Star Trek Discovery & The Orville

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Geressen, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I'm Watching both,

STD ( haha) is pretty much setting out to be star trek section 31, bit jumbly and their main character needs some adjusting but last episodes (6 & 7 ) have been pretty good. some nice concepts and definetly not the first star trek to have a rough start.
    new security officer is the klingon after surgery at the spy people

The Orville is more of a homage to old fashioned campy star trek in a modern coat and handling modern themes and issues.

anyone like or hate these series and for what reasons? opinions? discussions on where they are going?

trailers:

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I enjoy both shows. In my mind The Orville is what happens when you have a show that's about one of the least important ships. Not every officer can be Enterprise level professional. Even the Voyager had less professional officers than the Enterprise. The Orville is crewed by people that were the ones picked last in gym class. I think that makes the show more funny but still has interesting situations that they are in.

Discovery is taking me longer to get into, but I still enjoy it. With the more serious tone that Star Treks have, the characters are more difficult to warm up to. I don't like the redesigned Klingons as much is the Next Generation ones. I do like the overall storyline, although I feel there could have been more build up to what is special about the Discovery.

3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Yeah a longer build up and more mystery before the discovery of the spore drive would have been great, I hope they do not blow the
    securty officer is actually a klingon spy
    card too early.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Dark Matter got cancelled :( Not the best thing ever or anything, but it was entertaining.

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I enjoyed Dark Matter too.

6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I've not seen dark matter, heard it is based on a comic or something? tell me more.

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I watch and love both. I hear The Expanse is also top notch but am waiting until I finish the books.

Geressen likes this.
  8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

the expanse is very good, the series is in the 2nd or 3rd book at the end of season 2 but avaserlla has an expanded role compared to the books ( so she is hanging around season 1) I have yet to read the books, bought the first today in fact.

9. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Somehow Harry Mud is the most likeable character in STD. The Expanse was awesome. Have yet to watch the Orville.
    My personal favourite thogh is Stranger Things (Season 2 is out); not exactly the same gernre though ...

Geressen likes this.
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

mushroom guy is also better now that he is permanently high on shrooms.
    and Saru isn't bad either. nor is Tilly.

We better keep running into Harry Mud somehow though.

but yeah the main cast is
    PTSD captain with dark morality
    secret klingon spy head of security
    cattle species second in command
    war instigating mutineer science officer
    gay engineer scientist who is a **** but now a fun guy... I meanpart 'fungi' who is in a relationship with gay black doctor
    gay black doctor.
    Tilly the team spirrit ( who'se snoring is considered a disability)
    then there are some other people like robo-girl and mecha-face

iPox likes this.
  11. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Wholeheartedly agree. Don't get me wrong, I like the show. The show is fine. It has the potential to become so much better. ;)

Geressen likes this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I did not see that coming
    (Lorca)

Markoth likes this.
  13. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

I love The Orville, it feels very "Trekky". And it touches on a lot of hot political topics in a (comparatively) objective manner. It also doesn't completely crap on things that people have traditionally held dear, which is refreshing. It's... Happy, and optimistic. I like that.

Discovery doesn't feel like Star Trek. You could call it something else and change a few aesthetics and it would be the same thing. It's... Okay. I don't really like the characters or plot.

The Expanse is decent, if a bit grim-dark. I'm kinda tired of grim-dark. (which Discovery has decided is a good route to go in order to maintain viewers...).

Dark Matter was fun. The first two seasons were better than the third imo.

There's also Altered Carbon if you like naked people and butt heads.

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

@SireofSuns
    has low grim-dark threshold.
    not actually sired any suns.

SireofSuns likes this.
  15. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I watched the first season of STD (or whatever is on Netflix).

It was good, but two complaints:

why Firk with the klingons? The old klingons are cool, if you want a darker alien race then why not invent one? The universe could do with a new major race.

Also they don't normally resort to the haggard 'alternative dimension' storyline until much later on when they are running out of ideas. Or does anyone actually enjoy that?

16. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I didnt really mind the new Klingons too much but hated the whole Tyler/Volk thing.

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Voq 'oH pongwIj'e'

Ha'DIbaH!

18. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I am very much trying to like STD but I find it rather boring and earnest vs TOS.

STD is also an unfortunate acronym in the UK.

19. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Whoooooooooooo, TOS!
    I can't take it seriously, but that makes it better for me.

Also, yeah, STD gave me an STD. That's what it does to people.