Solo a star wars story

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Geressen, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

yes.

2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

so you must feel right at home then?
    [​IMG]
    Trash compacted!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Dagda likes this.
  3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Gone are the days when the local Shaman was entrusted with the responsibility of telling the stories of his people. Now any jackass can do it, and it shows.

4. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

elaborate on your point of view, as I can interpret that in so many ways....

in other words, are you calling Rian Johnston a jack ass, Lucas for creating the prequels, Disney for doing nothing but retelling old stories, etc

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

shamans are a sham man.

6. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

George Lucas should of stopped after he released Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977, kept all the rights and refused to give them to anyone. Empire strikes back was ok, and Return of the jedi was decent. Everything after that was filth.

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

empire was ok?
    that's what you say about the best of the original trilogy?

also, what about this :
    [​IMG]

8. Ragic

it seems that my general statement is being properly applied so I'll let it stand.

9. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I don't know what the deal with that guy is except that he believe(s/(d?) atheists secretly believe in god because we are not all pure evil. Matt Dilahunty's response to that was excellent though.

long story short I find it hard to take that guy seriously about anything.

might give it a watch later though.

11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

HOLY Bane Shift BIG NEWS:

THE CLONE WARS RETURNS!

12. Alakhami

its more like people have a predilection towards archetypal stories which are sacral in their nature and even though atheists deny the validity of sacral entities they replace them with ones that align within their own mythos so in a sense they commit to the same kind of stories in their structure but ones that are pallatable to their atheistic tastes. So Star Wars being a kind of amalgamation of science fiction and eastern philosophy with the whole idea of the force and the character setup being deeply and openly inspired by Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces in which the author was also into all that Jungian archetypal stuff makes it fit very well with that notion, whether you'd like to admit it or not.

I think you find it you hard because you cling to certain convictions you've developed regarding religion and find it very difficult for yourself to step outside of them and look at the phenomena from a psychological standpoint, since, you know, it's easier to just stick to the ones you got and claim that the guy is spewing nonsense, right? Or perhaps you're not used to the kind of language he employ to describe these things. Dunno. But your "allergy" or shall we say inability to percieve his rhetoric in the light that many do that they find it extremely enlightening is very interesting. It might be that your consciousness has developed into a state of utmost aesthetic secularization where you're unable comprehend anything regarding the so-called higher truths if they have a somewhat ambigious and abstract spiritual connotation along with it. (or at least that's what I'm getting from talking with you on this topic for a while now.)

Feel free to clear out why exactly you find a person that has literally helped hundreds -- if not thousands -- of lost and depressed people (especially overqualified humanities guys) get their life together by communicating to them these grand archetypal ideas and elaborating on them through psychology and philosophy not worth to be taken seriously, at least sheerly due to his great popularity and the fact that there's a million subscribers for a guy that does two and a half hour lectures on the aforementioned topics which in itself is unprecedented in youtube or in public education for that matter.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

@Alakhami "an atheist would be someone totally without morals who would just murder people" Peterson

I don't care that you and he have not yet figured out that humans are great at pattern recognition and like to write the same kind of stories and those same kind of stories can be made without religions. If you believe what he claimed an atheist is you are not to be taken seriously. also old news new clone wars season get with the program.

14. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

While I don't agree with everything Peterson says about religion, I think he's right about the vital role it's played in human progression. Check him out. Has some really really interesting stuff.

15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

from what I understand he mostly has it backwards.

16. Ragic

They decided to work on Clone Wars some more because the females in that series already look like little boys.

profhulk likes this.
  17. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

You think humanity would have progressed further if religion never existed?

18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

yes and no,
    humans are complicated
    religion is a byproduct of our intelligence, not a source.

19. Alakhami

well i'm pretty sure it's a rhetorical exaggeration, although he usually says that when he quotes Dostoevsky, and Dostoevsky I'm pretty sure saw atheists in their extreme. I don't agree with it the way you put it since atheists in most cases fundamentally follow christian ethics. and if they don't... well, then guys like Sam Harris appear. But if we were to take a pure atheist that literally isn't influenced by any kind of religious or archetypal moral system, then I think we'll most definately get a monster. And it's not the fact that there's a religion that holds him back from killing people due to the threat of penitence in the after life. It's because such a person would be unable see the sacred aspects of life. His senses would be blocked to the most profound experiences that mankind has to offer in my opinion. He essentially will become an animal; or degrade into one, sooner or later.

Gods are an illusion, but so iare many aspects of life, such as culture and the social institutions. It's all a play of masterfully constructed illusions (note how the word is etymologically connected with ludere -- play) and hallucinations that exist as long as there are conscious beings that believe in them. Whenever there's a spellbreaker, nobody likes him cause he ruins the game! That's why many mystics follow the path of ascetism -- so they don't face the judgement and negative influence of other people who would view his way of living and viewing the world as completely incompatable with theirs. After all, that's what happened to Jesus -- he came to change the rules of the game but in the end got killed due to the fact that the ones that represented the jewish religion (the pharisees) became rigid in their traditions and were unable to move forward. Gods are a particular way of encapsulating the mysterious aspects of our psychic reality, and even though its harder to reach that level for us today due to its subtlety and because we don't exactly have a bicameral mind anymore, it still can be activated by anyone who dares to try and question his beliefs that have been ingrained upon him, the roots of which he barely understands. In the end, facing the gods is more real than the so called reality. Why? Well, because of how profound the truths you reveal within yourself are.

Oh and religion isn't just a byproduct of our intelligence. It's our essential rhythm of life. And it's constantly evolving, with it's ups and downs. Modern nihilism and existentialism that Western philosophy has developed to me is a great bridge towards Buddhism to rid itself of the primitive aspects of judeochristian thought and embrace a more courageous approach, confronting the unsettling nature of the universe yet striving to better it by raising your personal and collective awareness and acknowledging the fundamental fluidity and wobbliness of reality. The deconstruction inevitably ensues a new beggining.

That's the way I see it.

Oh and I recommend you play Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice to understand what I mean exactly by the "reality" of the confrontation with gods. It's a really beautiful game that also shows what it's like to live with psychosis. (a psychic aberration very much similar to that which shamans experience by the way.) And it isn't too long either -- about 7-8 hours.

TL;DR -- A load of hippy nonsense, of course.

20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

and I'm pretty sure as are many others that I/we/they do not believe in gods.
    that he cannot explain that we are not evil and have a moral system without involving a deity does not give him the right to decide that we DO believe in a god.
    perhaps repeatedly making that exageration and doing that in debates with atheists is not the right thing to do.
    Perhaps backing up his argument with fallacies does not make it convincing.
    anyways I think you missed it but THE CLONE WARS IS GETTING A NEW SERIES, so I didn't read he rest of what you wrote.