Steam user experience with "revamped" Pox Nora

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcus Aseth, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Marcus Aseth

Marcus Aseth The King of Potatoes

I would have another solution for the same frustration problem,and this come straight from Dota 2 (also team fortress 2 I think) (because noone need to re-invent the wheel) ;)

Those guys saw the future or something,they realized that could easily happen to lose even 3-4 games in a row and that the frustration could easily lead someone to quit thinking "I had enough of this!",so at the end of the game they put a "random consolation prize".
    It means that when the game ends,there is a random chance that random players from both the winning and the losing team get random items of random rarity. It not happen always,doing an averange I would say that a player receive an item every 3-4 games,and that's like winning a lottery,it is enough to keep you going,because even losing 3 games one could still look at the bright side of having a new item,it was not all "wasted time" failing after all,or he could even start a new game with the spirit of "I will drop something this time?!" instead of quitting and uninstalling in rage,like me yesterday.

In the same way,Pox Nora could somethimes randomly give you a random card,no matter if you lose or win,it would be a welcome surprise if you win,or a consolation prize if you lose,and it would probably take the mind off the frustration of losing against an overwhelming powerful opponent. Gold doesn't give the same "feeling" of receiving a card,it doesn't make you feel like if you actually achieved something and made some progress.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Pox is in many ways an unfinished game. Best you can do is treat it as such and pray they improve on the areas you mention.

3. Marcus Aseth

Though Something like this shouldn't be a piece of cake to implement for the creators?! :S Mh...probably only a programmer would know for sure,I have no idea about the work behind it :/

4. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

It should do, but the coders at sony made such a mess of all the coding that the simplest off things now takes much more time it should need and has the possibiliy of ruining other things in the process. So once again, yay Sony...

5. BigToastie

BigToastie The King of Potatoes

First of all, thank you for actually posting your views on this game from a NUX, as a lot of pox's player base were vets until the Steam re-launch, and like BP said, we take it for granted.

Premade decks, are a good idea, if you don't like them don't use them.
    (You can create normal games in the BG lobby to test decks without ranking)

Ranking - the longer you are in the queue the higher your range of opponents
    (Example 30 seconds there might be a 1000 ranking gap either way to match you up with, after 1 min it increaes - I THINK)
    Try to join Queue stay in then leave, I know its a pain but remember a lot of the new players are still learning in Single Player (and getting gold)

Get a guild, generally guildies are very helpful with modifying your decks with you, or explaining why certain things don't work rather than doing it for you. You can also ask them to watch your games and see where you went wrong (as there is no replay option so you cant necessarily see it first hand!)

Get gold and Get packs.
    Do the daily quests and skirmishers, this alone gets you nearly an extended pack a day (Dont by the core packs get Extended) - you might get lucky and get a high value rune to start you off with a high!

Farm Skirmishers for Core Set runes, you get a rune a game, and gold too!
    - If you are interested in still playing I can hook you up and show you a skirmish farming BG that gets you about 15runes every 35 minutes or so (+ the small amounts of gold add up too)

Again its true, if you have a bad experience to start you don't want to carry on, but honestly, the beauty lies on the inside of Pox, its tough buggy exterior, once broken past, you get years of fun games.

Lastly pick a faction, that way you can work towards runes and search for runes (+ I dont mind giving people some runes if they stick around) :)

If there is anyway I can help you (or any New User) PM Me in game or via the site :)

DarkJello and tehnicianu like this.
  6. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I feel like deck building could be made a part of the tutorial progression somehow.

If you could change the starter decks (were given the starter runes) with the rune rewards you get through the tasks then this might give a gentler progression, rather than just trying to cobble together a deck from scratch.

Joker, Sirius, TeaScholar and 6 others like this.
  7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Great review. We told them the game was no where ready for steam release until we were ran out of here with pitchforks by the fanboys but they didn't care.

The best you ever get is "we hope to work on that in the future" but who knows if they will, and if they do its the flip of a coin if they'll get it right.

The resources are here, however, should they ever actually want to succeed.

8. tehnicianu

tehnicianu New Member

Phweeew!!! Finally a constructive reply to a thread about some genuine and absolutely valid concerns of a new guy. GJ :)

9. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

Adding some guidance to the process is a great idea. Maybe start the newbie off with a complete battlegroup of base-set commons, uncommons, and rares in the faction of the user's choice, then tailor the rune rewards in the NUX to that faction. By the end of the process, the user owns a battlegroup, a couple of exotics that fit nicely in their theme, and they feel like they're ready to kick some ass.

10. Marcus Aseth

@BigToastie : I am not ready for any commitment to Pox Nora since I follow too many games and I like to keep "the horizons opens",I am not the kind of guy that can stick with the same game forever ^_^' Also,for me receiving runes from others is bad as receiving spoilers of a tv serie I follow,because I feel like is something I have to get by myself,is part of the fun,if someone else do it for me then...I lose something xD Nonetheless thanks for the offer ;)

11. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

12. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I swear to god if he named the thread "cod"

13. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

gooooooood daammit senshu

TeaScholar likes this.
  14. Marcus Aseth

Ok,some new thoughts.

I think that Steam browser isn't handling very well the fact that it is required for the deck building aspect of the game. Basically when it display lets say the marketplace,or the runeforge,in all the pages there is not a button to switch to another section of the deck building,wich force the player to shift+tab,screen flickering for 2 seconds,click the button of where you want to go from inside the game. But as a resoult (let's said I had clicked "Rune Manager" button) the new page I open replace the old one instead of opening another page next to it,so become very tedious and difficult to watch both at the same time the runes inside your battlegroup and the rune you want to forge to put them in it...basically you need to memorize all inside your deck,then go to the forge tab and look for the card it could improve it,without forgetting all the info of your deck xD
    Wouldn't even be that bothering if it wasn't for the fact that steam browser is slow to load (at least for me) and simple action like sacrificing some card become extremely slow and tedious,almost painful to do x_x

But probably here I'm stating the obvious and doesn't require a new player from Steam to notice that this "method" of handling the deck building is extremely weird and painful compared to other card games.
    I hope that in the future it will be implemented into the game :p

How do you guys feel about it?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  15. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Well, you used to only be able to access the rune manager from the main site, so it's a definite improvement there, but it could use work, yeah.

16. Oldmaster

Oldmaster I need me some PIE!

I really prefer using the web page for that stuff, unless I'm just switching out a small part of an existing deck.

Anima26 likes this.
  17. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

This is such an awesome idea. I would pay good money to be able to buy a full meta worthy deck "out of box". Seriously devs, this needs to happen. Theme decks were tried but an actual meta deck to play with the option to buy is AMAZING. I am sick of going through poxbox, poxbrothers, ebay, random players, and 15 other places that are "illegal" just to try and make a deck. Let me give my money to you pox. Also make shards buyable but that is another topic.

EDIT: Also why are the current public decks not buyable?

iPox, Sunutsu, Etherielin and 2 others like this.
  18. Marcus Aseth

I ****ed up... xD

I understood now how to retrieve the cards for my previous account,problem is in the meantime,this past 3 days I was playing in a newly created account... xD
    Basically now with the old one,I'm back to own a decent number of cards, 35k gold and 500 nora (wich I just spent on Thirion :S) and I think I'll keep playing with this one. Any chance to merge my 2 account so to retain the cards purchased in the market those past 3 days?!

DarkJello likes this.
  19. tehnicianu

tehnicianu New Member

Well u could anytime just trade the runes from the new account to your old account.

BurnPyro likes this.
  20. Marcus Aseth

I see,I'll try that,thx :)