The Book of Al'Mara - An Inquisitor's guide to Paladins, Priests and Shamans

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Markoth, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Last Updated: 06/29/17 (First 5 Pages updated with multi-build ratings. All Paladins and Priests up to date with latest patch.)

To-Do List:
    Non-PPS runes
    Spells
    Relics

Introduction:
    So where to start? I suppose before I get to the part where I give you my opinion, I should give you some background on myself. Afterwards you can decide for yourself whether I am worth listening to or not. Being the intelligent being that you are, you have likely already figured out that I am Markoth. I have been playing the game since late 2006. In pox years this means that if you designed a rune after me it would likely have race: undead. This fills me with great bitterness because the vast majority of my last decade has been spent playing a theme that by its very nature hates the undead. Jokes aside I have been around since before Paladins were an actual theme and were just a class that 1-2 dwarves had for flavor.

Somewhere along the way I became fairly well known as a decent player. Apparently IS had been going through something of a slump and I was the only one dumb enough to try to play it competitively. In reality there were others but I was the only one with a big mouth. When asked why I played IS when clearly everything else was better I would just tell them that IS was OP. Apparently people thought I was joking since it made them laugh and it kind of became a meme.

During the Dire Covenant expansion cycle I started moving away from Dwarves and Barbarians and started playing a LE Paladin deck (Euan, Inquisitors, Angels, Minister) because it was an expensive deck and I liked to show off. I called the deck "The Inquisition of IS is OP" kinda as a joke but really because I wanted to see the Inquisition grow into a full fledged theme. I suggested the Inquisition ability and it made it onto Northern Cross Templar a few expansions later. It was a tad different back then (It only made things faithless) but I thought it was cool.

I could keep going and give you the full run down but I doubt you care what I had for breakfast in 2010. Lets fast forward to today. IS is still OP as anyone in Lobby Chat will tell you. Some say it as a joke. Most aren't. That may very well be why you are reading this guide in the first place. You have finally accepted deep down in your heart that IS is OP and decided to join us. Congrats, you made the right choice. We have beer and beards and even the angels are at our beck and call.

Battlemaster.png

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    panthersfan95, Gnomes, poinl and 6 others like this.
  2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

General Notes:

Deck Building:

Learning to build a solid deck is the single most important skill a new player should acquire. Anyone can watch top ranked players play and copy their decks but unless you understand why they chose the runes they did you will never succeed on your own.

First things first. It is important to identify what your playstyle is. Some people play more aggressive than others and a deck that works for an aggressive player will not work as well for a defensive player. Unfortunately there is no personality test I can give you to determine what your playstyle is, so this is something that you will have to determine on your own. It takes a certain measure of introspection and a persons playstyle will evolve over time so it is entirely possible for you to "grow out of a deck". If you ever hit a stretch of games where your deck just doesn't seem to be working don't be afraid to go back to the drawing board.

The second thing you must consider is the meta at any given time. Again this is not something that can be easily quantified and requires careful observation of your opponents. The meta is not a static thing. It constantly shifts as players adjust their decks to counter the things they regularly encounter. For example if you encounter a large number of stealth units it would be wise to increase the number of your detection sources. If you later go many games without encountering stealth but begin encountering many equipment based decks you can decrease your detection sources and increase unequip options. The goal is to optimize your deck to give you the advantage in the greatest number of matchups. My general rule of thumb is if you do not use a rune over the span of 10 games to pull it out and add a rune that could have changed the result of some of those games.

The last thing to consider is the synergy between your runes. It will be easy to look over this guide and just include the runes that I give the highest scores. While this may bring you some measure of success it will limit the upward limits of that success. A rune that may generally be a better rune overall may not be the optimal choice for a given deck slot. A good example of this would be Pontiff of Al'Mara. Its a great ranged unit with a great deal of Paladin synergy. However if you are building a deck and realize that you have built a deck with a central core of Barbarians it may be better to use a unit like Veilwalker. Another example would be if you are looking for a rune that provides global healing. You can use either Priest of Valdac or Desperate Heal. Desperate Heal is the better global heal and the majority of the time be the better include. But if your deck is already congested with spells and you are short on champions Priest of Valdac may be the better choice.

Current Deck:
    upload_2017-6-28_10-40-58.png

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Paladins

Legend:
    ★ - Shoebox
    ★★ - Not very good
    ★★★ - Runnable
    ★★★★ - 1x Auto-include
    ★★★★★ - 2x Auto-include

- Common
    - Uncommon
    - Rare
    - Exotic
    - Legendary
    - Limited Edition

* - Recommended Upgrade

[​IMG]

Amethyst Wing -
    Meta Deck Rating: ★★★
    Dwarf Deck Rating: ★★★
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ★
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 74 | Dam: 11 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 1 | HP: 50

Abilities
    • Attack: Electricity
    • Ametyst Sigil
    • Chain Lightning
    • Flight
    First Ability Line
    • Static Greeting (-3 Nora)
    • Adaptation (Default)*
    • Sunder [Rank 2](+0 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Stat Bonus: Defense (1) (-2 Nora)*
    • Purified (Default)
    • Deflect: Electric (+7 Nora)

Usage Notes
    The Amethyst Wing has a surprising amount of utility and survivabilty. Amethyst Sigil gives you Vaporize every time you deploy a Sigil champion which can make him hard to kill. In Paladins this will only really come into play if you run Ivory Wing or a second Amethyst Wing.

Upgrades
    Static Greeting can be a strong upgrade choice if your deck needs extra help with handling stealthed opponents. Adaptation is great for detecting your opponents abilities like Block, Dodge, etc. Sunder can be useful and stacks with stuff like Mark of Al'Mara making even the tankiest units not quite as intimidating. For the second ability line you will most commonly find people taking the single point in defense for pure efficiency. Deflect can be powerful when properly used (Pro Tip: You can target the champion you want to Deflect damage from with the ability).

Common Builds
    69 Nora - Static Greeting / Stat Bonus: Defense (1) - Cheap build, good for proccing Sigils.
    72 Nora - Adaptation / Stat Bonus: Defense (1) - General purpose build.
    79 Nora - Static Greeting / Deflect - Tankier build.

Synergies
    Sigil Champions

[​IMG]

Angel of Mercy -
    Meta Rating: ★★★
    Dwarf Deck Rating: ★★
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ★★
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 77 | Dam: 7 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 4-6 | Def: 1 | HP: 44

Abilities
    • Attack: Magical
    • Flight
    • Mark of Al'Mara
    • Merciful
    First Ability Line
    • Divert (Default)
    • Heal Mass 3 (-2 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Empathy (-5 Nora)
    • Cleansing Aura (Default)*

Notes
    Angel of Mercy fills an interesting niche for Paladins that usually gets pushed out because of limited deck space. Nevertheless she is still a very viable rune. Merciful can be annoying at times but can be bypassed by including a Holy Blade of Valdac to acquire Burn. I would also recommend getting in the habit of attacking with her at the beginning of your turn so that you don't find yourself stuck with her as your only champion capable of landing a killing blow.

Upgrades
    Divert is a great ability but has a very long CD and unless you are particularly sneaky, pretty easy for your opponent to guess who was targeted. Personally, I take Heal Mass 3 but either upgrade is a good choice. In U2, Cleansing Aura is great, especially if you are running her as a pure support champ. Paladins have several methods of cleansing but none of that matters if your units with Consecration are stunned. Cleansing Aura also helps with units that you may run that are not effected by Holy Ground such as Dwarven King or Sergeant.

Common Builds
    70 Nora - Heal Mass (3) / Empathy - Cheap heal support.
    75 Nora - Heal Mass (3) / Cleansing Aura - Use if need additional cleanse options.
    77 Nora - Divert / Cleansing Aura - Aggressive. Use to put divert on a champ about to contest a mid font the same turn she is deployed.

Synergies
    Holy Blade of Valdac

[​IMG]

Angel of Protection -
    Barbarian Deck Rating ★★
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 91 | Dam: 9 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 2-4 | Def: 2 | HP: 44

Abilities
    • Flight
    • Intensify
    • Righteous Shield
    First Ability Line
    • Enduring Aura [Rank 3] (-3 Nora)
    • Regeneration [Rank: 3] (+1 Nora)
    • Trail: Hallowed Ground (Default)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Stab (-6 Nora)
    • Hunter: Walker (-4 Nora)*
    • Divert (Default)

Notes
    Sporting decent defense, Righteous Shield and self healing she is decently hard to kill which buys time for her to Intensify. Once that happens she is a solid range unit. Back in her day she was in the running for strongest range unit in the game but a series of direct and indirect nerfs left her a shadow of her former self.

Upgrades
    Currently the best upgrades are Trail: Hallowed Ground and Hunter: Walker without much contest.

Common Builds
    87 Nora - Trail: Hallowed Ground / Hunter: Walker

Synergies
    Bastion [Aid Defense]

[​IMG]

Archangel of Al’Mara -
    Meta Rating: ★★★★
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ★★★
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 75 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1-2 | Def: 2 | HP: 50

Abilities
    • Flight
    • Ironfist Exploit
    First Ability Line
    • Hunter: Walker (Default)*
    • Scale Armor (+4 Nora)
    • Deflect (+4 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Regeneration 2 (Default)
    • Purified (+0 Nora)
    • Mark of Al'Mara (-1 Nora)*

Notes
    Once upon a time Archangel was a staple to be included in every Paladin deck. During the first DOG rework however she lost some of her power. In an attempt to get her back a thoughtful council member suggested some changes. However, things did not go as planned and she turned out worse than before. But those times are past and Archangel has taken to the skies yet again.

Upgrades
    U1 is a toss up between Scale Armor and Aerial Supremacy. Scale Armor is stronger defensively and doesn't have the weakness of being useless against Flying champions. Supremacy has the added benefit of extra damage and is a whole 4 Nora cheaper. U2 has a good collection of abilities but Mark of Al'Mara is easily the best choice. This lets her proc Ironfist Exploit herself and increase the damage output of all of your Paladins.

Common Builds
    74 Nora - Hunter: Walker / Mark of Al'Mara - Self-synergy build.
    79 Nora - Scale Armor or Deflect / Mark of Al'Mara - Slightly tankier but more expensive.

Synergies
    Bastion [Aid Defense]

[​IMG]

Attendant Squire -
    Dwarf Deck Rating: ★★★½
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 58 | Dam: 9 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 44

Abilities
    • Attack: Physical
    • Attendant
    • Careless
    First Ability Line
    • Invigorate 1 (-7 Nora)
    • Invigorate 2 (Default)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Enhance Armor (Default)
    • Royal Blood (+2 Nora)*

Notes
    Squire is one of the linchpin supports in a Dwarf centered Paladin deck. He is cheap, has Invigorate and an awesome support ability in Attendant (Which can target himself) . Once you get Euan out he can get Defender 2 and +2 defense which makes him decently tanky. Attendant is likely one of the best support abilities in the game. It has utility all over the place. +3 damage is always nice and on ranged champions it can let you poke even harder. It is also nice on Ranged champions because it can let them attack units with Arrow Eater, Elusive, etc. by using Charge 3 (which gives another +3 damage). Using Attendant on your melee champions for Charge lets them conserve AP and hit hard from far away.

Upgrades
    Repeat after me. There are no other upgrades other than Invigorate 2 and Royal Blood. Enhance Armor is useless because he only has 2 Defense but can be taken if you somehow managed to 'acquire squire' (heh) before Euan and/or Talgar.

Common Builds
    60 Nora - Invigorate (2) / Royal Blood - Support

Synergies
    Talgar Ironfist
    Euan Ironfist

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Return to Index

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Bastion the Avenger -
    Meta Rating: ★★★★½
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ★★★★★
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    'Old Man' Bastion is a PS4 Exclusive.
    Stats
    Cost: 96 | Dam: 11 | Spd: 7 | Rng: 1-2 | Def: 2 | HP: 55

Abilities
    • Escalating Rage
    • Flight
    • Hero
    • Subsume
    First Ability Line
    • Cleave (-1 Nora)*
    • Aid Defense (Default)*
    • Battle Leader (+3 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Warchief: Storm Clan (-4 Nora)*
    • Warchief: Blood Clan (-4 Nora)
    • Warchief: Stone Clan (Default)*

Notes
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their womenfolk.
    Bastion is a one man wrecking ball. He can fly into the midst of battle and lay waste to your opponents. But along with his his great power comes a giant target on his back. Make sure to keep him protected because if you are careless your opponent will kill him as soon as they can.

Upgrades
    U1 is entirely up to you. Cleave can allow you to deal some massive Damage and is really good with his new 1-2 Range. Aid Defense boosts his own defense as well as the rest of your Barbarians and Angels. Battle Leader is good but is also his most expensive upgrade and if you run Medal of Valor, redundant. U2 is up to you. I personally run Storm Clan. You can get Blood Clan from Warchief Inauguration if you run it. Stone Clan is great but Warding keeps you from using aggressive spells on him like Impervious or Might of Ironfist.

Common Builds
    92 Nora - Aid Defense / Warchief: Storm Clan - Super Aggro Build
    95 Nora - Cleave / Warchied: Stone Clan - Standard Hybrid
    96 Nora - Aid Defense / Warchief: Stone Clan - Defensive Monster

Synergies

Angels and Barbarians [Aid Defense]

[​IMG]

Brubaker Brothers -

Meta Rating: ★★★½
    [​IMG] [Anyone have the sprite work for the brother?]
    Stats
    Cost: 67 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 52

Abilities
    • Brubaker Bond
    • Brubaker Resistance

First Ability Line

• Carouse (-3 Nora)*
    • Block 2 (+1 Nora)
    • Sibling (Default)
    Second Ability Line
    • Unstoppable (Default)
    • Power Attack [Rank: 3] (+3 Nora)
    • Hold the Line (+5 Nora)*

Notes
    "They will never get caught. They're on a mission from God."
    The Brews Bros are actually solid units and fairly efficient. Due to their signiture abilities Brubaker Bond and Brubaker Resisnance you only ever want to run them in a pair.

Upgrades

As long as you don't take Power Attack you are good. On U1 Sibling provides a great stat boost while both are out but Carouse is much cheaper and Brew gives nice boosts of its own and can now target enemies to block equips (Be careful not to use against opposing Dwarves or Brutes or they will get a buff). On U2 I prefer Hold the Line. Between Assault and Defensive Strike you can put enemies in a no-win situation. Unstoppable is an acceptable substitute if you want to go with the cheapest build possible.

Common Builds
    67 Nora - Sibling / Unstoppable - Cheap Sibling champ.
    69 Nora - Carouse / Hold the Line - Buffs and under 70 Nora
    70 Nora - Sibling / Power Attack (3) - Damages

Synergies
    Brubaker Brothers

[​IMG]

Carrier Squire -
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ★★★★½
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 53 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 1 | HP: 40

Abilities
    • Holy Armaments
    • Throw Shield
    • Weighty
    First Ability Line
    • Craft (-7 Nora)
    • Grant: Action Potion (Default)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Detection [Rank: 3] (Default)
    • Shatter (+3 Nora)*

Notes
    One of the best support champions in the game. In the context of Paladins it is often a contest between Carrier Squire and Attendant Squire. You will usually see Carrier Squire included in Barbarian and Meta builds and Attendant Squire included in Dwarf Builds.

Upgrades

Grant: Action Potion is the whole reason to play this guy. Shatter is likely the best option because Paladins lack any other effective anti-equip options. Detection is great too but access to Unobstructed View or Guard Tower make it unnecessary.

Synergies
    Equips

[​IMG]

Charger Knight -
    Barbarian Rating: ★★★½
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 81 | Dam: 11 | Spd: 7 | Rng: 1-2 | Def: 2 | HP: 50

Abilities
    • Charge 3
    • Quest: Kill Enemy
    First Ability Line
    • Block 1 (Default)*
    • Block 2 (+3 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Crazed Charger (-3 Nora)
    • Heavy Charger (Default)*
    • Break the Line (+1 Nora)

Notes
    Charger Knight used to be one of the hardest hitting champs available to IS. He had Blitz and combined with Heavy Charger and Charge 3 he could easily charge for 30-40 damage. People complained and Blitz was removed. Combined with Carrier Squire and Golden Compass he can be quite a terror. Equipping Compass will give him extra AP and damage from Holy Armaments and then he can charge across the map gaining damage for every space he moves (Note: The movement needs to be 'towards' the opposing shrine which is pretty easy) and then charge with Heavy Charger for massive damage. Once his Quest is completed the stat buff he recieves makes him a decent champion on his own.

Upgrades
    Block 1 is likely the better choice due to his cost. U2 is up to you. I would highly recommend trying Break the Line but it takes some getting used to. Heavy Charger is more consistent and is what you will see most people take.

Common Builds
    81 Nora - Block 1 / Heavy Charger - Default heavy hitter.

Synergies
    Golden Compass

[​IMG]

Council Elder -
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ★½
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 71 | Dam: 12 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 1 | HP: 49

Abilities
    • Death Sentence
    • Expidite
    • Magical Attack
    First Ability Line
    • Shielded (-1 Nora)
    • Spellswallower (Default)*
    • Council: Spells (+6 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Hunter: Fighter (Default)
    • Hunter: Quick (-2 Nora)*
    • Hunter: Hero (-3 Nora)

Notes
    There was a small period of time in which Council Elder was a 2x auto-include in Paladins. He originally had Judgement instead of Death Sentence. Judgement was an AoE 3 cleanse that effected all units and the effected units lost 10 HP per removed condition. You could stack conditions and nuke people. Judgement was removed from the game (Except on Judge Torien) and Elder got Death Sentence instead which is a mere shadow of Judgement. Its melee, single target and the champions only lose 5 HP per condition. Today he is still a nifty little unit but one that usually gets left on the bench in favor of other options.

Upgrades
    On U1 I would recommend Spellswallower to use him as spell detection. Council: Spells can work for this but is more expensive. U2 is up to you. Quick is likely the best choice and brings his cost under 70.

Common Builds
    69 Nora - Spellswallower / Hunter: Quick - Cheap Build

Synergies

[​IMG]

Crusader -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 75 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 50

Abilities
    • Thirst for Battle
    First Ability Line
    • Execute (-6 Nora)
    • Throw Axe (-5 Nora)*
    • Battle Leader (Default)
    Second Ability Line
    • Heal Self 3 (-2 Nora)
    • Conqueror (-2 Nora)
    • Trail: Hallowed Ground (Default)*

Notes
    Crusaders are rather weak early on but are excellent runes because of IS's strengths. The longer it is alive and in combat, the stronger it becomes because of Thirst for Battle. As we all know, IS is second to none when it comes to keeping things alive.

Upgrades

Throw Axe is the best option in U1 for giving him a ranged attack and a debuff. Execute is also an excellent choice but in my experience you will get more use out of Throw. Personally I prefer Trail for the cleanse but Heal Self 3 is great.

Synergies

Return to Index

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Vote Kanye 2020 likes this.
  6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Elemental Warstaff -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 59 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 1 | HP: 48

Abilities
    • Fire Attack
    • Frost Attack
    • Magical Attack
    First Ability Line
    • Spell Resistance (+0 Nora)*
    • Gift of Scrying (+0 Nora)
    • Shielded (Default)
    Second Ability Line
    • Immunity: Frost (-3 Nora)
    • Immunity: Fire (-3 Nora)*
    • Immunity: Magic (Default)*

Notes
    A classic rune. Elemental Warstaff has the distinct advantage of being able to attack with 4 different elements (Physical, Frost, Fire, Magic).

Upgrades
    Upgrades are up to you though I would not suggest taking Gift of Scrying. Fire and Magic are going to be the best Immunity choices and I would swap them back and forth depending on how popular UD or KF is at any given time. Choosing Fire does let him come in at 57 which is pretty cheap. I personally prefer Spell Resistance because it takes place before the IS bonus meaning it makes you immune to most spells anyway. Some will still prefer Shielded to protect themselves from Drown or other non-damaging spells.

Synergies

[​IMG]

Euan Ironfist - ••
    Dwarf Deck Rating: ★★★★
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ★★½
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 84 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 7 | Rng: 1 | Def: 3 | HP: 58

Abilities
    • Euan's Hammer
    • Hero
    First Ability Line
    • Surge: Enemy (Default)*
    • Battle Leader (-2 Nora)
    • Battlemaster 3 (+1 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Consecration (Default)
    • Trail: Hallowed Ground (+1 Nora)*
    • Block 1 (+0 Nora)

Notes
    Euan has been all over the spectrum of Offense, Defense and Support. These days he is a tanky brawler with some ranged utility. 3 base Defense and Trail: Hallowed Ground make him hard to kill and Surge: Enemy can make him hit very hard.

Upgrades
    I would suggest either Surge: Enemy or Battlemaster depending on how you wish to utilize Euan. Surge is more offensive minded but Battlemaster is stronger when you bring in other champs. U2 is best with Trail: Hallowed Ground.

Synergies
    Attendant Squire

[​IMG]

Inquisitor Magnus -
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 75 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 7 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 46

Abilities
    • Consecration
    • Inquisition
    First Ability Line
    • Spellswallower (-2 Nora)
    • Adaptive (Default)*
    • Hunter: Quick (-3 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Imposing Aura (+0 Nora)
    • Punish (Default)*
    • Ignorance (+1 Nora)

Notes
    The brother of Grand Inquisitor Isran, he led an expedition to Maljara on behalf of the Ironfist Stonghold. He was captured and corrupted by Sarinda and it was only because his sister's efforts that he was brought home and restored to his former self. Doing so however cost her her title as leader of the Inquisition.

Upgrades

U1 is a competition between Spellswallower and Adaptive. Most people prefer Adaptive because it lets you control when he gains stats instead of your opponent. If you like to minimize your usage of spells I would recommend Spellswallower instead. U2 is host to a good collection of abilities. It is entirely up to you which one to choose though I usually go with Punish.

Synergies
    Might of Ironfist [Adaptive]

[​IMG]

Ironfist Inquisitor / Inquisitor Isran -
    Dwarf Deck Raring: ★★½
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ★★★★
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 69 | Dam: 11 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 50

Abilities
    • Iron Will
    • Righteous Shield
    First Ability Line
    • Rend 1 (Default)
    • Strike (+0 Nora)*
    • Render (+3 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Commander (+1 Nora)*
    • Inquisition (Default)
    • Immunity: Psychic (-3 Nora)

Notes
    The original Inquisition rune and later a reskin was released to represent the first Grand Inquisitor of Ironfist.

Upgrades
    U1 offers good choices. Rend is the best choice unless you run Warchief Inauguration or some other source of Blood Clan. If you do take Strike instead. U2 is a difficult a choice. Commander is likely the one to take unless you also run Paladin Commander. If you do take either Inquisition or Immunity. A year ago I would not take Immunity at all but Psychic is much more prevalent now.

Synergies

[​IMG]

Ironfist Minister / Red Minister -
    Dwarf Deck Rating: ★★★★★
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ★★★½
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 76 | Dam: 9 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1-3 | Def: 1 | HP: 48

Abilities
    • Battle Drum
    • Execute
    First Ability Line
    • Annex (-3 Nora)*
    • Resistance: Magical [Rank: 3] (Default)*
    • Amplify Healing (+10 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Spellswallower (-4 Nora)*
    • Favor (Default)
    • Council: Spells (+2 Nora)

Notes
    One of the best runes in Ironfist but it is pretty rare to ever see more than 1 in a deck. His purpose is clear. Minister is the rune you deploy when you feel like you might need a power turn in the future.

Upgrades
    U1 has only one rule. Don't take Amplify: Healing. Its crazy expensive and it boosts your opponents healing too. Annex is pretty useless as an ability but you can take it to pair with Spellswallower and bring his cost to 69 which is pretty cheap. Resistance: Magical is his best upgrade in effectiveness. It all just depends on what you plan on using him for. U2 is where you have to think. The competition is usually between Spellswallower and Favor. Favor does reduce the cost of your spells by 5 but you are paying 8 Nora for the ability so you don't profit till after the second spell is cast. It also reveals if you cast any hidden spells like Righteous Deflection. Spellswallower on the other hand is cheaper and reveals when your opponent casts spells which can be useful for not embarrassing yourself by attacking twice while under the effects of Split Personality.

Synergies

Return to Index

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Ironfist Paladin -
    Meta Rating: ★★
    Dwarf Deck Rating: ★★½
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ★
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 68 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 5 | Rng: 1 | Def: 3 | HP: 51

Abilities
    • Lay Hands [Rank: 1]
    First Ability Line
    • Heal Champion 2 (+1 Nora)
    • Cleanse (Default)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Aid Defense (+0 Nora)
    • Righteous Shield (Default)*
    • Noble Sacrifice (-3 Nora)

Notes
    In the April 7th patch he received -3 Nora while retaining his stats. Cost reductions are always nice but the change does not resolve his core issues. In his current form Paladin is incredibly tanky and has a decent set of upgrades. He can take a punishing and then heal himself or someone else back to full HP. However he only has 5 speed and all of his abilities have long CDs and High AP costs. Low speed and melee range also makes his Aid Defense upgrade rather useless. I would like to see him get +1 speed and -5 HP which should let him come in at 70 Nora. While he wont likely see play in meta Paladins he may find a home with Dwarf decks.

Upgrades
    Cleanse and Righteous Shield are your best bets to keep his cost low. If his speed ever gets pushed to 6, Aid Defense could be a good option in a Dwarf variety of Paladin deck.

Synergies
    Dwarves

[​IMG]

Ironfist Warsaint -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 71 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 60

Abilities
    • Purified
    • Empathy
    First Ability Line
    • Heal Self 1 (-2 Nora)
    • Heal Self 2 (Default)
    • Heal Self 3 (+3 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Shrine Defender (Default)
    • Loyalty (+0 Nora)*
    • Defensive Stance (-4 Nora)

Notes
    Since forever the Warsaint has stood in the shadows of other runes. More recently he has emerged as a stat monster. With a massive 60 base HP with a respectable 2 defense, Heal Self and Loyalty the dude becomes incredibly difficult to kill. Once you add any combination of Banner, Brew or Sermon his HP pool gets out of control.

Upgrades
    Heal Self 3 and Loyalty. No other options.

Synergies
    Anything that boosts HP.

[​IMG]

Northern Cross Avenger -
    Dwarf Deck Rating: ★½
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 67 | Dam: 12 | Spd: 7 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 49

Abilities
    • Hunter: Meek
    • Stasis
    First Ability Line
    • Execute (Default)
    • Opportunistic Assault (+4 Nora)
    • Cull (+1 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Zeal: Speed (Default)
    • Spur (+3 Nora)*
    • Multiattack [Rank 3] (+8 Nora)

Notes
    Avenger is a champion with incredible damage potential. A recent patch changed Hunter: Summoned to Hunter: Meek which makes her very strong in the current meta of cheap champ spam. Stasis isn't as bad as it looks at first. You only lose out on one round of movement but you still gain AP so you really only lose about 3 AP and the ability to attack the round after deploying her.

Upgrades
    Execute or Cull are your go to U1 upgrades. Execute is cheaper but Cull can allow you to combo with Hammer Strike or Earthquake for a surprise burst of damage. Spur is my recommended U2. If she is in combat she will be a 13 damage 8 speed (Sometimes more) champion. Zeal is decent and cheaper but takes some time to ramp up. Multiattack is obviously the best ability on the tree but a +8 Nora cost scares most people away.

Synergies
    Hammer Strike
    Earthquake
    Punish

[​IMG]

Northern Cross Cardinal -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 73 | Dam: 9 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 5-6 | Def: 0 | HP: 42

Abilities
    • Mark of Al'Mara
    First Ability Line
    • Sermon (-2 Nora)*
    • Declare Target (Default)
    Second Ability Line
    • Heal Mass 2 (Default)
    • Consecration (+0 Nora)*
    • Heal Mass 3 (+4 Nora)

Notes
    A cornerstone of Dwarf Paladin decks. He brings a lot of support and healing to the table with respectable ranged damage.

Upgrades
    Sermon is the only worthwhile upgrade on U1 unless you insist on running him in a deck that is primarily Barbarians. In that case take Declare Target. U2 is personal choice. Heal Mass has a lower CD and AP cost, but Consecration heals more over time and cleanses as well.

Synergies
    Dwarves [Sermon]

[​IMG]

Northern Cross Fanatic -
    Meta Rating: ★★½
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 53 | Dam: 12 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 1 | HP: 48

Abilities
    • Impatient
    First Ability Line
    • Pounce (Default)*
    • Glorious Leap (+1 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Cleave (Default)
    • Pummel [Rank: 1] (+2 Nora)*

Notes
    A decent, cheap champ her only real issue is Impatient. In combat it will generate a lot of AP but the current map rotation has a lot of large maps and she would likely lose 20+ HP before ever seeing action. She also recently gained the Brute class allowing her to benefit from Brews.

Upgrades
    Pounce or Glorious Leap are a preference choice. If your opponent pushes close to your font or shrine you can deploy her and generate AP with Impatient for surprise damage or Awestruck. I would recommend Pummel on U2 but again they are both decent upgrades.

Synergies

[​IMG]

Northern Cross Militia -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 62 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 1 | HP: 56

Abilities
    • Enduring Aura 3
    First Ability Line
    • Enlightened (Default)
    • Restraining Aura (+0 Nora)
    • Carouse (-1 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Bodyguard (+4 Nora)*
    • Antagonize (Default)
    • Opportunistic Assault (+4 Nora)

Notes
    Militia is a nice cheap bodyguard unit. He is also great as a Carouse champ if you are running a Paladin deck with a large Dwarf population.

Upgrades
    Restraining Aura or Carouse are your best U1 choices. Take Carouse if you have a lot of Dwarves or Restraining Aura if you are not. Bodyguard is why you would run him so don't look too hard at U2.

Synergies

Return to Index

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Northern Cross Priestess / Aria the Priestess -
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 73 | Dam: 7 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 4-5 | Def: 0 | HP: 42

Abilities
    • Call: Celestial Spear
    • Ruin
    First Ability Line
    • Cleansing Flame (+2 Nora)*
    • Mark of Al'Mara (Default)
    • Relocate Relic (+0 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Grant: Magical Aura (-2 Nora)*
    • Cleanse (-3 Nora)
    • Heal Champion 3 (Default)*

Notes
    Priestess is a mobile tool kit. She brings alt damage (Magic, Electricity, Fire), Dispel, AoE damage, Relic Destruction and Healing depending on how you build her.

Upgrades

Mark of Al'Mara is good but Cleansing Flame is a necessity. Dispel is basically a get out of jail free card in a ton of situations. Its also worth noting that it is not on the attack chain so you can usually attack after using it. U2 is basically a competition between Heal and Aura. I personally take Aura as a counter to Perseverance (and its cheaper) but if you feel like you need more healing in your deck feel free to take it.

Synergies

[​IMG]

Northern Cross Templar -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 73 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 52

Abilities
    • Duel
    • Inquisition
    First Ability Line
    • Pummel 1 (Default)*
    • Pummel 2 (+3 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Relic Guardian (Default)
    • Sunder [Rank: 2] (+0 Nora)*
    • Book Burn (-3 Nora)

Notes
    Northern Cross Templar was the very first rune with the Inquisition ability. Back in the day he had 3 base defense and could take Stat Boost: Defense 3 for a total of 6 base defense but that didn't last too long. All things considered he isn't a bad rune but other runes fill his roll better.

Upgrades
    Its likely not worth taking the second rank of Pummel. On U2 I would take Sunder 2 to go along with Pummel. You can give a guy -4 Defense. Along with Branded from Inquisition the rest of your runes will be dealing +6 damage per attack.

Synergies

[​IMG]

Paladin Commander -
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 78 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 55

Abilities
    • Commander
    • Hold the Line
    • Iron Will
    First Ability Line
    • Impassioned (-1 Nora)
    • Rallying Cries 1 (Default)
    • Heal Self 2 (-1 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Command: Charge (+0 Nora)
    • Command: Block (Default)
    • Command: Heal (+0 Nora)
    • Command: Dodge (+2 Nora)*

Notes
    One of the central pieces of a Dwarf Paladin deck. He provides a lot of defensive utility.

Upgrades

Take your choice on U1. Rallying Cries can make him an amazing ranged champ support granting them damage, AP and protection. Heal Self is the favorite choice for a lot of people because it isn't reliant on anything else. Iron Will means he cant be distracted and will always be able to heal himself unless he is Inhibited. Impassioned used to be very good but after Scry was removed from shrines it is much harder to trigger. I suggest taking Command: Dodge on U2 just because ranged is so prevalent but both Charge and Block are good choices too.

Synergies
    Yes

[​IMG]

Talgar Ironfist -
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bronze Talgar is a Playstation Exclusive.
    Stats
    Cost: 93 | Dam: 13 | Spd: 7 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 53

Abilities
    • Hero
    • Multiattack 1
    • Regeneration 3
    First Ability Line
    • Purified (-5 Nora)
    • Tough 2 (Default)*
    • Initiative 2 (-2 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Hammer Throw 1 (-2 Nora)*
    • Hammer Throw 2 (Default)
    • Hammer Throw 3 (+2 Nora)

Notes
    Talgar is designed to run into a group of enemies. Eat their faces and possibly come out the other side.

Upgrades
    There are a number of ways you can build Talgar and they all depend on what you want to get out of him. The best build is likely going to be Tough and Hammer Throw 1. Its cheap (91 N0ra), makes him really hard to kill and the extra ranks of Hammer Throw are largely unnecessary. I personally run him with Initiative and Hammer Throw 3. This puts an AoE 9 around your fonts and shrine so that if an opposing champ gets close you can get a surprise 20 damage attack. If you are using him with the Tough build I would highly recommend taking a long look at Hammerheart Platemail. He becomes an absolute monster.

Synergies
    Hammerheart Platemail
    Attendant Squire

[​IMG]

Truthseeker -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 77 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 1 | HP: 51
    Abilities
    • Quest: Crusade
    • Truthseeker
    First Ability Line
    • Sapping Armor (+3 Nora)*
    • Slowing Armor (Default)
    • Defensive Stance [Rank: 3] (-2 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Zeal: Speed (-1 Nora)
    • Ironfist Exploit (Default)*
    • Surge: Enemy (+3 Nora)

Notes
    One of the coolest runes that we have gotten in recent times. Soul Reaver and Hahndor Memorial are both great runes to quickly Brand enemy units allowing him to close the gap with Truthseeker pretty much at will.

Upgrades
    Sapping Armor no longer reduces champions to 0 AP every time but it does make it very hard to double tap. Slowing Armor is not particularly good. Defensive Stance lets him be run for 75 Nora and can be pretty tanky. On U2 I would recommend Exploit but if you are running Defensive Stance, Surge can be run for 78 which can make him pretty strong.

Synergies
    Soul Reaver and Hahndor Memorial

[​IMG]

Vengeant Templar -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 72 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 2 | HP: 47

Abilities
    • Attack Charged 1
    • Charged Heal
    • Violent
    First Ability Line
    • Block 1 (Default)*
    • Block 2 (+3 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Resistance: Physical 1 (-4 Nora)
    • Resistance: Physical 2 (-2 Nora)*
    • Resistance: Physical 3 (Default)

Notes
    One of my favorite units that I never use. He has a neat synergistic kit and with Violent he can turn into quite a nasty scrapper. He just feels a few points too expensive. But if you are looking for a physical tank then look no further.

Upgrades

Block 1 and your choice of Resistance rank. Personally I take rank 3 but if you want to run him cheaper its not a bad choice.

Synergies

Return to Index
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=​

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Space saved for expansion.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Priests

Legend:

★ - Shoebox
    ★★ - Not very good
    ★★★ - Runnable
    ★★★★ - 1x Auto-include
    ★★★★★ - 2x Auto-include

- Common
    - Uncommon
    - Rare
    - Exotic
    - Legendary
    - Limited Edition

* - Recommended Upgrade
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwarven Medic -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 44 | Dam: 7 | Spd: 5 | Rng: 1 | Def: 0 | HP: 43

Abilities
    • Immunity: Disease
    • Immunize
    First Ability Line
    • Heal Champion [Rank: 1] (-2 Nora)
    • Heal Champion [Rank: 2] (Default)*
    • Heal Champion [Rank: 3] (+2 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Grant: Healing Potion (+1 Nora)
    • Cleanse (Default)*
    Notes
    The medic has always humored me because when he was first released his flavor text was something along the lines of a "Stay with me, damn it! I'm a doctor not a priest!" Somewhere along the way he took up the frock and has since become one of the best dedicated healers in IS.

Upgrades
    Take either Heal Champion 2 or Heal Champion 3 on U1. Rank 3 is a bigger heal but rank 2 has a lower CD. On U2 it is up to you. Healing Potion has a lower CD and bigger heal but also has a lower range. Another problem is that if the target is distracted it cant use the potion.

Synergies

[​IMG]

Ethereal Priestess -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 69 | Dam: 7 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 4-5 | Def: 0 | HP: 42

Abilities
    • Soften
    First Ability Line
    • Phase Shift (-2 Nora)*
    • Force Barrier [Rank: 2] (Default)
    • Charm [Rank: 3] (-2 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Stall (+0 Nora)*
    • Suppression (-3 Nora)
    • Haste (+4 Nora)
    Notes
    A very good support rune that usually gets pushed out of decks due to lack of room. She has a great set of abilities. Recently I have been using her extensively in my dwarf decks. Her cheap cost and ability sets coupled with ranged magic damage make her a great early to mid game deploy.

Upgrades
    Your choice of U1 though I would recommend Phase Shift for defensive purposes. It also has the "secret" benefit of giving flying so it can be used to capture side fonts if you catch your opponent off guard. U2 is a tossup between Stall or Haste. I personally prefer Stall. It keeps her under 70 Nora and if you use on champions with low AP it can act almost like a stun.

Synergies

[​IMG]

Exorcist -
    Meta Rating: ★
    Dwarf Deck Rating: ★½
    Barbarian Deck Rating: ½
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 67 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 2-4 | Def: 0 | HP: 48

Abilities
    • Cleanse
    • Exorcism
    First Ability Line
    • Hunter: Mage (+0 Nora)
    • Hunter: Meek (+1 Nora)
    • Hunter: Cleric (Default)
    Second Ability Line
    • Heal Self [Rank: 1] (-2 Nora)
    • Heal Self [Rank: 2] (Default)
    • Heal Self [Rank: 3] (+2 Nora)
    Notes
    Do yourself a favor. Don't run him. He is almost 70 nora and has next to no synergy in his abilities. His original design was as a counter to global abilities. He had an ability that would channel all global damage to him and you could sit him in the back and use Heal Self to keep him up as long as possible. Global abilities got nerfed pretty hard and eventually the ability was removed from Exorcist because it was hit or miss whether it worked in the first place. Now he has bad damage, bad range, bad survivability and no purpose.

Upgrades
    I am going to do you a favor and help you by not helping you. Don't use him.

Synergies
    None. Go away.

[​IMG]

Ivory Wing -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 74 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 3-5 | Def: 0 | HP: 44

Abilities
    • Defenseless
    • Flight
    • Ivory Sigil
    First Ability Line
    • Heal Champion [Rank: 2] (Default)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Cleansing Aura (0 Nora)
    • Cleanse (-5 Nora)
    • Soften (Default)*
    Notes
    He used to suck but at some point when I wasnt looking he pulled up his britches and turned into a pretty decent ranged threat. Along with his support abilities he is rather solid. He kind of fills the same role as Ethereal Priestess, both have soften, both have the ability to fly (Ivory is always flying but Priestess' Vaporize can be used defensively) and pretty much the same stats. The difference is that Ivory Wing can heal and Priestess has Stall and is cheaper. Personally I give the edge to Ethereal Priestess but if you need extra healing in your deck than its better to take Ivory Wing.

Upgrades
    Soften is pretty much the reason to run this guy over other healing options. Cleansing Aura can be a solid choice as well but AoE cleanse is not exactly in short supply in IS. On U1 take whatever heal works for you.

Synergies
    Sigil Champs

[​IMG]

Northern Cross Purger -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 75 | Dam: 12 | Spd: 7 | Rng: 3-5 | Def: 0 | HP: 50

Abilities
    • Ammunition [Rank: 1]
    • Reload
    • Damage Shield: Fire [Rank: 2]
    First Ability Line
    • Mark of Al'Mara (Default)*
    • Ricochet Shot (+6 Nora)
    • Inquisition (+2 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Fire Acolyte (Default)*
    • Flame Charge (+1 Nora)
    • Purging Flames (+3 Nora)
    Notes
    So this guy is special to me because I designed the rune and am quoted in the flavor text. My original concept was to make a rune that fit in the Paladin theme without being a Paladin, Priest or Shaman but as it developed it made more sense for it to have Class: Priest. The unofficial lore for the Purgers is that Inquisition came to realize that sometimes terrible things must be done to accomplish what they perceive as good. The Purgers are trained to take on the most dangerous missions doing anything necessary to succeed even if it costs them their souls.

Upgrades
    U1 is a contest between Mark of Al'Mara and Inquisition. Mark is cheaper and more reliable but Inquisition also causes Faithless. U2 is entirely preference and all 3 options interact with the Branded condition in different ways. Acolyte is the cheapest option and can heal a lot. Flame Charge can double the damage output of Branded and Purging Flames causes all your Paladins, Priests and Shamans to turn into Pureblood Plainswalkers. Every attack against Branded enemies will Dispel them and while Purger is around can turn runes like Hahndor Memorial into an AoE dispel.

Synergies
    Branded

[​IMG]

Pontiff of Al'Mara -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 74 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 5-6 | Def: 0 | HP: 42

Abilities
    • Attack: Fire
    • Verdict of Al'Mara
    First Ability Line
    • Empowered: Speed (Default)
    • Soften (+6 Nora)
    • Illuminate (+0 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Inquisition (+2 Nora)
    • Suppression (+3 Nora)
    • Distract (Default)*
    Notes
    The most offensive minded priest you will ever meet. He spreads his message with fire and brimstone. He also has the amazing ability to stun things that are branded. It's worth noting that Verdict of Al'Mara deals magic damage which can be useful for exorcising spirits. :glares at Exorcist:

Upgrades
    There are some that swear by Soften on U1 but its a tad too expensive for my taste. Empowered is great and some people like to take it however Illuminate is my favored choice. On U2 I would recommend Distract because it is the cheapest option while also being amazing on a long ranged champion. Inquisition can be a great choice though. It lets him brand units on his own boosting his damage and letting him stun champs by himself.

Synergies
    Mark of Al'Mara

[​IMG]

Priest of Valdac -
    Dwarf Deck Rating: ★★½
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 66 | Dam: 7 | Spd: 5 | Rng: 2-4 | Def: 1 | HP: 44

Abilities
    • Heal Champion [Rank: 3]
    First Ability Line
    • Divine Favor [Rank: 1] (-4 Nora)
    • Divine Favor [Rank: 2] (Default)
    • Divine Favor [Rank: 3] (+4 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Scry [Rank: 1] (Default)*
    • Scry [Rank: 2] (+1 Nora)
    Notes
    For a long time Priest was the go to healing source in IS. He was run in every deck regardless of theme. Even Barbarians and Constructs. At some point this was decided to be a bad thing and his cost went up about 15 nora. He is still an alright champion but there are other healing sources that cost less.

Upgrades
    If you're running him its for healing so go ahead and take Divine Favor 3. His second upgrade line has always bugged me a bit because you will likely be deploying him late enough in the game that the extra rune reveals are useless. Go ahead and just take rank 1.

Synergies

Ankh of Valdac (But dont run it)

Return to Index

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Saved for Priest expansions

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Shamans

Legend:
    ★ - Shoebox
    ★★ - Not very good
    ★★★ - Runnable
    ★★★★ - 1x Auto-include
    ★★★★★ - 2x Auto-include

- Common
    - Uncommon
    - Rare
    - Exotic
    - Legendary
    - Limited Edition

* - Recommended Upgrade

Barbarian Bolt / Barbarian Skybreaker -
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 74 | Dam: 11 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1-3 | Def: 1 | HP: 45

Abilities
    • Warchief: Storm Clan
    First Ability Line
    • Lightning Storm [Rank: 1] (-2 Nora)
    • Lightning Storm [Rank: 2] (Default)
    • Lightning Storm [Rank: 3] (+2 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Wind Aura (+1 Nora)
    • Deflect Electricity (+9 Nora)
    • Rebuke 3 (Default)*
    Notes
    A decent alt damage option, he can also be a source of Warchief: Storm Clan if you prefer running Bastion with something else.

Upgrades

He is cheap enough and has high enough damage that it is likely worth taking Lightning Storm 3. U2 is up to you. Wind Aura can be good for grounding flying units so your Aerial Supremacy runes can get the damage boost. Be careful though it grounds your own units too so it takes careful use. I generally find Rebuke 3 to be the safer option and it can lead to some surprise damage occasionally.

Synergies

[​IMG]

Barbarian Diviner -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 72 | Dam: 9 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 5-6 | Def: 0 | HP: 46

Abilities
    • Attack: Magic
    • Enchant: Magic
    • Vulnerability: Magical
    First Ability Line
    • Cleanse (Default)*
    • Transfer Life (+1 Nora)
    • Heal Champion 3 (+4 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Illuminate (-4 Nora)*
    • Magic Blast (+2 Nora)
    • Stall (Default)
    Notes
    Once Diviner was one of the strongest ranged support champions in the game. With 6 range and Aid Defense she could combo with Bastion and Guardian to boost barbarians defense to insane levels. Aid Defense was removed and with it her "auto-include" status. Today she is still quite decent but requires a bit more thought before including her in a deck.

Upgrades
    U1 really depends on what you want to accomplish. If you are just looking for a 6 ranged magic damage champ then she is your gal and you should likely run her with Cleanse for the cheap price tag. 68 Nora is a magical number in Barbarian Paladins, it means you can 2 champ deploy as Player 2 if you also draw Conscripted Warrior, Carrier Squire or Ghoulhunter. IS however really isnt hurting in the cleanse department so you may want to choose a heal. Heal Champion 3 is clearly the better ability since for 1 more AP you dont have to harm yourself. It is however more expensive. Transfer Life lets you run her for 69 Nora if you run her with Illuminate which means you only lose out on Ghoulhunter as a second first turn deploy.
    U2 is a race between Stall and Illuminate. Personally I recommend Illuminate because on-hit effects are very good on long range champs. It also happens to be cheaper.

Synergies

[​IMG]
    Barbarian Druid -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 69 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1-2 | Def: 1 | HP: 45

Abilities
    • Cleanse
    • Dark Raven Form
    First Ability Line
    • Heal Champion [Rank: 2] (Default)
    Second Ability Line
    • Heal Mass [Rank: 1] (-2 Nora)
    • Heal Mass [Rank: 2] (Default)
    Notes
    Just about everything you could want in a support champ. Heals, Cleanse and Detection all tied up in a neat little package.

Upgrades
    Take her with defaults for 69 nora.

Synergies

[​IMG]
    Earth Elemental -
    [​IMG]

Stats
    Cost: 67 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 3 | HP: 56

Abilities
    • Attack: Boulder
    • Chasm Walker
    • Trail: Walk
    First Ability Line
    • Tunnel: Earth [Rank: 1] (-2 Nora)*
    • Tunnel: Earth [Rank: 2] (Default)
    • Tunnel: Earth [Rank: 3] (+3 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Domain: Rock (Default)
    • Rock Defiance (-1 Nora)*
    • Terraform: Rock (-3 Nora)
    Notes
    You wouldnt really expect this guy to be a Shaman but he is. One of the most efficient meat walls you can find for

Upgrades
    Take rank 1 for U1. U2 is between Domain and Rock Defiance. I personally like Rock Defiance for synergy with Stonearm Sash and Grintmaw.

Synergies
    Stonearm Sash

[​IMG]
    Emerald Wing -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 77 | Dam: 11 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 3-5 | Def: 0 | HP: 45

Abilities
    • Emerald Sigil
    • Flight
    First Ability Line
    • Jolt 1 (-4 Nora)*
    • Chain Lightning (Default)
    • Deflect: Electricity (+5 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Swap 3 (Default)*
    • Telekinetic Thrust (+4 Nora)
    • Teleport [Rank 1] (+2 Nora)
    Notes
    Badass Sprite. With 11 base damage and a DoT effect on top of Swap you would think that this guy would be run more. Emerald Sigil allows him to give Teleport to other champions if you run him with other Sigil champions.

Upgrades
    Jolt is pretty much the only worthwhile upgrade on U1. U2 depends on your preference. I like Swap but some people like Teleport.

Synergies
    Sigil Champs

[​IMG]

Favored Nomad / Fiora, Favored Nomad -
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 76 | Dam: 9 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 4-5 | Def: 0 | HP: 50

Abilities
    • Favor
    First Ability Line
    • Impenetrable (Default)*
    • Shielded (-1 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Expidite (-3 Nora)
    • Tempo (Default)*
    • Weaken Spells (+3 Nora)
    Notes
    Nomad is a decent rune but not particularly interesting. She is very nice if you plan on running a lot of spells and is a prime target for Warchief Inauguration. She can be a bit of a noob trap in the sense that her abilities encourage you to continually cast spells. This isn't always a bad thing but I have found that more you cast spells the more you feel inclined to continue to do so. Meaning that each time you cast a spell you have less resources to deploy a champion next turn. Next turn you cant deploy so you cast another spell to keep going. Eventually you stall out because you havn't been deploying champions. If you can manage this then it's not that bad.

Upgrades
    I would recommend taking Impenetrable unless you plan on stacking buffs on her. While Shielded is cheaper, Impenetrable will be useful in more situations. U2 is a fight between Tempo and Weaken Spells. Tempo almost always wins out because extra AP on ranged champs is really good. Weaken Spells stacks with the IS bonus however meaning that your champs become immune to stuff like Hammerstrike.

Synergies

Iajabmaka

[​IMG]

Fury of the Storms -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 81 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 3-5 | Def: 0 | HP: 46

Abilities
    • Immunity: Electricity
    • Storm Field
    First Ability Line
    • Slam (Default)*
    • Lightning Skewer (+5 Nora)
    • Lightning Blast (+6 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Paralytic Feedback (Default)
    • Warchief: Storm Clan (+0 Nora)
    • Grant: Electricity Aura (+0 Nora)*
    Notes
    A great rune but it has little synergy with the rest of the Holy theme other than its class.

Upgrades
    Most people run Slam/Warchief. Dont bother with Skewer or Blast or she gets really pricey.

Synergies

Return to Index

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Ghoulhunter -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 62 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 1 | HP: 51

Abilities
    • Illuminate
    First Ability Line
    • Rend [Rank: 1] (Default)*
    • Rend [Rank: 2] (+3 Nora)
    • Rend [Rank: 3] (+6 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Hunter: Underdepths (-3 Nora)
    • Hunter: Forsaken Wastes (-3 Nora)
    • Hunter: Unholy (Default)*
    Notes
    Efficiency wise Ghoulhunter is actually pretty decent. He sports a respectable 51 HP but he has no defensive abilities to speak of which as a melee champ can be devastating.

Upgrades
    I wouldn't recommend going higher than Rend 1 simply because efficiency is this guys game. That said I would highly recommend taking Hunter: Unholy over one of the faction specific ones simply because it doubles how often he will be usable.

Synergies

[​IMG]

Grintmaw Shaman -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 72 | Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 4-5 | Def: 1 | HP: 42

Abilities
    • Attack: Acid
    • Lethargic
    • Rock Defiance
    • Starshine
    First Ability Line
    • Heal Mass [Rank: 1] (Default)*
    • Heal Mass [Rank: 2] (+3 Nora)
    • Heal Mass [Rank: 3] (+7 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Heal Champion 2 (-2 Nora)
    • Cleanse (-3 Nora)*
    • Magic Eater (Default)
    Notes
    Grintmaw Shaman isn't that bad of a rune but he doesnt exactly fit as your standard Shaman rune. His rating is much higher in a Grintmaw deck. In the context of a Paladin deck he can be used as a support/alt damage rune. He is the only Attack: Acid rune in the entirety of IS.

Upgrades

I would only take Heal Mass 1 on U1. If you are looking for a healer rune look elsewhere for one that doesn't pay for all the extra baggage. On U2 I would take Cleanse to push his cost below 70 and use as a contingency if your Consecration champs are Stunned or Distracted. Alternatively you can take Heal Champ 2 to come in right at 70 or Magic Eater if you have particular issues with KF or other magic heavy factions.

Synergies
    Grintmaw

Synergies

[​IMG]
    Pureblood Plainswalker -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 83 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 4-5 | Def: 0 | HP: 48

Abilities
    • Reallocate: Speed
    • True Nature
    First Ability Line
    • Quest: Damage (+0 Nora)*
    • Blood Rage (-4 Nora)
    • Surge: Enemy (Default)
    Second Ability Line
    • Fire Eater (+0 Nora)
    • Flameburst (Default)
    • Flame Nova [Rank: 3] (-2 Nora)*

Notes
    Plainswalker is one of the best runes IS has gotten in recent times. Both for Barbarians and for Shamans and here is why. True Nature allows him to bypass just about anything which can maker her unstoppable. The dispel removes pesky things like Righteous Deflection, Divert, Impervious, etc. and Confuse means that she can attack past things like Evasive, Fire Eater, etc. assuming the opposing champion gained them via upgrades. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to be careful with what you deploy after him. Reallocate: Speed means that the next champion will get -1 Speed. This is uncleansable.

Upgrades

Quest: Damage is hands down the best upgrade in U1. While Surge will give you a bigger damage number, Quest will give you ranks of multi-attack which translates to more attacks and more damage. On U2 I usually take Flame Nova to keep her cheap. Flameburst is really good however so the choice is yours.

Synergies

[​IMG]

Terraformer -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 66 | Dam: 7 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 0 | HP: 52

Abilities
    • Rock Slide
    First Ability Line
    • Avalanche (Default)
    • Lava Storm (+2 Nora)*
    • Tidal Wave (-2 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Shatter (Default)
    • Terraform: Lava [Rank: 2]* (+2 Nora)
    Notes
    Terraformer was the best unit in IS for quite a while. He had Tremor on U2 and Terraform: Lava on base so he could make Lava and knock people onto it. Combined with his 2 AoEs he was a monster for 60 Nora. He has been nerfed several times since then but is still incredibly good for his cost.

Upgrades
    Lava Storm is most peoples favorite despite it being more expensive because it also creates damaging terrain. Avalanche creates impeding terrain and Tidal Wave does not. The choice is yours depending on what you are looking to achieve. Note that Lava Storm only creates shallow lava (4 damage). If you want to keep him under 70 Nora take Shatter. You can never have too many sources of disarm. Terraform: Lava creates Deep Lava (8 damage) and is only on a CD of 2 so its consistent damage for a low AP cost (2) so I view it as a good investment. You can also combo it with earthshaker to knock people onto the lava for a 24 damage combo.

Synergies
    Earthshaker

[​IMG]

Veilwalker -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 76 | Dam: 11 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 3-5 | Def: 0 | HP: 44

Abilities
    • Defenseless
    • Vaporize
    First Ability Line
    • Brand (-3 Nora)
    • Soften (Default)*
    • Tariff (+2 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Afflict (-1 Nora)
    • Hex [Rank: 2] (Default)*
    • Frightful Blows (+1 Nora)

Notes
    Veilwalker used to be crazy efficient. Tariff was much cheaper and she could be run for 73 Nora. After 1-2 kills she was essentially a 60 Nora champ. She is still pretty good but just more expensive.

Upgrades

Tariff is still likely the most efficient upgrade if you can ensure that you can get a few kills while she is out. She is great to deploy on a turn where you can get 1-2 kills before she ever gets near a fight. If you are looking for a more combat oriented champ that isnt crazy expensive go ahead and take Soften. Soften is an often overlooked ability and lowering everything's defense by 3 lets you kill things that otherwise wouldn't be possible. On U2 I would take Hex. Its more all purpose. Frighting Blows is better in 1v1 engagements but even then it only barely beats out Hex.

Synergies

Return to Index

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Non-Holy Champions

Legend:
    ★ - Shoebox
    ★★ - Not very good
    ★★★ - Runnable
    ★★★★ - 1x Auto-include
    ★★★★★ - 2x Auto-include

- Common
    - Uncommon
    - Rare
    - Exotic
    - Legendary
    - Limited Edition

* - Recommended Upgrade

Aspect of Divinity -
    Meta Rating: ★½
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 90 | Dam: 12 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 3-4 | Def: 0 | HP: 40

Abilities
    • Ascendance
    • Heal Charged 2
    • Immunity: Physical
    • Radiant Blow
    First Ability Line
    • Divine Favor 1 (-4 Nora)
    • Divine Favor 2 (Default)
    • Divine Favor 3 (+4 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Explosive Attack 1 (-3 Nora)*
    • Explosive Attack 2 (Default)
    • Explosive Attack 3 (+3 Nora)
    Notes
    Synergies

Dwarven Catapult -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 70 | Dam: 7 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 4-6 | Def: 1 | HP: 41

Abilities
    • Dwarf Driven
    • Load Catapult
    • Siege
    First Ability Line
    • Stone Bomb 1 (-2 Nora)*
    • Stone Bomb 2 (Default)
    • Stone Bomb 3 (+2 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Farshot 1 (-3 Nora)*
    • Farshot 2 (Default)
    Notes
    Synergies

Dwarven King -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 88 | Dam: 12 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 3 | HP: 64

Abilities
    • Warcry 3
    First Ability Line
    • Melee Specialist 2 (Default)
    • Battlemaster 3 (+1 Nora)*
    • Power Attack 3 (+3 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Divine Favor 1 (-4 Nora)*
    • Divine Favor 2 (Default)
    • Divine Favor 3 (+4 Nora)
    Notes
    If there was one champion that has most defined the Ironfist play style over the years it would be the Dwarven King. The king has been a staple in Ironfist decks since the game began.
    Synergies

Dwarven Sergeant -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 67 | Dam: 10 | Spd: 5 | Rng: 1 | Def: 1 | HP: 54

Abilities
    • Drive
    • Rallying Cries 3
    First Ability Line
    • Command: Charge (Default)
    • Command: Block (+0 Nora)*
    • Readiness
    Second Ability Line
    • Defender 1 (-1 Nora)
    • Defender 2 (Default)
    • Defender 3 (+1 Nora)*
    Notes

Synergies
    Carouse
    Black Label Brew

Leoss Monk -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 63 | Dam: 12 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 1 | HP: 52

Abilities
    • Merciful
    • Soul of Ailur
    First Ability Line
    • Righteous Shield (Default)*
    • Divert (+3 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Invigorate 1 (-1 Nora)
    • Soul Bond (Default)
    • Invigorate 2 (+5 Nora)*
    Notes
    Synergies

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  15. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Pox Harbinger -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 80 | Dam: 11 | Spd: 7 | Rng: 3-6 | Def: 1 | HP: 48

Abilities
    • Attack: Ironfist Arrow
    • Flight
    First Ability Line
    • Initiative 1 (Default)
    • Initiative 2 (+3 Nora)*
    Second Ability Line
    • Scry 1 (Default)
    • Scry 2 (+1 Nora)*
    Notes
    Synergies
    Angel of Mercy

Silverclan Tinkerer -
    [​IMG]
    Stats
    Cost: 64 | Dam: 0 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 1 | Def: 0 | HP: 45

Abilities
    • Craft
    • Invigorate 2
    • Shatter
    • Superior Tinkering
    First Ability Line
    • Mason 1 (-3 Nora)*
    • Mason 2 (Default)
    • Mason 3 (+3 Nora)
    Second Ability Line
    • Grant: Evasive (-2 Nora)
    • Grant: Fire Trap (Default)
    • Grant: Electricity Aura (+1 Nora)*
    Notes
    Synergies

16. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Extra room for Non Holy etc.

17. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Spells 1

18. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Spells 2

19. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Relics

Legend:
    ★ - Shoebox
    ★★ - Not very good
    ★★★ - Runnable
    ★★★★ - 1x Auto-include
    ★★★★★ - 2x Auto-include

- Common
    - Uncommon
    - Rare
    - Exotic
    - Legendary
    - Limited Edition

Ankh of Valdac -

[​IMG]
    Cost: 30 | Def: 0 | HP: 20

Effect:
    This relic has Amplify - Healing

Notes:

Celestial Spear -
    [​IMG]
    Cost: 30 | Def: 0 | HP: 20

Effect:
    This relic has Celestial Radiance (When this unit is deployed, opposing champions within 4 spaces takes 8 Electricity damage. This damage ignores DEF. When a friendly Paladin within 4 spaces is successfully attacked, the attacker takes 4 Electricity damage).

Notes:

Earthshaker -

[​IMG]
    Cost: 35 | Def: 0 | HP: 25

Effect:
    This relic has Tremor

Notes:

Ironfist Standard -
    [​IMG]
    Cost: 20 | Def: 0 | HP: 21

Effect:
    This relic has Annex if it is in a Full Faction battlegroup. While this Warbanner relic in play, all of your deployed champions from Ironfist Stronghold gain +5 HP and +1 DMG. This effect does not stack. This does not affect teammates.

Notes:

Guard Tower -
    [​IMG]
    Cost: 35 | Def: 1 | HP: 28

Effect:
    Guard Tower has Detection 3, Battlemaster 2 and Resistance: Physical 1. At the start of your turns, all enemy champions within 4 spaces take 2 Physical damage and are knocked back 1 space.

Notes:

20. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Post 20