Soul painter

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by calisk, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

You are impossible to understand.

The rune is not viable for use in ranked play. You surely cannot be arguing against this point?

The point I was trying to make by mentioning ipox was that the only way this rune could ever see play was if it was involved in a broken combo where it's very high nora cost didn't matter.

2. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

You're jumping the leap of what I mean is viable, I stated that the rune is not buggy or otherwise WAI WAD, there are no reasons other than Nora cost to change Soulpainter except for the definition of viable that you are defining, which is that you have gauged the value of the runes in ST and do not see Soulpainter among the valuable runes. My definition of viable is that it WAI WAD and is not buggy within the state of Poxnora, that is why I expressed that the only bugs coming from Take Form are those copied by whatever rune may cause those bugs.

Your definition of viable is that no one is playing the rune, and it is because if someone would, that would be stupid because there are cheaper, more efficient/better runes to play. You wanting to play those other runes is your choice, you wanting to not play Soulpainter is your choice.

You have multiple things you're trying to represent

Jakei Soulpainter is:
    1) Overcosted
    2) Other runes are a better replacement
    3) Take Form is obscure/unflavorful on kit

1) You acknowledge this but then take the leap of entirely redesigning the rune rather than suggesting less work to adjust the nora cost; it's backwards that you want to do the least amount of work but then would otherwise redesign the rune when less work would be to change U1 since it has all ranks of Swap.
    2) There are no other runes with Draw Power or Take Form in ST please explain further, if you show an example of runes you would replace Soulpainter that would help.
    3) The ability WAI WAD and otherwise causes no grief to the game except for a 50nora cost ability, which I think is your main gripe.

What runes in ST do you use to clone another Champion?

3. aseryen

I think it's impossible to speak with you when the only perspective you are approaching the discussion from is that it needs to see ranked play. Why would it need to be changed for Campaigns, or single player? Idt a rune needs to be reworked entirely just because the ranked community does not play a rune.

4. aseryen

You can play the rune in Campaigns and Single Player where Nora cost matters less. If it's too high cost for Ranked, that is the discussion, not an entire redesign.

5. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

The game is balanced around ranked play. Like it or not, that's the truth.

And in ranked play, this rune freaking sucks. There is no way take form can be viable on this champ, whatever you do with his other abilities.

Therefore, the only way to make him viable is to remove this ability and redesign him.

6. aseryen

You're right it is balanced around ranked play. I would still run it in Ranked, I've been playing FW and other bgs so I can't represent the rune. I haven't been playing ranked either until the new launch which is why I think a redesign is too preemptive. I'm not sure how large the community will be in several months, but how many people do you expect to play Soulpainter when there's only been a couple hundred the past few years. Have you played every single rune in Pox? There needs to be an award for that @Sokolov

1) It sees no play now, however the community is low and not every player has access to every rune the way some of us do.
    2) Certainly not a rune that a new player would pick up, but not all units are new player friendly. Some mechanics take time to learn. so can't expect it to be played; except by any of the players that have already decided not to run it. New Players need to have the same opportunity to judge a rune the way you are right now.
    3) The next expansion may very well introduce a rune or two that better supports a bg that might run Soulpainter.
    4) By no means a game changing rune but also not an OP game breaking one, the only thing it breaks is your Nora bank.

What is the problem with:
    - Take Form as an ability or on Soulpainter
    - What units would you/have you tried to Copy?

If Take Form is not the issue with Soulpainter then what is? Take Form is the reason why the nora cost is so high, and it seems that moving Take Form to the upgrade line is entirely opposed because for the STATS Soulpainter would still be a poor choice over other runes. If Take Form was on U1 what else would need to be changed, with removing/replacing the least amount of abilities?

7. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Since you summoned me by writing my name three times, I may as well comment on the topic.

Thank you for the praise. Jakei Soulpainter has never been a particularly strong Rune, but I have actually used it in several battlegroups. If I remember it correctly, one of them got Illusions nerfed and Pariah was added to Soulpainter.

aseryen likes this.
  8. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

ya that was the deck we both made way back in the day ( though I wouldn't be surprised if you found the trick first, someone showed it to me and I took it into a broken 2v2 deck with somebody ), it's the one time soul painter was relevant and it was when she had grant:take form which has since been removed.

as I usually do with st, if someone finds a bug or glitch I will report it and then abuse it to get it spotlighted so it gets fixed faster, otherwise it sits there for 8 months and nothing is ever done

9. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Ah! This was fun! I really couldn't remember how the deck worked.
    This trickdeck goes on your account then. ;)