Sources of detection, shatter, and dispel for trolls?

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Compost, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

I made a troll deck, seems pretty fun, but this game is almost impossible to play without some form of counter to all of the above. Opponent was dwarves and just threw out brewmaster and healed him endlessly while he became invincible. I wasn't even losing people, I just couldn't kill him. Meanwhile every single one of my guys is equipped with a brew and is intoxicated (because for some reason trolls aren't brutes, some don't even have classes at all).

So anyway, people who play trolls, how to you handle this? IS doesn't seem to have any spells for any of these things.

2. eSmokefish

eSmokefish Devotee of the Blood Owl

As for detection in IS for your Trolls, I guess there is Unobstructed View and Guard Tower, I guess. And I've been told Blink and Divinity's Touch are handy to have, not sure how well those work for shattering or dispelling tho.

You could always be heretical and include a non-Troll champ for Shatter or Dispel if you really need it I guess. Flavor or Meta, pretty sure you only get to pick one when deckbuilding.

3. Compost

unobstructed view seems so niche to take up a whole slot, feels bad to include it lol. Guard tower maybe though. Do you run detection in your decks?

I do have divinitys touch, so do you cast this on oposing champs to dispell them? Does it work like that? I've never used it actually. Sucks that it's 50 nora for that.

As for including a non-Troll, yea I probably should lol but I like keeping the flavor.. Like I know every single FS bg should include damn mindshredders, but I won't include them in anything except a psychic bg where they belong. Just how I like it I guess.

Do you ever play trolls? Any gameplay advice or tips?

aseryen likes this.
  4. eSmokefish

eSmokefish Devotee of the Blood Owl

I am all about IS Constructs man. Valdaci Sentry give me more Detection than I can shake a Gnarlwood Launcher at. Haven't used Unobstructed View, but I am a fan of Guard Tower due to being a lot of stuff in one convenient package.
    I actually don't know how it works, as I have yet to try it myself, but it was suggested to me. And it being dispelled or not is just a notion I had based on skimming past some post in the past. That might've been about Vertical Push though. On the plus side, Divinity's Touch could be used to either temporarily get an enemy dude out of the frontline, potentially reset its stats depending on how Divinity's Touch actually works, or save one of your own dudes in a pinch I guess. Or at least that was the sales pitch I got for it.
    Truly I should feel blessed about my MOST EXCELLENT TASTE IN ARTIFICE for having more Shatter and Detection than I can shake the aforementioned treefolk at. I don't have an awful lot of Dispel to goa round tho, and Cleanse can be an issue to procure for me, so I feel ya a bit there.
    THERE IS ONLY ROOM FOR CONSTRUCTS/TINKERERS IN MY LIFE!

And Draksar I suppose.

And Leoss. Maybe some Lonx every once in a while.

Maybe Salaman one day...

But mostly, only room for Constructs/Tinkerers, yeah.

So, sorry, but I can't help you with advice for Trollin'.

5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Disarm, UV, Guard Tower, Blink, and Divinity Touch.

In Trolls I would run Div Touch, it's a good offensive and defensive spell.

Keep in mind that Dwarves are OP and Trolls aren't, so it may not be your BG that is the problem but the power level difference between the BGs.

6. Compost

Lol true, I feel like I was doing good though, by the time I surrendered I hadn't actually lost a single champ, I just couldn't kill the god damn brewmaster and he had already thirst for battled himself into invincibility, so I ff'd a turn before I was about to get wiped. If I could have just killed him I think I had that game.

I never drew divinity's touch though so Idk if that would have changed things.

7. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

I pretty much only play Trolls and have come to terms that Trolls are a sub-theme to Constructs. I strongly suggest running Spare Parts, Groble, Valdaci Sentry and whatever other construct you'd want. Limiting yourself to Troll units which I've tried explaining before in other threads is a misdirect considering that Grintmaw Defiance is the only rune that references Trolls. Heartstone is a stronger rune and applies to Rock Defiance units not Trolls.

Spare Parts, Clone Matter, Wish, Stonearm Sash, Take Form are niche mechanics but help tremendously with these runes. Trolls certainly have their faults but if looking at the theme as Rock Defiance and not Trolls it opens a lot more possibilities.