So this Trump reality show

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

He's no longer just playing with the media or his money. He's playing with America and people's lives now.

This Bane Shift has consequences.

2. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I'm reserving judgement on this one.

In part because I'm a "cynic" and don't think it would be impossible for Intel to have been leaked or modified in order to make Trump look bad even at the cost of lives.

That said I find your version to be equally plausible (or slightly more plausible).

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Or removing legislation (of debatable quality - dodd frank) to remove limitations on wallstreet

because 2007 didn't REALLY happen, did it

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

The only reason this doesn't sound like much to me is because you don't need much effort or cost of lives to make Trump look bad

Geressen likes this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

hey man like 20+ civilians died and a navy seal and the main goal was not achieved.

how dare you call that unsuccessfull, you are un-american!

6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Maybe I should have said: "Make Trump look worse"?

Geressen likes this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

At that point you wonder

All those GOP dirtbags who hated Obama, where was all the sabotag-

I take that back. Imagine how good Barry coulda been. All these drone strike fails, because of Republicans who hate Barry. God damn.

8. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

The IC was mostly happy with Obama from what we know, some members of Congress with access COULD potentially have leaked things but for the most part they weren't involved outside of passing NDAAs; as far as we know State and others in the Executive were also on Obama's side. Opportunity is lacking for those opposed to Obama.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Sorry what

Opportunity lacking to oppose Barry? What is the IC all dems now?

Somehow people in IC can oppose Trump in the first try but Barry dodged those bullets for 8 years?

Lets not pretend that the dems are playing dirty on the same level as the GOP

10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I'm not thinking about this as Republican Vs. Democrat.

Intelligence communities, from what information we have, were largely happy with Obama, outside of perhaps a few Military types that were making noise (like Flynn) to oppose the defacto support of "Radical Muslims" (specifically in Syria) later on. According to... grr, I can't seem to find it. There was a report though about Military Intel giving information on potential extremists to Russia though (prior to Obama's later official offer to share with Syria via Russia), but that report seems to be buried under other things... that could easily be seen as an example of undermining... wish I could remember the author's name though to share. EDIT: Seymour Hersh's "Military to Military"

Anyway...

They who would have had the most opportunity, lacked motive. Brennan was retained from Bush and Obama largely kept up with Bush's foreign policy vectors (minus the torture, but plus assassinating citizens without a warrant and a different stance regarding Iran).

At the very least, there was no obvious and open dispute between the two like there is now.

People in Congress can have some impact (arguably manifested in keeping Guantanamo and various other things; it's mostly through legislative action and the like), and some would have access to classified information, but they wouldn't be able to manipulate it easily. They could still leak it but a lot of the time they wouldn't have time prior to an action being taken by the executive to be effective in undermining it (at least not without much greater risk).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  11. Sokolov

Wow, that press conference, what a trainwreck.

It's like he's incapable of speaking the truth.

Geressen likes this.
  12. Sokolov

"Are you going to include the Congressional Black Caucus and the Congressional Hispanic Caucus—" Ryan said.

"Well, I would. I tell you what, do you want to set up the meeting?" Trump said, speaking over her. "Do you want to set up the meeting?"

"No, no, no, I'm just a reporter," Ryan said.

"Are they friends of yours? No, go ahead," Trump continued. "Set up the meeting."

----

Bane Shift like that is part of why the media doesn't like you or give you respect, Mr. Trump. Because you, sir, are an ******* to people, even when they ask a simple and legitimate question. What do you expect this reporter to do with that, exactly? YOU LEAVE THEM NO CHOICE.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

well he has for a while now been described as a narcissistic habitual pathological liar.

amongst other things.

I thought it was the weird handshake pull thing to try and intimidate the person you are shaking hands with that just makes you look like a massive unlikeable douchebag to everyone who sees you do it.

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

You don't understand though.

All his rabid supporters eat this up like cake. They don't care about the facts or about issues. They just want someone in charge who seems like them and speaks like them. Regardless of his policies doing absolutely nothing for them so far, they feel empowered. I visit the /R/thedonald when bored at work lately, that's a trainwreck.

They're repeating the same "red pill" nonsense as DJ at the time. They don't care about anything but how it looks. They just want him to get out there and bash the Media. The whole sub is filled with all caps FAKE NEWS. They don't talk about issues or policy. They just want to constantly confirm that they are being held back by whatever it is and Trump will save them.

And it's never gonna change. Cause they've been either ignored by both parties for years or have been hearing the GOP ramble about all the idiocy (vote stealing, immigrants, etc etc) and felt like someone had to heed the call of the dog whistles.

Unless Trump gets caught red handed doing everything these guys hate, then maybe I could see them change their mind. But even though Trump is doing everything other politicians do with wallstreet etc, they will simply dismiss it as FAKE NEWS because Trump has been so effective in creating an "ignore all that doesn't fit" atmosphere. Doesn't help much that news used to let him run all over them and gave him so much free airtime while not properly talking about the crazy things he said. Because then he was good for the ratings. You reap what you sow.

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Ohmin and NevrGonaGivUup like this.
  16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Add

• spend millions of taxpayer money to go to expensive resorts with my family each weekend
    to the list. Also his sons with secret service security on business ventures around the world.

If this goes on, it is expected to go in the 100s of millions for ya'll to pick up.
    Compared to the 87 mil Obama spend.

Care about the little man!

17. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

My reading of it is that you've got this guy who has learned a particular strategy for success at his father's knee -- which is based upon coming from a position of power, and using exaggerated threats and praise, intimidation, never backing down, and the idea that it doesn't matter the substance of your argument as long as people are too scared to contradict you (or greedy/flattered enough to believe your promises).

I don't know anything about being a property magnate, but i used to be a pretty good poker player, and know this can be incredibly effective in that game, and it seems to have worked out for him until now.

But, being a politician is a very different situation and i don't know if 'the media' (or the CIA) can be intimidated in the same way as individuals whose interests he can directly threaten - especially when the whole world is watching him, and it is half the country and most of the world that is against him. I don't know, perhaps it can - but i feel like it could break Trump too.

What will be interesting is if he targets (even richer and more ruthless) individuals like Rupert Murdoch who are used to having politicians under their thumb - now that would be fun to watch... though scary as hell if they decide to cooperate.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    BurnPyro and Geressen like this.
  18. Sokolov

According to many Trump supporters I have spoken to, the key to understanding Trump is that he isn't lying, he's just using hyperbole. And it doesn't matter if what he says isn't true as long as they agree with the overall premise. This was also Ragic's point regarding Fox News use of bad charts and simply lying with numbers - it doesn't matter because he agrees with what they are saying with the charts/numbers.

So when he claims he won the popular vote or the EC by a large margin, etc. it doesn't matter if it's technically true - he's just bragging he won and so it doesn't matter what he says about it.

Which to me is.. ok fine, if he's just bragging, but if he's making policy decisions based on this bad information, then I have a concern about that, and he hasn't demonstrated that he educates himself on these topics to know when someone is feeding him bad information (for example, he claimed that he was told he had the largest margin since Reagan, so it isn't his fault if he's wrong - but if he was remotely aware of the history of the office that which he holds, he'd know that didn't sound right).

The other problem is that this whole approach means that Trump is never wrong. If he says something right, he's right. If he says something wrong, he was using "hyperbole" and "rhetoric." It's basically a free pass to do/say just about anything and not be held accountable for it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  19. Sokolov

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Tweek516, Ohmin and BurnPyro like this.
  20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty