State of PoxNora 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

But you can test the new client now

chris0024 likes this.
  2. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

sok said its planned to do so^^

3. G3arfried

G3arfried The King of Potatoes

My definition of ''save'' would be making the game more simpler. Right now there are so many abilities and things that offset new players. There are just way too many things going on with a single rune to the point where a new player feels overwhelmed. I tried introducing many friends over the years to pox but they cant stick to it. They just didnt like taking in so many things at once and keeping track of so many abilities on a single rune. If there was a set limit of abilities per rune I think the game would be better.

Most games now days have in depth mechanics but they keep the base outlook simple so its inviting to newer players. If a single champ rune has just 4 abilities I think the game would be very very good. Then it would be easier on a newer players mind and eyes.

Auto attack
    2 interchangeable abilities
    1 negative/positive abilty

This would be a great, anything more just gets too messy. Also spells/equps giving out multiple things is another issue to this cause.

4. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

well not everybody likes simplicity. pox is there where the ones that want to make a step further look. they are not the majority, but still they exist and look for this kind of games. i'm sure devs know that their potential userbase isnt as wide as easier games, but that's not their target i think, right @Sokolov ?

5. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

This has been the plan for a while now, and compared to when DOG took over there has been a lot of simplification work that has happened, and from what Sok has said it looks like it is ongoing.

For example, there is a limit of 8 abilities that is hard wired into each champ (Geddwn made it so there is intentionally no room to show more on the card). And most champs are limited to 5 or 6.

This isn't always as good as it sounds though, since some abilities are wordy, and some grant additional abilities so you can get three or four paragraphs of text linked to one icon.

To an extent this can be offset though set based, intuitive, abilities, so that you won't need to worry to much about reading the text but will quickly learn what things do based on what other things do -- once you know what acid aura does, you don't really need to read what fire aura does for example.

But, yeah I think more work is needed.

Etherielin likes this.
  6. Xiven

Xiven I need me some PIE!

I feel like Champions are perfect, as-are. Pre-Revamp was still fine, but the compound abilities and new level system wrapped them up nicely. Anything more would be unnecessary, anything less would be akin to your pick of generic strategy games, in my eyes. People say there's too much to remember, but no one seems to acknowledges that this is a strategy game, one that is old and has a lot of content, and that it is ultimately easier to pick up than, say, Yu-Gi-Oh, which incorporates a full paragraph of rules text on every single card. Once you can recognize icons, you've done most of the work, and that's the bare minimum of learning, in a video game. Some abilities share icons, sure, but what is that, in brain-processing power? A vague memory that it isn't the ability you normally think of?
    What I'm saying is, PoxNora shouldn't be expected to change to be more like modern, dumbed-down [mobile] games, nor should it ever do so, in my opinion.

7. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

I love this game. Still on a break though. If I come, that'll be with an impact!

8. xRugolth

xRugolth The King of Potatoes

Still waiting for pox on ps4

9. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Thanks for the very helpful input

10. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

It actually is ironically.

11. Halius

Halius The King of Potatoes

Old player, checking in. I still just wish I could play the game. For many years now, a technical issue has prevented my being able to really enjoy the game. It's one that apparently would be easy to fix. Oh well.

All of this manic ADHD talk about "need this" or "need that", like Pox 2.0 or players potentially being overwhelmed by the current game just amazes me. This is one of the coolest games I ever stumbled upon. Definitely in my top five probably. I bet there's a parallel universe where I've had a bunch of fun playing it, spent more money on it, and told all my friends about it.

I don't want to sound too negative. As a player and customer, my money simply came with a caveat that never warranted a priority, and I understand that. It's just business. I'm happy the game is still around after all these years, and that people who aren't me are able to play and enjoy it. :)

Oh, here's that technical issue I mentioned.

Etherielin and Hierokliff like this.
  12. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

If your thing is single player campaigns, there are a million other games which offer better ones, (tactics ogre gaiden, for example) and plenty of table top games which you'd probably enjoy.

13. Halius

Yeah, I've tried a bunch of other games, and I'll look into your suggestion, for sure. But isn't that also a little like telling a years-long Star Trek fan who can't save (or at least pause for an extended time, like while at work), "Why don't you play this Battlefleet Gothic game? It's got some better campaigns anyway."

Like with most normal humans, a lot of it just boils down to preferential and subjective tastes. I'm a PoxNora fan, or at least I've tried to be. I could probably go on for a few thousand words singing PoxNora's praises. I agree with almost the entire direction of the game these past few years — except the one technical problem that keeps me out. It just feels like the joke's on me because, now that I'm older, more responsible, and can't devote hours upon hours in a single gaming session, I finally have money that I could be spending on hobbies like this — and there's no point. LOL?

I'm fine with Pox Nora's campaigns. Really, I love 'em. But over the year's, I've come to realize that DOG doesn't consider time-strapped campaign players a target, just like SOE didn't, and maybe they have the data-mining to support that position, I dunno. Sucks to be me, lol?

14. Halius

Also, Dice, for what it's worth, I'd feel like a chump after all the money I already invested in it. Assuming I don't already fall in that category. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Halius

I do want to suggest that when/if DOG ever attempts a "PoxNora 2.0", maybe consider taking on a different theme (classic science fiction, superheroes, horror, or whatever; maybe a mashup — although I've always wanted to see y'all do superheroes). Imagine all the cool decks ("supergroups?"), PvP battles, and campaigns. Maybe even a save game option. But I wouldn't suggest attempting to outdo PoxNora. PoxNora's strengths and weaknesses are different things to different people, and the court of public criticism could be bad for DOG, not to mention demoralizing.

16. LordOrlock

LordOrlock New Member

Uh, Desert Owl is making a turn based multiplayer hex-grid strategy scifi game called Space Wars, but it wont play anything like Pox aside from being multiplayer and being turn based. IIRC you only control just one or a couple spaceships, but theres multiple players per team per game.

http://www.spacewars.com/the-game