Status of Pox Nora clones and derivative games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vyrnell, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Vyrnell

Vyrnell I need me some PIE!

I know several people on this forum were working on Pox Nora clones (@Capitulator, @LoganMkv ) when it became apparent that our game is in its twilight hour. Does anyone know the status of those projects? Or has anyone started making a game that's inspired by Pox but not quite a clone?

If anyone IS out there working hard to preserve this singular gem of video game history, then I'd be happy to help develop it.

aseryen likes this.
  2. Vyrnell

Yeah, I'm more than happy to help develop a Pox substitute, but I'd rather not start anew if someone already has one in the works.

aseryen likes this.
  3. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Gnomes, MentalMoles and aseryen like this.
  4. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

@Capitulator is the most up-to-date and relevant model being worked on for sure. Essenceborn is looking great, so props to those helping with that.

I’m taking a different approach with my model. Top down it will play similar to Poxnora but I’ve been working on this for some time now; not expecting Poxnora to have gone the way it did and having taken a lot of inspiration from the game I’m happy calling it a clone/spin-off what have you.

Development wise I’m working on hardware rn, prepping myself and future workflow(s) to incorporate stronger AI mechanics along with physical assets. Short/Long term I’m also hoping to have blockchain play a role - again been working on this for some time, I played Niantic Labs Ingress for all of one capture and realized that PoxGo(only coined after PokemonGo) is our future. Started with a dream and the expectation that Poxnora would still be developed, so honest to say I’ve been trying to learn as much as I can to get a project off the ground.

2020 I plan to release a vertical slice without my stretch goals to get at least a 3D environment for our world. Of the 52 races...I added more, my goal is to fully flesh out any kind of Tolkien lore that can be had along with being in some meta-mechanics that catch my eye. All in all the demo/vertical slice will play as a Museum-style walkthrough similar to UE4 demo in 2014.

Since the demonstration and release of UE4(free) I have been working on:
    • Environments
    • Creature/Character Design
    • Skinning/Texturing
    • Modeling/Rigging
    • Lighting/FX
    • Anything 3D related
    Audio is out of my wheelhouse but I’ve always wanted to record my own foley and character reactions, hence the out of this world email address below.

Anyone interested may email me at: [email protected]

5. aseryen

If this gets rolling I’d like to help out. I’m a night owl so whatever schedule is set I’ll work towards being available.

Do you have any ideas blocked out for what you want to create as far as content? I’ve wanted to do this but every time I sit down to record for the community I feel like I’m behind on the project. There seemed to be a little interest for a DevSeries so at the very least I can help out with those kind of videos.

6. oyo97

oyo97 I need me some PIE!

Hello. I myself develop a board game which has aspects of poxnora but has more rpg elements in it. I recently decided to give it a try and develop a computer game out of it. I currently looking for programmer(c#. unity) and designer.
    See im poor so i cant afford anything but i wanna realize this game so bad. If we can make a finish product at the end im happily give % of the income.
    I have a Version of it in Tabletop simulator(unscripted) but unluckily only in german yet ;P
    anyway if some ppl are interested i might do a english version so you could play the game if u have doubts if its worth the effort ;P for more details or question pm me !

aseryen likes this.
  7. aseryen

I’ve never interacted with Daggan but hope that pans out for him. Are they octopiV on instagram? Someone has that IG account and posts a lot of the original artwork.

Buyout or not I would still help with some kind of community driven content. If not a documentary we could work on a timeline of lore. I like the gameplay spin although, I’m not sure how a documentary would work for gameplay except for a post-mortem. I watch a lot of those on GDC, but those talks are usually left to people who have worked on the game so there’s that little hiccup.

I think it would be cool if some of the people who made 3rd party resources get a chance to speak on a few things. They were in part why Poxnora lasted as long as it did.

Anyway, good luck to you Daggan, wherever you are and whatever needs done to be done I hope for the best.

8. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

will be getting in some more recordings of caps pox soon if possible. we played a few together just the other day, but could not record them .

Fentum and aseryen like this.
  9. Vyrnell

This looks fantastic! I downloaded Essenceborn but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'll definitely check it out at some point this week.

An AR Pox definitely has me intrigued. Looking forward to what you release in 2020.

I have experience with c# and unity, so I'd be willing to spend some time on that project. I don't speak German though. :(
    It might be fun to make a video with lots of Pox artwork that sort of builds Poxanthuru and consolidates the lore into a narrated history. Kind of like a documentary or exposition piece. I'll start thinking about this and scripting it out.

I do think @Sokolov expressed interest in writing a post-mortem before.

indajungle and MrCharles like this.