Solo a star wars story

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Geressen, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

A: never said that, only a sith deals in absolutes

B: I was parodying you

C: I never said that, I said the people that were doing it for that reason are stupid.

[​IMG]

2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

you quoted the dumbest line from the prequels as a defense....well think i'm done.

3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I don't like sand, it's course and rough and irritating, an it gets everywhere, like in your vag.
    #amIamastertrollnow?

4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I guess it could have been a residual 'prejudice' against droids because of the droid armies used in the clone wars, but that feels like a stretch since droids were so ubiquitous.

Then there are the jawas. Capturing free droids and selling them. Almost feels like a slave trade. I could see someone making an argument that droids were meant as an allegory to an oppressed people, but if so it was really subtle.

Geressen likes this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I never realised but the sandcrawler does sort of resemble a slave ship in the way the droids are stored inside.

6. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

maybe, I always saw the jawas as the equivalent to fantasy bandits, likely stealing most of the bots they had from travelers, it makes no sense there are enough droids wandering the desert randomly to make a living off of, I like to think the life rey was living in 7 was fairly accurate to what their life may of been like outside the one run in we had with them.

7. Ragic

its starwars man. droids and spaceships just rain down on planets from all the space battles. its a scavengers paradise. :p

btw, I think The Force Awakens missed a cool opportunity. Instead of that crashed Star Destroyer being Ray's private salvage yard, it should have been converted into a slum city. People moving around on rope bridges and rip lines. How cool would it have been to see that crashed hulk glowing in the night like a real city. And as the sun rises you see what it really is.

Tweek516, calisk and Geressen like this.
  8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I think the locals don't like the idea of living inside a war grave.

looting it? sure! living inside a giant melted metal tomb in a desert? perhaps not.

9. Ragic

That's fine Geressen. You can live in your adobe hut, drinking your blue milk. I'll be hanging out over here in my STAR DESTROYER. And when the sand people come and break your moisture vaportators, don't expect me to protect you with my salvaged laser batteries. If you ever want to make nice, you can find me in the refurbished captains quarters, living like a boss.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    badgerale likes this.
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

there are no sand people on Jakku, Tusken raiders and Jawa share a common ancestor which split when their planet was Glassed into a desert. with Jawa going subterranean for a long time and Tuskens becoming wasteland raiders.

11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Half of Europe is a graveyard and we don't worry, bring on my star destroyer condo.

Geressen likes this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

In the Netherlands we deal with that problem by simply digging up the graves after a decade or so so the grave can receive a new occupant while any remaining bone from the cleared graves go into a communal bone pit.

but war graves ara a sensetive matter because there's explosives and sometimes it's hard to find out what belonged to whom and in England and some other places they think graves are eternal so it would be bad to send them half a german soldier worth of bones and half of the Brit they are looking for. it seems to be better diplomatically ( and financially) to let it be.

13. Ragic

There used to be sand people there, but Jedi's in training soon realized they could impress hot senators by slaughtering whole villages of them. Since Disney erased all of your backstories, my head canon is as valid as yours.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

lol ok.

15. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Ah man I missed all the good parts of this thread...

In "Pre-Disney" Star Wars Droid rights were semi-irregularly used as a theme. In the Old Republic the HK model assassin droids were based on HK-01 that gained "sentience" and started a revolution on Coruscant that spread across several planets. It ended after the Jedi learned to use to Force to short out droids. Afterwards the discussion of whether the "Right of Sentience" portion of the Galactic Constitution applied to droids continued but as of the movies no legal precedent had been set. Likely for reasons similar to the Data discussion is star trek.

From an external perspective the point could be argued that in Star Wars the Force is part of all living things. If droids were sentient it would theoretically be possible for Droids to learn to use the Force or at least be passively influenced by the Force (mind-tricks, etc). There are 1-2 cases in Star Wars where droids are able to use the force but none of them have ever been considered canon in any capacity. However the opposite effect HAS been observed and documented. In the Thrawn trilogy it is mentioned that droids are holes in force and incredibly difficult for Jedi or Sith to sense specifically because they are inanimate. It is also mentioned that one of the primary reasons Vader was never as strong as Anikan Skywalker was because his droid prosthetics limited his ability to influence the force. Lastly one of the reasons Grievous was so feared was that Jedi could not sense his thoughts making him difficult to fight and only the strongest were able to effect him in any real capacity (Windu almost killed him by crushing his exo-skeleton).

16. Ragic

If that's the case I'm wondering, did Anikan ever use his 'droid hand' to do a force push? If so I'm calling foul. Same question for Vader's choke power.

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I do not think that is a reasonable assumption

there are also several species in star wars that cannot be mind tricked
    speaking of old canon there are also the yuuzan vong which are disconnected from the force and solely use biotech, the vong come from a galaxy from which two robot species orignate which at one point went to war with the vong caught in the middle leading to their distrust of anything technological.

the yuuzan vong might still be canon as Thrawn is in his current itteration still trying to asses the empire as an ally to fight against a possible future incursion of "the far outsiders."

18. Ragic

Midichlorians

/end thread

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

midichlorians are just comensal parasites living off a beings potential force energy amongst other things in their bloodstream.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  20. Ragic

A sentient being is one who perceives and responds to sensations of whatever kind - sight, hearing, touch, taste, or smell. Sentient ultimately comes from the Latin verb sentire, which means "to feel" and is related to the noun sensus, meaning "feeling" or "sense."

The definition of alive from multiple sources seems to be 'not dead'. Which implies that in order to be alive, you can be killed. Can a robot be killed? No. It can be destroyed, but it can also be rebuilt. (side note, the interesting part of Data's trial was not that he could be turned off, it was that he could be turned on again).

The Force is described as an energy field created by all 'living' things. It is not described as an energy field created by all 'sentient' things. So even if we concede that droids are 'sentient', ie they can perceive and react to their surroundings, they are not 'alive', and as such do not contribute to the Force.

Now the question becomes, do you need to be able to generate Force energy in order to manipulate it. Just because im not a battery doesn't mean I cant use electricity. Perhaps there are 'force objects' which have that energy harnessed within them for some specific function that anyone (or anything) could use. Arent light sabers an example of this? So you don't have to be a Force user to use a 'Force object'. But I would argue that in order to learn how to manipulate raw Force energy, you must begin by learning how to manipulate your own. It's your 'connection to the Force'. Thus droids can never manipulate raw Force energy. Now what is that thing in living beings that generates Force energy? I take it from Geressens last post that it is NOT midichlorians, they are just drawn to it. So I guess that's still an unknown.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018