Stuck in dead city over holiday, what do?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GemmaXylia, Jan 14, 2017.

1. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Okay so I'm kind of in a really lame situation right now and I'm struggling to work out what to do. I'm hoping either writing it all down will give me (or one of you will have) an idea to fix this scenario!

Okay so I'm in China right now to study. Chinese New Year is the largest holiday here and everyone goes back to their home town for this holiday and some cities become pretty empty. Loads of places close early etc and on the 28th Jan most places are closed all day.

Originally I was supposed to be doing a homestay where I would be living with one of the friends I made here with her family for 3 weeks so I could experience the family culture during this holiday and would visit a new city to explore etc... but u fortunately her mother got really sick last week and they had to cancel the visit. (That's totally fine these things happen and I hope her mum gets better soon! But now I'm stuck.)

I was planning to just stay on campus and visit some local places during the holiday because trains and planes are all very expensive and very busy at this time of year but I didn't realise all the canteens and places on campus close over the holiday. From Jan 20 - February 6 there is no where to eat at the university and all the facilities like library, gym etc are closed so I think I would be miserable staying here. All of my friends are doing homestays or booked holidays back home months in advance etc..

I thought maybe I could just have a relaxing holiday myself and go to a beach in Thailand or something like that.. but over this holiday period a flight to Thailand is literally triple the price it normally would be, and then on top of that having to buy a hotel and food/activities etc is going to cost so much money. (I'm a student I'm poor)

It's also really really cold in most
    Of China right now, so it would be difficult to go explore some tourist places because I don't really have the right winter clothes to spend all day outside, so I wanted to visit somewhere warm.

Do you use any special websites to book hotels or flights that can give some great last minute deals? I literally just want to be off my campus for as long as possible from the 20th-6th a 2 week holiday or something but I need to keep costs down as much as possible. I remember people saying that last minute holidays like a few days before the trip get reduced super low to sell all the tickets but this is not my experience? I'm finding everything is much more expensive. A flight to Bali was nearly 6 times the price to fly next week compared to in two months on a random date I chose. What do I dooooo?

Tldr: my uni campus closes for 2 weeks where can I find really cheap deals on flights and hotels cause I'm poor and need to save money where I can lol

2. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

Haha I'm partying hard just south of you.

3. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

Sucks to suck

4. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I'd stay home and play vidyagames, but I'm a nerd.

Ask other good friends you've made whether they've got space? Dunno how acceptable that would be in China.

darklord48 likes this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I heard travelling or trying to get anything done around Chinese new year is hard to impossible.

...have you considered looting?
    otherwise do what Boozha would do.

NevrGonaGivUup and BurnPyro like this.
  6. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

I got annoyed with how expensive it is to travel outside of China so I have planned an adventure within the country instead!

6 hours of research and 5 booked flights later.. I spent about 75% of the cost of the Thailand flights I wanted, so I guess it was worth it. Now I just need to book 5 different hotels/hostels... and try not to miss any of my flights hahahahahaha incoming update: missed my first flight or something. -.-

Where are you at azn? I'm going to Haikou, Guilin, Shanghai, Beijing and Chengdu.

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Fixed.

BurnPyro likes this.
  8. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

A few years ago, I spent my holidays on a round trip Beijing, Shanghai, Guilin, Yangshuo and back to Beijing. Your trip sounds like a great plan.

9. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

read books. cheap and effective.

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I read books and you lied about the costs.

books are expensive... but worth it.