Sylvan Phoenix

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Xirone, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Sylvan Phoenix
    Faction: K'thir Forest, Race: Beast & Elemental, Class: None, Size: Small, Rarity: Exotic
    Artwork: A pile of ashes is spontaneously bursting into flame. The flame is in the shape of a magnificent eagle.
    Flavor-Text: "Ashes to ashes and dust to dust. Until I met the Sylvan Phoenix for myself, I thought there were no exceptions to the rule." -Menalaus the Priest
    Nora Cost: 90

Champions Stats
    DMG: 10, SPD: 7, RNG: 1-3, DEF: 0, HP: 50

Champion Abilities
    Attack: Fire- This unit makes a Fire attack at its Range. This is a basic attack.
    Death Nova: Fire 3- When this unit is destroyed, it deals 11 Fire damage to each champion and Relic within 2 spaces, and deals half that much damage to any Shrine within 2 spaces. This damage ignores DEF.
    Flight-This champion is Flying (This unit ignores restrictions and penalties imposed by terrain and may move across chasm spaces without dying. This unit has two additional ranks of Sentry and is immune to the effects of Lumbering unless Grounded).
    Immunity: Fire- Fire damage that would be dealt to this unit is prevented. This unit may not become Charred.
    Initiative 1- When this champion is deployed, it gains 1 AP for each opposing champion in play, to a maximum of 7.
    Undying Embers- When this champion is killed, it is respawned at the beginning of the next turn on the nearest space within your Shrine deployment zone (if your Avatar has Transfigured, this champion respawns on the nearest adjacent space to the Avatar). When this effect triggers, this champion permanently loses -10 MAX HP.
    Vulnerability: Frost- When this unit takes Frost damage, that damage is increased by 40% (after DEF).

Champion Upgrades
    Amplify Fire- Fire damage is increased by 10%.
    Evasive 2- This unit takes 35% less damage (after DEF) from ranged attacks.
    Grace of the Dead 1- When this unit dies, all friendly champions recover 6 HP. At the start of your next turn, all friendly champions recover 3 HP.
    Grand Entrance- When this unit is deployed, the closest enemy champion is Awestruck (This unit has its DMG reduced by 50% and -1 SPD) for 3 turns.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. Xirone

This is meant to be a signature champion with a penchant for staying alive. He starts off with 50 HP and then loses 10 MAX HP each time he respawns (when he can't lose anymore HP, he officially dies). He is fast but not overly strong in the other categories. His upgrades can help him when he is alive (Amplify Fire and Evasive 2) and when he dies/reignites (Grace of the Dead and Grand Entrance). It is hard to put an accurate price on him but 90 sounds about right to me.

Thoughts?

3. Xirone

I am toying with the idea of removing Death: Nova 3 from base and changing the upgrades to...

Burnt Greeting- When this champion comes into play, all enemy champions become Charred 3.
    Death Nova: Fire 4- When this unit is destroyed, it deals 14 Fire damage to each champion and Relic within 2 spaces, and deals half that much damage to any Shrine within 2 spaces. This damage ignores DEF.
    Grace of the Dead 1- When this unit dies, all friendly champions recover 6 HP. At the start of your next turn, all friendly champions recover 3 HP.
    Grand Entrance- When this unit is deployed, the closest enemy champion is Awestruck (This unit has its DMG reduced by 50% and -1 SPD) for 3 turns.

4. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

I would agree with dropping Death Nova and changing the upgrades. This thing should have 0 defensive abilities outside of the Majestic and Immunity to roll with the "Dying" theme. My only problem is I wouldn't take any of the upgrades besides GotD1 and Grand Entrance, since it dies/comes back so often.........Nova maybe for a fire bg in UD, but you haven't said what faction it is. I assume KF since Menal. is talking?

Also, Burnt Greeting should be Burning Greeting?

5. Xirone

Hehe, I was vacillating between Burnt Greeting and Burning Greeting and neither of them sounded perfect. Also, you guessed it right, this champ was designed for KF. I will probably put those upgrades as the official suggestion (since he shouldn't have any defensive abilities).

6. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Just pencil in at the top that its KF, so it's easier to do a once-over on.

You are right, neither of them sound good. Acidic Greeting, Static Greeting......OH I GOT IT! Searing Greeting?

EDIT: Oh also, can you trade me reviews and go review my "Elite Executioner" suggestion? Thanks <3

7. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

I think -10 max HP is a lil too OP, considering he would have 50+40+30+20+10 HP = 180HP in total despite having to run around. And he would be so abusable with Sacrifice/Ret

And when he's at 10HP, I can magnify beast him so he'd be respawned with 45HP, and start the cycle all over again.

Maybe tweak the ability a bit, not sure how

8. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Red makes a good point. Give it Pariah so no spells and boom, perfect!

RedScarlet likes this.
  9. Xirone

Sylvan Phoenix (Updated)
    Faction: K'thir Forest, Race: Beast & Elemental, Class: None, Size: Small, Rarity: Exotic
    Artwork: A pile of ashes is spontaneously bursting into flame. The flame is in the shape of a magnificent eagle. The background is the Seared Forest. No other creatures or elves are present.
    Flavor-Text: When the Deep Elves burned K'thir, they unknowingly unleashed a unique power on the world. Born of flame and birthed in tragedy, the Sylvan Phoenix guards the Seared Forest until it heals.
    Nora Cost: 90

Champions Stats
    DMG: 10, SPD: 7, RNG: 1-3, DEF: 0, HP: 48

Champion Abilities
    Attack: Fire- This unit makes a Fire attack at its Range. This is a basic attack.
    Bloodless- This unit cannot be Sacrificed and is immune to Eviscerated and Chilled.
    Flight-This champion is Flying (This unit ignores restrictions and penalties imposed by terrain and may move across chasm spaces without dying. This unit has two additional ranks of Sentry and is immune to the effects of Lumbering unless Grounded).
    Immunity: Fire- Fire damage that would be dealt to this unit is prevented. This unit may not become Charred.
    Initiative 1- When this champion is deployed, it gains 1 AP for each opposing champion in play, to a maximum of 7.
    Planar Bound- This unit is immune to relocate and remove from play effects.
    Undying Embers- When this champion is killed, it is respawned at the beginning of the next turn on the nearest space within your Shrine deployment zone (if your Avatar has Transfigured, this champion respawns on the nearest adjacent space to the Avatar). When this effect triggers, this champion permanently loses -12 MAX HP and -1 DMG.

Champion Upgrades
    Death Nova: Fire 4- When this unit is destroyed, it deals 14 Fire damage to each champion and Relic within 2 spaces, and deals half that much damage to any Shrine within 2 spaces. This damage ignores DEF.
    Fiery Entrance- When this champion comes into play, all enemy champions become Charred 3.

10. Xirone

The updated version lost 2 HP from base and, in addition, loses 12 HP each time it respawns (and loses 1 DMG). This makes it so that champ has a total of 120 HP but is easy to snipe from a distance, especially on later deploys (keep in mind he only respawns at the shrine). He lost Death Nova from base and gains Planar Bound, so that he can't re-enter play with the original HP. Lastly, his upgrades were changed so that he has a nice mix of on-death and on-respawn effects.

11. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

I really don't think that fire is a good theme to be splashing around KF. It makes sense within the D'elim theme, but i feel that should be isolated. De'lim is bringing forbidden arts to K'thir. Dark magic in the form of the Warspirit, Fire to consume and channel the life of the forest, and a sense of brutality & "ends justify the means" attitude that didn't exist in K'thir before; these things come from, and belong in, the D'elim theme.

The K'thir Forest already has it's own brand of immortality in the form of the Wood Elemental, and there is already a very similar rune to this in the form of the Firemaw. There's really no other place for this rune to reside.

12. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Thats good though Prami, it's mold breaking. I support it!

Also, Xirone, Parmi is right about the need for anti-saccing mechanics. I'd add Pariah or Bloodless to it so that it can't be abused.

13. Xirone

Yeah, I'll concede that may be needed. To keep him looking clean, I'll take Vulnerability: Frost off and replace it with one of those. Also, from a flavor perspective, the Sylvan Phoenix could be a result of the Seared Forest (on the Pox world map). The Deep Elves burned the southern part of K'thir; perhaps they unleashed a power when they did so? The Phoenix could be purely good and coincidentally happen to work well with De'lim & friends.

14. Xirone

I updated the second version as promised! Bloodless is in and Vuln. Frost is out. Also, I updated the flavor text to explain the fiery aspect within the context of KF...

Flavor-Text: "When the Deep Elves burned K'thir, they unknowingly unleashed a unique power on the world. Born of flame and birthed in tragedy, the Sylvan Phoenix guards the Seared Forest until it heals."

15. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

I approve of the runes current state, but it still needs the faction on the top ;P

16. Xirone

Got those in.

17. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Now we just need a greenie's opinion! Try messaging one of them and link them the thread, they might respond.

18. Xirone

Sylvan Phoenix (No New Ability Version)
    Artwork: A pile of ashes is spontaneously bursting into flame. The flame is in the shape of a magnificent eagle. The background is the Seared Forest. No other creatures or elves are present.
    Flavor-Text: When the Deep Elves burned K'thir, they unknowingly unleashed a unique power on the world. Born of flame and birthed in tragedy, the Sylvan Phoenix guards the Seared Forest until it heals.
    Nora Cost: 84

Champions Stats
    DMG: 10, SPD: 7, RNG: 1-3, DEF: 0, HP: 48

Champion Abilities
    Equalize- If your enemy controls more champions than you, receive a 20% nora refund when this champion comes into play.
    Perseverance- Whenever this champion's health falls below 1, it loses Perseverance and it is Cleansed, it's current health is set to 1, gains Invulnerable, Impenetrable, and Shielded until the end of that turn.
    Resurrect- For 4 turns, the cooldown of the next champion you own that dies is set to 0. CD: 4, AP: 2

Champion Upgrades

Initiative 1-
    When this champion is deployed, it gains 1 AP for each opposing champion in play, to a maximum of 7.

19. Xirone

This is my last version of the champ. I updated him so that he doesn't need a new ability to be coded. I know the devs want to reduce the number of new abilities so this version of the Sylvan Phoenix has no new abilities. His function revolves around flying in to battle, attacking, eventually having Perseverance trigger, and then to use Resurrect so that he can return to battle soon. In addition to his core abilities, he has Equalize to make him efficient (though, if one wanted to reduce the number of abilities he has, his fixed price could easily go down with the removal of Equalize), Flight because he is a bird, and Immunity: Fire because he is made of flame.

Edit: He could be given Sacrifice as a base ability so that he can use Resurrect and Sacrifice on his last turn in play to guarantee Resurrect is used on the Phoenix. That would be an additional ability, though.