State of PoxNora 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

yeah the GUI aint optimal for new players, consolidating abilities is a step in the right direction, fixing bugs is also required, continual new patches so its not 4-5months old bugfixes waiting for being updated.
    seasonal ranking would be neat, look at path of exile, their ability to have seasons with twists are great, allthough i still got bored of it after a while. 2 months seasons would be long enough, FF season, highlander season, Free for all, hero-based...
    having new PvE options would be great for the future, because with the current rank ladder system it is very boring to play PvP and it must be silly for a new player to try play it.

with the new client i really hope it will be possible to see alot more maps, start with skirmish / custom games to have loads of maps, and after a bit if they are working ok/being balanced good accept them into pvp-ladder.

aseryen likes this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Note: We already do the Seasonal Ranking thing. It gets reset with each new expansion.

3. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

I guess people forgot because it's been so long since the last one.. :p

(And you made the rewards from DoW lame too) :(

Hierokliff likes this.
  4. Hierokliff

Oh thats why the nr1 player hasnt played rank in 6months and is still nr1, so yearly ranking, that works in a bad way besides not being updated so often.

aseryen likes this.
  5. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

I haven't forgotten, I can still join in and play ranked to receive all the rewards offered for ranking up in PvP. That is said for 1v1 and 2v2.

But it's just like the Devs to kind of just jump in, push up their glasses and pull out their suspenders to simply put 'We already do.'

I have pm'd @Sokolov bedore about PoE and their ranking seasons/events with no reply and it's simply because he thinks that their effort is comparable to other games so there is no reason to reintroduce something that 'we already do'.

It's always funny when @Sokolov steps out from behind the curtain to say 'oh actually...'

"Oh actually..."

1. We have tried that and it doesn't work
    2. We have run the numbers and they just don't compare to what you are saying
    3. We know what we are doing because we are in the industry

But then devs are entirely silent about what is going to be available for the future of pox. We already knew there was a player made expansion being worked on, that should have been a free advertising campaign DOGz attempted to do but instead they drag out the previews and release nothing for almost a year now. I believe this is the longest lull Poxnora has ever gone through, even during the take over content was released. They can't advertise because they don't see the value in their own work, honestly they really don't or they would be able to advertise. Poxnora on release had less content so at least that can be the hook for a modern ad, but no. I guarantee that the devs don't respect their work enough to release an ad, which is why they were silent about Sonys over zealous launch dates and why once the game is launched their will most likely be an extremely cookie cutter ad almost identical to SOEs.

And the reason why we will only get a cookie cutter ad is because there was not one made previously by DOGz for them to have their logo on that hundreds of thousands of people can see, they are left at square one and must stat from GO! Whereas they could have ran contests to generate player made ads or player made content to at least take the work load off their backs. This is their problem for a lot of things, you must start from Go!

It will continue to be that the Devs make excuses of 'oh this, oh that' when really I think their priorities are not straight. They think their claim to fame is being better than SOE and more for the player but we don't have a game to play that is up to date, and so far the suggestions I've given would make Poxnora timeless whereas all @Sokolov and the devs are creating is a bubble universe that is only perfect and complete so long as they maintain that ideal state. Gaming is too volatile to create content and let it run, especially in a game like Poxnora. Even though the devs can patch and rebalance they are still keeping the game in the same bubble state which constantly needs rebalance.

If more features become available for PvE the game will become more timeless. Same can be said for PvP but competitive play will always require some kind of maintenance. Ex: I can always go play Age of Mythology but won't at all be playing the same game it was on release. There has been some updates to it with it being on Steam but the core of the game stays the same, because single player and PvE is respected the way it should. I don't see the Devs respecting PvE or casual gamers the way they should imo, otherwise there wouldn't be this resistance.

6. Sokolov

It's certainly not ideal but this is mostly because of the work on the new client basically screwed the schedule over. Normally you get a reset every 3-4 months. I wanted to do a reset in between due to the delay but it just wasn't technically feasible.

I am hoping that once the PS4 launch has concluded we can go back to a more regular schedule and back to adding features and improving existing ones. Having so much of our resources tied up and being unable to even patch properly frustrates me more than anyone, it's partly I personally stepped up and spent more time trying to fix bugs myself.

For example, I'd love to be able to have test maps in casual play but it uses the same map list as ranked so that's impossible without a core code change :(

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  7. aseryen

I'm telling you @Sokolov is notorious for pushing up his glasses and pulling out his suspenders to try and put Poxnora in the right light.

Lol @Sokolov sometime you just need to sit back and take notes...there are times where it is very obvious you are putting on the Dev hat and speaking from there. This "oh but actually" tone when replying to players. The problem is that us players are the ones who usually start out by saying how it is, it's our opinion after all. And then when you come in and "oh but actually" our opinions it's very distasteful.

Player: hey you know I like the events in POE, they aren't the best but at least I can see them clearly from the main website and plan ahead for when I might be able to play the game

Dev: oh hey we do that

Player: wtf are you smoking give me some. I can't see the seasonal events from the main website. I don't know when achievements will be on rotation.

DOGz is like No Mans Skies Dev team, they try getting you on the hook of content and endless possibilities all available to the player, but then don't actually let you play with the product outside of its package.

8. aseryen

I'm a Dev, I do Dev things, these things do not always play out in a timely manner that I want them to but because I'm a dev and I say I am working on them, they will get done. And when they do they will be great because I am a dev.

I don't how stagnating the game is good long term? An issue now with 100 players won't be exponentially harder under two clients and hopefully several thousand daily players? Even 1000 dailyplayers, are their computers going to magically power DOGz to let them create more content? Idts

@Sokolov it is obvious you look into the possibilities for change, I'm just not sure I agree with what's justified, or at least the expectations given to the players. Always yes yes I want to work on the game but what it is I am working on won't permit me to do that. When yet what it is you're working on is usually something that has been a known issue for some time and is otherwise nonimpactful compared to implementing new maps or campaigns or editable features for custom matches. At least show us some projections of some grand schemes expected to follow the launch, we deserve more than "the launch is coming and when it is here you get what we give you...until of course the next expansion"

The range rework has been the only time I see they inactivity worth while, that was DOGz time to standardize and streamline their process, well it's been two years, rune design should be streamlined so that content excluding new runes is made, and if ranked/casual maps are on the same rotation then you should be sayinG that will be on the list of changes. These are the reasons I bash the crate, when changes like this will ring louder through let the whole of Poxnora than spellsurge: Lich or even a Hero rework.

9. Sokolov

It's quite unfortunate that so much of the resources that could have been used to improve Pox was squandered on things that generated negative ROI. Of course, had those projects succeeded it would have been fine perhaps, but the entire strategy of taking a tactics game studio to make Facebook games that you would not end up supporting with ad spend was suspect from the start.

That said, as I have stated before, it is very hard to change the trajectory of a game and while players (and devs) certainly have very many good ideas, ideas are the easy part and everyone thinks theirs are the best. I have revealed before that if you ask people to estimate the impacts of their features they will almost always overestimate, even those in the industry. We in the industry aren't much better in many cases but we do have more information about what is or isn't possible given other limitations.

You have to juggle limited resources, competing priorities, paying the bills (now and future), and the realities of the age/code of the product. Different players have different ideas and desires. Anyone who has worked on any software development will tell you that everything takes longer than you think, there are always surprises and things you think are easy often turn out to be the most time consuming.

Personally, if I came on here and said, "we are doing x, and y and the game will be suddenly amazing!" you should be extremely skeptical because that's not how this works, especially not with a 10 year old with limited mass market appeal. Of course that's a good life rule too, anybody who tells you something like that is probably lying, scamming, or just don't know what they are saying.

MaruXV, Etherielin and davre like this.
  10. Sokolov

This is somewhat similar to the Hearthstone model and I think it really speaks to the issue when there have been so many attempts at card games and no one seems to agree on what, if any, rotation system makes sense.

In general though, it's easier to stay with momentum and scary to rock the boat, so I think thats where we are at with Pox in regards to this issue. I think we are more likely to create a new Draft mode that allows for this rather than mess with existing ranked play which in a way does fulfill some of the goals of your proposal but gives a new mode that appeals to existing ranked players.

Bighugelarge, MaruXV and aseryen like this.
  11. Sokolov

Long story short, it was never supposed to take this long :(

As for DoW, I'd love to work on Drums of War and make it something interesting and people care about. But I think a few things take priority over it, but we'll talk more about that stuff after PS4. What I want to do is put together a list of things we want to do and see which players would like to see since we can't do it all at once.

The idea behind the current season rewards was supposed to supplant Drums of War as the primary "play more/better" reward along with the heroic achievements. Compared to DoW which only gave good rewards to a handful of players, the game should be giving most players a lot more with the new systems, which allows us to deprecate the DoW and rework it.

aseryen likes this.
  12. aseryen

Surely if you were to say custom casual maps will be a thing; but hold your horses because ranked maps and casual maps need separate code, then all will be well. Nothing wrong with saying new maps will be a thing. That's the equivalent of saying new expansions will be a thing.

What has been asked or suggested that if the devs were to be gung-ho about and say "yes!that!" Should leave a player feeling skeptical? We as players understand that it takes time to release content and priorities get pushed aside for this or that...give us the courtesy to be able to view things from a devs perspective the same way devs can view a game from a players perspective. Time is not an infinite resource and any/every response is valued 100%!

Also, if the game was completely redone in Unity, when did it become realized that casual/Ranked maps need separate code? Was that flagged or is that something that was figured out just last week? I mean if it's been 4-5 months since it's been known, surely a year or two from now having custom maps is possibe.

13. Hierokliff

Sad, hope its in the list of possible future changes to have them separate, think it would save the devs alot of time of balancing/testing maps if it could be done by the playerbase :-(
    Same for skirmish games? PvE is kinda fun still even after ~1000games, and having strange odd untested/unbalanced maps in it would be neat.
    Sorry just starting to get a bit bored

14. Sokolov

I totally understand. You don't have to apologize. I am a huge proponent of games as a service and we are currently failing in that regard by not providing timely gameplay updates.

But yea, the new client is front end stuff so everything game wise works the same, so which maps the game allows remains the same unless we do a separate task to split them. It is something we have requested but it is one of literally hundreds of tasks on the backlog. That said, it is something I really would like to get even if no new maps are coming because it means you can use any map that exists in nonranked play in theory. But the way maps work is really crazy and not at all easy to work with :(

15. Sokolov

Sometimes I wish I was a programmer so I could just do this stuff on my own. But I do love being a game designer... but you can't get everything you want, especially as a game designer :)

16. Sokolov

Draft is something I intend to push for as soon as the new client is stable. Right now the goal of the client is largely to just have it working, though we have been able make some improvements like embedding the rune manager,etc.

RasielCZ likes this.
  17. Hierokliff

No you dont.
    being a programmer is a nightmare
    oh i still have nightmares about it
    and that's soon 5 years ago i did quit, to go back to something more "physical" as being a tech.
    well programming itself is awesome, problem is to do the magic that some seller/designer has decided without having a clue on if it could actually work and of course the timelines, sure you can sell something thats not possible to code and its supposed to be tested and running at the end of the month. oh you sold it for free also so you could sell something else that gives you extra bonus, and you gave the customer me as contact with my personal phonenumber?
    i dont think ive actually touch code in 5 years, not even scripts or html...
    hmm...
    i need to go kill monsters :)

18. Sokolov

Yea. I am more technically inclined and logical than most designers and programmers are generally appreciative because I do consider technical limitations. My documentation is usually full of flow charts and tables where I specify what I want to be able to control from a feature because asking for it later just pisses everyone off :)

Etherielin and Lushiris like this.
  19. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

You are the one responsible for Pox now, if you can't make it work that's on you. You can't do something 80% and expect it to be successful.

20. chris0024

chris0024 I need me some PIE!

*Looks away from TV (playing new zelda game)

Guess we're still playing the waiting game :confused:

*goes back to cooking in the new zelda game :oops:

DiCEM0nEY likes this.