SP just isnt fun to play

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by Ballballer, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Ryuk your champs are cool, but you always invent 2/3 new abilities per champ, which is far too many.

2. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Frankly, I think this "new ability" criticism is overstated. Some new abilities require copy/pasting old code and changing minor issues. Other new abilities requires inventing new code. There's a big difference.

3. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

4 new abilities on this champ.

2 brand new ones, 2 sort of new ones.

Thats far too many

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Note that even if it's copy-paste code the pipeline itself doesn't change.

Steps to creating a new ability:
    • Add ability to internal database
    • Add ticket for creating ability code on ticketing system and assign ticket to programmer
    • Programmer creates ability, including associated combat log, sound, visuals, etc. (which may ALL be different even if it's copy-paste for the actual effect)
    • Programmer adds the ability code to the next build and updates ticket for Tester
    • Tester tests ability on new build, sends back to programmer if bugs are found, otherwise, it can be assigned to champions
      • Sometimes this testing surfaces old bugs that inflict the entire ability series
    So while the code part might be small, it doesn't mean we can skip the other steps.

And then sometimes, when doing a new version of an old ability, we rewrite the whole thing (for both abilities) cause it was done in a buggy/bad way, or we want to shift it to our new scripting system (which is easier to maintain/work with and more consistent).

So while it is true that some abilities are less work than others, it is also more work than people realize even in the easy cases, and generally, I know how many hours I have for an expansion and I have to decide where to put those resources so you typically won't find more than 2 new abilities for a single champion because it makes for a better release if I can spread the abilities out a bit between factions/champions.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    Beefinator likes this.
  5. Raikan

I wasn't very clear in my original post. I recognize that coding isn't the only issue that takes time, and based on Sok's post, there's a fairly rigorous design/develop/test/deploy cycle that's being followed (which takes up time). However, new abilities can be (and in fact are) added each expansion. The "it's a new ability" criticism doesn't help to select which new abilities should be added from those that shouldn't be--it just shuts down suggestions and sounds kneejerk to me. Instead, it would be more helpful to explain why a particular new ability shouldn't be added.

Here:
    1. Sonic Feedback and Sonic Fist seem like slightly different repackagings of pre-existing abilities (damage shield + confuse for the former; execute for the latter). Since both of those abilities exist in the game, and since this champion could be given confuse and/or damage shield, it probably doesn't make sense to add either.
    2. Gift of the Djinn: Seems like grant confuse, which is just a variant of confuse. So for the same reason, probably not worth programming time.
    3. Sonic Wave: This seems to add new functionality: aoe application of various buffs and debuffs, plus stealth detection. However, it seems targeted to a bg focused on distract and confuse, and we don't have a theme that really focuses on those mechanics. Nor are they widely spread abilities among the factions. So it will be fairly niche. Again, not something I'd focus on adding.

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

To some extent I can agree with that. That said, I basically have very little room to assign resources to make new abilities for old stuff (unless old stuff is bugged/broken). But suggestions for what works on old champs can influence what gets made on new champs (and then propagated back to older runes).

7. skarpox

skarpox The King of Potatoes

Sok, I have a recommendation for center piece for a sonic build.

Rune Name: Sonic Elemental
    Faction: SP
    Race: Elemental, Class: None, Size: Small, Rarity: Uncommon
    Artwork: Same
    Flavor-Text: Same (The power of its shriek was awesome. Those who didn't cover their ears immediately were deafened or worse. I saw an archer fall to his knees, blood dribbling from his ears. - Thomroy, Priest of Ironfist)
    Nora Cost: ?

Champion Stats
    DAM: 8, SPD: 7, RNG: 1-3, DEF: 0, HP: 48

Champion Abilities
    Absorb
    Amplify Sonic
    Attack: Sonic
    Deafening Aura
    Immunity Sonic
    Iron Will
    Kinetic Impulse

Upgrade Ability Set #1
    Confuse Attacker
    Teleport 1
    Crushing Charge

Upgrade Ability Set #2
    Slam
    Rapid Attack 2
    Entangling Attack

8. skarpox

Here is another change for Echo Chamber. Reduce the damage to 8, Distracted 2, and add Amplify Sonic.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  9. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Stop

0ryuk0 likes this.
  10. skarpox

Why?

11. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

I think you may need to look into rune suggestions a bit. The champ you suggested would be absurdly overcosted and also wouldn't serve the purpose of enabling a theme very well due to its huge cost. The formula isn't exactly intuitive but if you check the Rune Suggestions subforum you may get an idea of the process behind determining cost of suggestions.

As for baller's comment, it's because you'd be nerfing Echo Chamber to try to fit it into a non-existent theme and also throwing Amplify support onto an offensive relic, which really would cause tons of unforeseen problems for the rune. A frontline relic isn't the place to have a global effect like Amplify, and Echo Chamber doesn't need to be reappropriated after finally settling down into a reasonably accepted niche.

12. Raikan

Every time I see your creepy baby image I shudder. It's truly disturbing.

I find echo chamber a bit too expensive (maybe 5 Nora). But other than that, it's in a pretty good place.

Tattergreis likes this.