strategies of the game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polltroy, Nov 20, 2017.

1. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

please list more like this, and weather devs approve or not:

1. unexpected shrine rush - disallowed
    2. obvious shrine rush by glitch - dsiallowed
    3. nora build up without fonts - disallowed ?
    4. font advantage and wait out
    5. main champs advantage and wait out
    6. super defence advantage and wait out
    7. font rush - disallowed
    8. rush for kill - disallowed
    9. nagging on shrine to force avatar transition - allowed
    10. summon champs build up and wait out
    11. super champ build up
    12. bonus ability combo abuse (deep wounds, hunter, magic etc)

and final question: why do we still have a shrine? if none of the allowed strategies are about killing shrine to end game, why we have a shrine? Better make shrine impervious or something like that? Shrine could be like a font you cant capture, so game can go on forever kind of. Game could end by some points fulfilled or after a certain time passed or some Bane Shift like that.

2. polltroy

maybe devs should focus on making new strategies possible in the game, instead banning old ones. maybe what made this game intresting was you could have so many different strategies. not just choose between what race to use or what colour on the champs etc... but real difference and real different paths and goals of the game

3. polltroy

13. kill one champ per turn - super allowed, enhanced by healing, sacrifice, swap etc etc etc

4. limone1981

limone1981 I need me some PIE!

you are not mentioning the most annoying strategies ( also the most difficult to put in motion)related to gimmicky decks.

there are tons of "weird" interactions that makes this game interesting, and also is not devs role to find strategy for the game, but is ours, the playerbase, to use the rules of the games at our advantage for our playstyle.
    if you know only to rush in the most elementary way than this game, for its complexity is not for you.

5. polltroy

it seems to me the goal of devs is to find all those weird interactions and make just a few of the above strategies "allowed", making the game plain and booring.

6. polltroy

14. find weird interactions and abuse them until devs have time to stop it

7. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

1. Define "unexpected".
    2. Glitches, by definition, are disallowed and patched out. You should never consider a glitch or a bug to be an intended decision by devs.
    3. Still a thing for FS and FS splits.
    4. Still possible, but why wait?
    5. Still possible, but again - why wait instead of ending the game?
    6. Still possible, just takes a bit more experience to pull off.
    7. Still possible, requires more tools than in the past.
    8. Still possible, requires more nora investment.
    9. As you said - that's still a thing.
    10. That's still viable, especially in themes like skeletons or spiders.
    11. Still viable - DortyBoy is even playing a BG specifically designed around that.
    12. Still viable - Deep Wounds still work the way they did and there are a lot of deep wounds champs. Hunter was readjusted and can still be combined with trample to be strong. Define "magic" - if you mean magic amp, that's still viable and fully functional, you simply need to readjust your BG as you run only a single magic amp champion out of 5 available.
    13. That's been a thing since forever. Even 8 years ago it was a thing.
    14. Most weird interactions are either intended or fall under "glitches" category, which means that they'll be patched out not because someone wants to spite you or remove strategy, but because it was never meant to be there in the first place.

I like you, polltroy, because you always use something nobody else does (even if you happen to be unsuccessful), but take a seat for a moment and reconsider some of your points.

Kampel likes this.
  8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

okay we get it, you feel like rush decks suck.

Geez

super71 likes this.
  9. polltroy

this is a list of strategies and weather or not they are disallowed by devs. I did never say all these gamestyles were not allowed or dead. Just I make this list to point out that this game was great BECAUSE there were many ways to play it. And when devs kill some of those game paths, they slowly also kill the game.

What I always adviced devs was... if u don't like something, if its too easy to win in some way or if too many games are played in a way you don't like. Don't kill that rune/ability/champ/gamestyle. Just use the nora cost or some other relevant numbers to make it less effective, not taking it completely out but just making it much more difficult to use effectively. (but not impossible to use effectively, there is a fine thread here for devs not to overdo nerfs)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  10. Etherielin

I don't understand your point then - why should devs allow glitches and bugs to be viable interactions in any game? They were not meant to be there in the first place. Everything else you brought up is still there.

Kampel likes this.
  11. polltroy

the glithes and bugs, 14, they should work against. Not the rest.

12. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Bottom line, if something creates an unenjoyable experience for majority of players, yes it should be removed.

Garu shrine rush is neither enjoyable & it also relied on a glitch with hibernate to work.

As of now siege still exists & still ignores shrine resistance, but no longer adds damage because ignoring resistance is already a significant damage increase.
    To claim that rushing as a whole in both ways is no longer a viable tactic is just a blanket statement because the old obnoxious way of rushing is no longer possible. You can still continually snipe from mid font once you have control, you can still hurr durr rush a shrine.

Perhaps you should actually try these things in game now before you come in here & whine about how it's no longer possible. A page & a half across 3 days isnt really a particularly large sample size for this game to be able to justify these kinds of blanket statements

13. polltroy

1. it should be enough to read description of rune to understand devs intentions. What you talk about siege still half working is just like using a glitch right now. Devs intentionally killed Siege and Shrine rush and they happened to fail half way and it will prob be fixed soon...

2. you mix what majority of top 50 forum posters feel unenjoyable with what majority of all rank players feel enjoyable

3. something that is unenjoyable when you lose against it is also good for the game. loosing must be part of the game not only long cheese waiting... point is if something is used a lot then make it little less effective, don't delete it completely. If 1 game out of 100 is lost against some shirne rush, then that is just fun. If 1 game out of 3 is lost against shrine rush then that's probably annoying.

4. this game is great BECAUSE top players can be beaten sometimes with special strategies. It can pay off to spend hours after hours to read runes and try to make a new strategy, until that strategy is too wide spread and a lot of decks are adjusted to counter it. That's part of the fun of the game.

5. if you want games where top players never are beated by the lower ranks, like in chess. Then go and play chess!

14. Etherielin

1. They didn't kill shrine rush. They killed shrine rush that relied purely on siege as the ability.

2. Which is exactly what happens.

3. That's what they did to siege - it's still effective, just not to the point it used to be.

4. That still happens.

5. In almost every game a top rank player has a serious edge against a lower rank player - even in chess a lower rank player can beat a higher rank player purely by the virtue of being less predictable.

15. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

i also disagree with your point polly

16. polltroy

1. They didn't kill shrine rush. They killed shrine rush that relied purely on siege as the ability.

Devs may not have killed shrine rush yet, but their intention surely is to kill it, and so has many of the posters here confirmed. The top forum posters together with devs want so so so much shrine rush to be gone from the game. It does not matter if they succeeded completely yet or not.

17. polltroy

yes my main point is that mot of the forum posters don't like shrine rush and that you all guys disagree with me just proves my point! however most of the players of the game are NOT forum posters. Are NOT top rank players.

18. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

i meant your first post point. I disagree those strategies were removed or disallowed and i think you are just angry that to rush now you need different runes than the ones you used to play.
    I agree with macca and Etheri here, you are not seeing these changes from the right point of view.

19. polltroy

I like a lot of the recent changes, but I don't like this crusade about limiting the game to some 1 kill per turn 1 champ out per turn cheese.

20. polltroy

and just now I played a game and someone tried to rush my cheese magic deck with some angel. he lost big time