The Line Awakens

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

This movie was awful.

2. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

If you liked the prequels, please speak no further.
    If you didn't, please elaborate.

Geressen likes this.
  3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I thought it was good, the charecters were really good, the visuals and general atmosphere were good.

The thing the held it back from great for me, is that:
    How many times are we going to see almsost exactly the same Firking plot -- they get into a death star type thing, disable the shields, then some x-wings do a bombing run.

DarkJello likes this.
  4. Saandro

The plot makes no sense. It is as if everything reset, and nothing happened in 30 years. Han reverted to a scavenger for some reason, the empire is essentially intact and the rebels are still a minor force compared to them. Luke doing nothing for 30 years? Firk you movie. But we still need to have the original characters, and set it in the same universe just for nostalgia! As someone who is not a hardcore SW fan there were moments which just took me out of the movie. Han Solo's first appeareance and the main character's constant ''woaw you are Han Solo! Luke Skywalker exists? UUU the Millenium Falcon!''. The villain fanboying Darth vader, even though he redeemed himself and he never met him. Just no. The characters are weak and the acting isn't that great. Only the black guy seemed to care, but he was a comic relief character, with dialouge straight out of a Disney sitcom. Ford and Fisher's performance was so phoned in. It was obvious Ford doesn't want to be there, while Fisher looked like her face is full of botox and can't emote anything. Point for point recycled plot from ep4, only now the death star is 10 times bigger! But... still has the same weakness :(

And really? It consumes a sun to power up? Why even bother with planet destroying weapons, when it's charge up mechanism can destroy a sun, and essentially the whole solar system of it? Worst villain I have ever seen. I guess it's a Disney thing, since Marvel movies have lame villains too. MC is the definition of a Mary Sue. She hears about the force for the first time and instantly performs mind tricks and uses the light sabre? Heck even the janitor black guy could somehow use it. The final battle was lame. Way too many cuts. You couldn't tell what was going on. When they were locking lightsabres it looked fake. They clearly weren't putting any weight into it. (Considering a 50kg women is on one side I am not suprised). And the fight gets interrupted by a chasm which splits them right in the middle? Firk you. Too many coincidences. Mary Sue just happens to get BB8 and then Finn just happens to be there, and as soon as they escape Han Solo just happens to be there, and two separate thugs chasing him just happen to be there. And when they enter the Death Star they just happen to run into the Mary Sue, when it's supposedly a huge complex. Final fight interrupted by a chasm.

It was just action scenes chained one after another. And the scenes between were just characters talking about how to advance the plot and the next action scene. No character development and no quiet moments where we get to know then. Just mindless action rushing forward into the next mindless action scene. The one scene which was supposed to be emotional wasn't. Not only because you could see it coming a mile away, but because the actors didn't really portray a convincing father-son relationship. And the villain is a joke anyway. Awful was maybe the wrong word. But ''Completely average'' might be better. This movie is just a solid 5/10. But considering how everyone praises it I was quite dissapointed by it. I honestly think The Phantom menace is a better movie than this. Say what you will about it, atleast I had to look at this guy instead of this one. For all the Bane Shift in TPM I atleast remebered some cool designs. This movie is just forgettable and has nothing going for it. The final battle was also shot much better in TPM. You clearly saw what was going on and it had tension. And great music too.

5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Star Wars XVII: Return of the DeathStarkiller

DarkJello likes this.
  6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you think you are clever elaborating and then revealing you liked the phantom menace but what Ipox said was:
    so i'm just going to laugh about how wrong you are on many points.

7. Saandro

I never said I liked TPM or that it was a great movie.

8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I partly agree. It did seem a reversion to the feel of the originals - which is great, but it got to the point where it started to feel like a remake rather than a sequel. I wanted a bit more development of the star wars world.

I disagree with you about the chrecters, both the new ones seemed really good to me - the guy was likeable and has an interesting backstory, and the girl was much less bland than the female parts in any of the sequals (or most females in action/fantasy films generally).

Regarding the crappiness of the enemy; if I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, I'd assume that in the time it is set nobody has as good training in the force so the guy isn't as strong as previous ones - which is why even finn can hold his own against him for a while with a lightsabre. In which case that could have been explained better - though i guess it was hinted at.

I dunno, I left the cinema thinking it was a good film, but the more i think about it the more i'd prefered it done a bit differently.

DarkJello likes this.
  9. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

To me the story felt a bit rushed. I didn't like the masked villain much. He'd fit right into pretty much any emo kid joke that was ever invented. Supreme leader sock was also meh if you ask me. The starkiller thing blowing up that easily was a small let down too. I can see why the Death Star blew up in the first movie since they didn't have any pre- and/or sequels planed at the time. But going into the 7th movie they pretty much knew already that there'll be more, so they could have let some kind of threat remain at the end of the movie. Like.. damage the thing but keep it around so we have a bit more to lead us into the 8th movie other than two people going through a training montage. The end end with them standing around on the hill and not saying a thing felt incredibly stupid.

Though overall I'd say it was one of the more enjoyable movies that I've watched this year. There were some funny scenes, some cool scenes and while I didn't care about the main characters for the most part I did feel a bit sad when you-know-who died. I'd give it a 7/10, I think.

(Also the sun-eater was pretty big. I imagine it can't go into over-super-hyper-space so it has no way of getting anywhere fast. And it probably needs to be near a star to eat it, meanwhile the shots it fires seem to be able to travle a very long distance in a very short amount of time. So the weapon makes sense to me. I mean you can't relyably build a sun-eater at the doorstep of your enemy without being noticed, right?)

Geressen likes this.
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

11. Saandro

Lol. So many negative reviews on IMDB.

12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

don't put your faith in people who write reviews, they are like DJ, who goes online after debates to vote in polls.

you know, rude C words for female genitalia derived from the germanic/scandinavian root word kunta/kunti meaning hole.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

This is perfect.

15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

but not perfect enough for you to drop me a like.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

[​IMG]
    TRAITOR

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

this place got quiet...
    [​IMG]