Swarm onto Lava

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by kalasle, Dec 3, 2015.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Swarms will not generate onto units with Death Nova Lava.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Which Swarm was this?

What is happening here is that each "deploy" effect has to specifically state that it ignores damaging terrain, so has to be fixed individually.

3. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Playing a game killed an opponent's monster with a champ that had zombie apocalypse on it with 5 zombies out. My new summon sounded like it was coming into play, never summoned. Basically cost me the game as it didn't block the path to my support units because it never summoned.

When I plan out a brilliant turn for a game changer, proceed to execute said plan and then get screwed by another bug it's sorta infuriating.

4. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I don't think swarms have ever spawned on damaging terrain.

5. super71

Yeah well the real question is why not, it doesn't make any sense, if anything the unit should come into play and take some damage from the terrain. My guess is a coding issue where the terrain blocks the summon from summoning.

Inconsistencies like this are why pox is so hard to get into.

Nowhere in any of the swarm descriptions does it say, unless your summon is being spawned on damaging terrain. Also nowhere in the damaging terrain does it say something like this.

6. Sokolov

Whether or not a particular effect summons on damaging terrain depends on the specific effect, since it is an override flag:

upload_2016-6-15_12-46-26.png

In "ye olde Pox" things didn't summon on damaging terrain by default - and have slowly been converted. This was the rule of the game back then. You were not allowed to deploy on damaging terrain (or even chasms). Due to popular player demand, this was changed, but does require each individual instance be changed.

I don't know what exactly DMR is referring to when he says "now sometimes they don't" but I suspect he isn't talking about the same exact ability which is why it seems there is a discrepancy but the reality is that each ability has its own code. That said, if there's a SPECIFIC Swarm that sometimes does and sometimes not, I'd like to know since that'd be a really weird bug.

In any case, Swarms after next patch should be more consistent as we just went through them for another reason to make them work better with Stitched/Rider abilities.

7. super71

Zombies, swarm festering corpse does not spawn on damaging terrain.

8. Sokolov

Yes. As I said, Swarms were just reviewed so should all be deploying on damaging terrain next patch, while all also using the same template codepath.

What is more concerning is if what DMR says is actually happening, it's possible that, for example, some specific type of damaging terrain is not flagged correctly somewhere and denying deployment. So again, if there are SPECIFIC swarms that sometimes DO deploy, but sometimes DO NOT - details on that would be very useful - which ability, what terrain/situation it worked in, and then, same ability, and what terrain/situation it didn't work in.

So would appreciate ANY info on that aspect, if it exists.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  9. Sokolov

What were the details of the success vs the failure? If the difference was damaging terrain then that should be fixed with next patch.

10. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I posted a thread about it in bugs shortly after as it has been happening a lot lately. I think it might be the old Wandering Zombie issue again where if it dies and the respawns as the 5th zombie the swarms seem to go all wonky. Also having suspicions that Rotwrapper does the same thing when his spawns are the 5th zombie.

Though that said i'm wondering if it might be something to do with ZA in general. I've noticed on several occasions now that after deploying the 5th zombie only that 5th zombie that was just deployed will get the swarm proc, none of the other deployed zombies will get it until a 6th is deployed.

11. Sokolov

I will check Death Nova, but it is definitely possible there's some interaction there.

super71 likes this.
  12. Sokolov

Hmm... yea, so it might be a Zombie Apocalypse problem as well.

13. potatonuts

I think we can debunk that one as i have since been able to swarm other players' A.Corpses with Death Nova as an upgrade.

Death Nova: Lava seems to be the real issue but i think that is a terrain issue rather than a swarm one. I got destroyed by that stupid Lavaspout deck recently because i couldn't swarm them.

14. potatonuts

Yes i take it on everything that can. Though they don't need to count toward the 5 total, it just needs to be a zombie.

15. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Pede splits also avoid damaging terrain (i posted it on bug forums so it might already be in your list), other funny thing is that my magnepedes are inmune to the knockback effect of "slam"(happened once today in a ranked game), because when split triggers its like it nullyfied KB. (would be cool if the clone was the one affected by knockback, its like you shot a piece of body from the original creature, tho it would be a problem if it colapsed with itself)

16. potatonuts

Absolutely agree i just happen to be running them differently at the moment.

It must have just been banner, I don't run Grim Well in zombies and i doubt i would have deployed Piles/Corpse-a-pult againt an opposing zombie deck.

17. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Exactly that way :p

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Consolidating this with the pre-existing bug report. In the future, please post things in the proper venue, and ideally check the first page or so to see if the bug has already been reported.

19. super71

It's death nova lava and lava I believe that is causing the issue, that's what mine was and a few others.

20. Sokolov

As I explained the issue is this flag has to be set or it won't deploy on certain types of terrain that was originally considered "non-deployable" when the game was originally built:
    [​IMG]

It technically afflicts things such as Chasms and all damaging terrain, but Lava is, indeed, the easiest way to test it.