Spell Limit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phynixe, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Phynixe

Phynixe I need me some PIE!

Although I'm playing Ferren right now, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm implying the issue is only against my Ferren deck. I'm talking simply over the long years of Pox. Spell spam became a major thing after SOE.

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Which makes perfect sense, because as individual champion power decreased, and the proportional value of stat boosting increased, decks began to rely on larger and larger numbers of champions in a ball, which in turn makes those decks more vulnerable to scalar effects, especially AoE. Hell, man, I've been saying AoE should come back around the meta wheel for ages -- I had a freakin FW deck built around it half a year ago when Regal Presence was big.

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

As evidenced by what exactly?

TC got nerfed, Ice storm got nerfed. Burning sands got nerfed. Borghas bomb doesnt see play anymore etc

There was so much more spell spam during the SOE era, what are you even talking about.

Honestly, this thread is pure bias without any decent argument relating to the game. You have no data whatsoever, just wild claims.

Give me some actual numbers or anything that we can work with. Cause now it's just a he said, she said.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Well, I agree with Phynixe that casting lots of AoE spells has become more powerful since DOG took over, for the aformentioned reasons. That doesn't mean that any of those spells received buffs, or even that lots of people were running AoE-heavy decks; on the contrary, most people weren't running AoE, when they should have been.

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Just to be sure, when you say "since DOG took over", you mean the last two years? What exactly made "spell spam" so much stronger since DoG took over? The spells got weaker, most champs did too, but the overall hp didn't change much. Playstyles did change, but it's not that low cheap meat is ruling the meta so hard (read moga) that spellspam is everywhere.

Because the few times I played, spell spam hasn't been insane. If anything, I don't see anyone saving up 200 nora is just wiping the board completely as you used to do before.

I genuinely don't see it.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I mean since the DOG revamp specifically, which reduced average champion damage. Here's why:

Average champion strength decreases, but champions also drop slightly in cost.
    As a result, AoE buffs champion synergy become more important (+2 DMG, for instance, accounts for a larger portion of an individual champion's damage).
    Mid-higher resource decks get better i.e. those which rely on deploying several champions which buff each other, often by proximity.
    As decks average more into high-resource environments, scalar effects become better.
    Because those resources go into champions by number, things which scale on targets become particularly stronger; AoE effects are the most common form of per-target scalar effects.
    Therefore, even if AoE effects get nerfed, they will be a relatively more powerful option. Unless those nerfs are so catastrophic as to completely counteract the environmental factors -- I hardly think the nerfs did that, they weren't universal enough -- then the theoretical approach should hold.

So here's the basic argument: based on design trends, which in turn affect BG composition, we can see that AoE effects should be a powerful meta-game choice right now, regardless of whether or not anyone actually runs them. Part of that increased strength is explained by resource level curves, and another part is explained by the specific nature of AoE spells and effects.

These meta-game shifts don't depend solely on obviously countered decks like Moga. If everyone fields 10-20% more champions, rather than one deck fielding 100% more, that's still enough for a substantive change in power.

7. Phynixe

When I say after SOE took over, I mean during the SOE era as well as DOG. I never precisely meant AFTER SOE's reign was over.

8. Phynixe

Also, the whole "I don't have any data" statement is absolutely invalid. I supported several of my posts with evidence, and so have a few others to top it off. You might want to review it before making an assumption of denial towards something that already exists.

In the end, I asked the question towards the readers. Personally, I don't care whether or not spells have a limit, but it definitely isn't fun to play against a spell spammer.

9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

it's op, and every SL player should do it.

BurnPyro likes this.
  10. Phynixe

Kritchitt did this to me not too long ago. 2x Firestorms with Fire Amp. It was brutal.. a fire bath.