Solo a star wars story

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Geressen, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Didn’t Disney make all of those back stories non canon?

2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Pain and fear makes sense as they are designed for self preservation, simply part of what keeps them going when constantly in battle, also some of the screaming we hear when a bot gets shot could simply be a mal function...they just got shot...all that goes out the window if ordered to do something though

The trade federation bots were owned by biologicals and were a mass produced army to serve there interests.

The little I could find on ig88 said someone ducked up his programming and made him sentient. Which makes him an anomaly not the rule, though within the canon we literally know nothing about him now, he may as well be boba's butler as far as Disney cares now.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  3. calisk

Also true

4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

his position was that there was no droid sentience pre-disney.
    Large parts of the jedi knight series and the x wing books are in my star wars headcanon.
    'cause im a strong independent black woman who don't need no man to tell me what is canon ( I'm not, this is a joke )

before that his position was that droid sentience and rebellions do not belong in star wars
    (also hogwash)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I can use the same arguments about you, but I see you totally avoided the droid torture chamber in Jabba's pallace,

this is not an argument, the same way I cannot use "he was just a vehicle for DNA strands to attempt to continue to copy themselves into new organisms" as an argument why you are not sentient.

@calisk are you admitting that droid sentience has been a thing since before Disney or not? because sayng "It's not canon anymore" is not an argument for the position that it isn't.

and while it is true that many droids have serious constraints against their freedom built into them Battle droids had to be wiped regularly or they would become "chatty" and develop personalities, similarly when Cassian Andor tried to reprogram K2-SO he removed some personality dampening and allowed K2 far greater choice in case you wanted a post-Diseny example. he is supposed to obey but is makes choices that directly contradict his directives

the fact is that many droids in star wars are treated as sentient by the protagonists, many droid types are sentient though with inhibitors which if removed might have consequences depending on the droid and saying it is not star wars, or it is because of Disney just makes you look like kind of a **** who did not know star wars.

6. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Didn't they have a whole episode about that which basically proved that he was? Was set up in the form of a trial to decide whether or not he was Starfleet property, and in the end he was determined to have free will.

Geressen likes this.
  7. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Eh... what?

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

exactly.

9. calisk

Actually in the episode the judge says she' not qualifid to make the call but is required to anyway and in the case that he might actually be sentient she wouldn't take the risk.

It's basically saying he might be sentient we don't know

JazzMan1221 likes this.
  10. calisk

Didn't skip it just didn't have much to say...jaba is in to kinky things

As for the bot from rogue 1, it was admitted in the movie he was straight stolen from the empire and reprogrammed to be that way, not seeing how it's sentient in anyway.

Everything he does serves his current masters best interests as he was programmed to do and sacrifices himself as needed.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  11. calisk

I think at this point it's worth mentioning I'm really just trolling, you make good points but i'm a programmer I know what "fake AI" looks like, it can be used to imitate anything especially if you look at the self learning algorithms we have now and expand that with X number of years to develop it into a sci-fi setting.

the main issue with bots being truly sentient in the star wars universe aside from the obvious is it in turn makes every characters from luke sky walker to the rebels, to the empire, through to the average water farmer into straight up slave owners and murderers, that effectively perform a mental version of **** and mind control every time they reprogram them. To be quite frank it needlessly ruins the characters(a trademark of new disney) and complicates things that really don't need to be complicated.

if there goal is to say everyone is evil then fine i suppose they have the right to say it, but in turn I have little interest in watching it, regardless to take it back to solo this is the stuff they should of covered in the movie, it's vastly to big of a topic to skip over and cover in 8 lines.

12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

yes,
    https://www.google.nl/search?q=are+...7j69i60l3j0.3993j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

this has been pretty well established and discussed.
    the personality wasn't programmed, it just happened. and not everything he does serves his masters
    *hands robot a backpack while telling it to stay put*
    *robot throws backpack aay*
    *robot does not stay put*

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

it's not really good trolling if you have to make the same arguments as people who are not trolling about it while disregarding the very way time functions on this planet though is it?

14. calisk

I look at trolling as pushing someones buttons, and seeing what they do, repeat till bored

15. calisk

your assuming the "AI" didn't decide that was the best course of action at that time for it's master or maybe it doesn't acknowledge him as his master and is actually serving someone else. it would all come down to how he was programmed to act. I look at it much like how a cars computer is designed to prevent user error and will take certain actions despite what the driver is attempting to do in their own best interest. maybe the AI as written simply thought it's time would best be served doing something else in that situation then holding a bag, consider it was originally an enforcer bot, I can see it prioritizing other things unlike something like a protocol droid.

at the end of the day had he programmed by the empire he'd of killed them on sight, programmed by the rebels he helps them, theres no free will in that it's how he was programmed, had he not blown up maybe he'd of been captured by some junkers and turned into a very talented toaster bot, and he'd probably of loved every minute of it because they'd of programmed him to think that.

in episode 4 when luke buys R2-D2 luke considers himself the master of r2-d2 but r2-D2 is still serving leia, thus he could break orders from him, prior to leia though obi-wan was his master, prior to that it was the republic. end of the day he gets passed around like a bong, but he always serves the best interest of those that own him at that time, I don't know enough about KSO and his back story to make accurate judgements on that.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

R2 would not have been able to disobey Luke if Luke had not removed the restraining bolt, R2 tricks Luke into unchaining him because R2 considered himself a rebel on a secret mission. R2 has also shown disobedience before to Anakin and Padme by not staying on the ship in episode 2, C3po while reluctant and having received the same orders follows him out of the ship. R2 was owned by Padme at this point. C3po by Anakin. Threepio had no reason to attempt to stop R2.

K2-SO was previously an imperial 'security' droid. if his alleigiance is not to Cassian Andor, the one who reprogrammed him but still to the empire that makes his actions illogical.

BB-8 also shows preferences and dislikes for people he has no logical reason to differentiate over while on a mission from Poe Dameron. he is also shown to improvise and make mistakes at literally the one job he was made for ( spaceship repair)

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

but I LIKE TALKING ABOUT STAR WARS!

stop politicizing star wars and imposing your morals on things that happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
    SHEESH!

18. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

to be fair, in A New Hope, the bartender in the cantina says 'We don't serve their kind here' in reference to r2d2 and c3po. 'Their kind'? Why didn't he just say, 'No droids allowed', or 'park your toys outside mate'. Instead he referred to them as a class of people almost. The wording is suspicious.

Geressen likes this.
  19. calisk

you are so weird lol

how do you attempt to say at the same time

A) all the droids are sentient and the movie are great for having the droids rebel against their slave master, blah blah blah

B) that means nothing for the previous stories, it's political to think about what that means for the rest of what we've seen so stop politicizing my film, but I love to talk about star wars.

C) If you don't watch my film you are member of the alt right so your opinion doesn't matter

how do you balance all that?

20. calisk

kind of like old people and computers...I mean they don't need to be sentient to hate robots, I mean not but 20 years prior the galaxy was having a massive war against an entire army of droid bots, probably gather some hate for the things...that said I do want to know the answer to the question "what would you serve them?" they aren't exactly looking for drinks.

also rather then a class of people they could simply be referring them to a class of things i.e a mechanic with a foreign car "i don't service that kind" or in the case of 2 cars "i don't service their kind"