort of grind. That's how it works if you want the game to continue sustaining itself. If you still don't understand why, read the thread over again.

There will always be a grind. If the grind is not fun, lessen the grind. If lessening the grind greatly doesn't do it, there is something else wrong with the game. There are many other threads discussing what else is wrong.

And it's not like anyone is forcing you to plop down your runes in single player. If you think the runes are unplayable without upgrades, that's another design issue that's making the game "unfun". There are runes that are fine without upgrades but obviously better with them. Playing with those runes to level them up in an increased cp gain system would be vastly more fun than without. Runes aren't equal in fun-factor at this moment though.

@Zenity
    Also for those people saying Dota 2 is a free to play without grind: Dota 2 is a Valve side-business. It's not sustained through a Free to Play model. It's sustained through Valve as a whole. While this may sound similar to a Free to Play model, it's a whole different beast and is a business model unique to Valve as a company because it is essentially a very successful Steam add on (strictly business-wise not game-wise). Those badges you trade around or sell on the Steam market is completely unrelated to Dota 2 but ends up sustaining Dota 2. To quote: "1st and foremost; The market. People are buying and selling constantly and Valve takes 15% of each and every transaction. There is so much traffic going through the market that Paypal no longer allows Valve to use it (for the market). If you live in (I think it's China, but it may be one of the Koreas) you have to fill out their version of a w-2 for your steam account so they can determine if/how much to tax you on your income."

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014