Stacking Damage Reductions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pylat, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Pylat

Pylat The King of Potatoes

I don't remember how it happened exactly, but I was playing the K'thir walkthrough (free cards, lol) and while checking out my Elven Blademaster, I noticed he had both Reflexes 1 and Resistance: Physical 3. The first reduces melee damage by 20%, and the second reduces physical attacks by 50.

My question Are stacked resistances additive or multiplicative?

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Each is calculated separately as though the other doesn't exist, with the resulting damage being passed as the input onto the next ability.

3. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Which one goes first?

4. Pylat

So having Reflexes 3 and Resistance: Physical 3 means the champion gets
    1. 50% reduction to all attacks at melee distance
    2. 50% reduction to all physical attacks
    3. Full immunity to Physical melee
    I'm sure such a thing exists for ranged attacks as well, but I can't think of what the ranged version of Reflexes is...

5. Vash Dragneel

Vash Dragneel I need me some PIE!

Ummm, I should know this one. Brb.

Etherielin, Kampel and Pylat like this.
  6. Vash Dragneel

Vash Dragneel I need me some PIE!

Evasive. Or you can use scrapper, which gives both.

Etherielin, Kampel and Pylat like this.
  7. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

1) yes if not physical attack
    2)yes or no->if dmg is 10 and melee and physical, you take 10 x .5 = 5 --> 5 x .5 = 2.5 total damage that you take (note this does not include defense)
    3) no

Its called "evasive"

Makorov and Pylat like this.
  8. Pylat

So it IS multiplicative.

Additive being %50 + %50 = %100
    Multiplicative being %50 + (%50 x %50) = %75

Makorov, DiCEM0nEY and davre like this.
  9. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Yeah, it is and most applies after DEF. Some stuff like Tough applies after everything so order of operations is always wonky.

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's not multiplicative NOR additive, unfortunately.

I'd much prefer it was.

Instead, each is handled on its own, with it passing the resulting value after rounding, to the next part, which MIMICs multiplicative to some extent, but is not truly that way due to the rounding, as well as the presence of non-% based effects.

So exactly how much damage it'll result in depends on the order of operations and the way that the particular ability rounds (reductions should generally round down, but I can't guarantee that this is true in all cases since it's on a per ability basis).

This is something that's extremely difficult to fix at this point in the game's life, but is something that is very annoying in such a math critical game.

Tweek516, Makorov, MaruXV and 2 others like this.
  11. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

It does makes calculations easier than cumulating the percentage first and then doing the fraction of the initial damage in your head. Balance-wise I agree, the rounding can play a stupidly big role ...

12. nivekflakes

nivekflakes I need me some PIE!

What is the order of priority for the abilities(is Evasive first or resistance etc)

13. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

As far as I know it's in the order in which they were granted (with earlier abilities going first).

If they are both abilities it starts with... I'm not sure. It might be base > upgrade 1 > upgrade 2 or maybe the order they are displayed in-client. Worth testing.