The Poxnora Spotlight: doubtofbuddha

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IMAGIRL, Jul 26, 2016.

1. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

[​IMG]
    Full list: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/the-poxnora-spotlight-archive-and-requestlist.5591/

Today's interview is with @doubtofbuddha an avid Forglar Swamp player, and outspoken lover of all things Firk, and Jellebrium.

What is your name or nick name in real life?
    Jesse. My full name is actually a combination of two historical figures, but I am not going to share that with people on the internet.

What is the origin of your game/forum name(s):
    When I was in my twenties and in college I got interested in Buddhism and decided to make name that was a play on that. I have just stuck with it since then.

Where are you from and where do you live currently?
    I was born and grew up in Florida, USA, but my parents were hippies and we moved around a lot. I have since moved to Chicago though to start a new career.

What do you do for a living, and do you enjoy it?
    I am a data scientist. I changed from my old career as a rocket scientist to do this, and am quite happy with it yeah. It is an enjoyable job for me.

What does a Data Scientist do?
    Essentially I am responsible for looking at the data we have, answer questions, build predictive models, and provide recommendations on policy and business direction. This is backed up with my post-graduate work in statistics and specifically programming statistics.

How old are you?

How did you come across Pox Nora?
    It showed up on steam. I have always liked tactical games, including collectible miniatures games like Dreamblade and D&D Minis. I tried it out and was hooked.

How long have you played?
    It will be two years in October.

What is your favorite faction and why?
    Forglar Swamp. I appreciate that it is not really a stereotypical fantasy theme, plus I like their spell set quite a bit. Also their meta decks and themes are mostly all pretty fun.

Of all the decks you've played, is there one you've enjoyed the most?
    I think I actually just straight up FS meta decks the best. I understand people's attachment to themes, but I think meta decks are important for a healthy metagame and are just more creative in general.

Favorite part of Pox Nora and why?
    Deep tactical gameplay with a deep bench of runes.

What is the first rune you remember seeing and immediately wanting to have one?
    Angel of Nourishment back before angels were nerfed. I ended up spending a chunk of change for one.

What is your best tip to give to new players?
    Play skirmish for the free runes, but try not to pick up the bad habits that single player gives you.

As a follow up for the new players out there who are curious. What bad habits should they be wary of?
    Just assuming that people are going to behave the same way that the AI is, or doing things like spending all of their AP on any given turn. Neither is a good idea, and I have had to break new players of those habits.

Is there a rune that you feel isn't utilized as much as it could be?
    Not really. Most of the best runes tend to rise to the top.

Besides Poxnora, do you have any additional hobbies?
    Other video games. I also am really into film and certain types of music.

In what way are you into film?
    Avid watcher, mostly. I check out award winners and newly released films and love checking out film festivals and such. My recommendations are mostly based on genre and such, but I found Hanna to be really good and underrated.

What other games do you play?
    Right now the main other game I am playing is duelyst. It is pretty fantastic. Beyond on-line CMG/CCGs that I dabble in roguelikes, RPGs and grand strategy games (think Paradox Interactive). All of these are game styles I encountered early on, and have been able to maintain my interested to some degree. I was more into RPGs at one point, but I got tired of their repetitive nature and can only occasionally enjoy them. For roguelikes I most like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and Caves of Qud, for grand strategy games I like Europa Universalis and will like Stellaris once they improve it. For RPGs I have mostly recently played the Witcher 3.

Is there anything else about yourself that you would like to share with the community?
    I am fantastic.

Your answers thus far have been quite succinct. Is this there a particular reason for it? Is it a trait of you as a person, a scientist ect?
    I prefer precision and to not answer questions that are not asked of me. Extraneous information can lead to misunderstanding and confusion. Of course, I am also a bit succinct in real life despite being an extrovert. My girlfriend, and introvert, is waaaay more talkative than I am.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Anima26, Tweek516, bambino and 5 others like this.
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

This is good.

3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

@doubtofbuddha confirmed as Randall, the author of XKCD.

4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Edit: Fixed a formatting error.

5. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I approve.

6. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

This is just awesome!

7. doubtofbuddha

@darklord48 reprimended me for not bringing up the fact I was a vegetarian in my spotlight.

I am, and have pretty much always been thanks to how I was raised. I did eat seafood for a long time, but stopped when I started dating my current girlfriend, who is an ethical vegan. We live together, so I am probably going to switch to a mostly no animal products diet soon, I just have difficulty giving up cheese. So tasty.

bambino, Qucas and IMAGIRL like this.
  8. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I want to make meat less common in my diet, but giving it up entirely would be rather impossible. Not with that steakhouse around.

Tweek516, Qucas and IMAGIRL like this.
  9. doubtofbuddha

A funny thing that happened since I started dating my current girlfriend is that she told me that she thinks that meat basically smells like a cooked corpse. I never noticed this before, and mostly found the smell of cooking meat to be vaguely unpleasant rather than outright awful, but her suggestion of what it smells like has hit me too; I now also think it smells like a corpse cooking, though it still impacts me a bit less than it does her.

10. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Yeah well ... but it's a delicious corpse :s

Anima26 likes this.
  11. doubtofbuddha

As a life-long vegetarian I don't really have context for that.

12. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

yay for Duelyst

also, what music?

13. doubtofbuddha

Mostly indie rock. Favorite bands are Okkervil River (Seeing them in October), Arcade Fire, White Stripes, Vampire Weekend, The Blow, Cut Copy, and a bunch of others.

I actually have kind of moved on from Duelyst into the closed beta for Eternal. Not sure if I am going to rotate between Pox Nora, Eternal, and Duelyst or just stick with Pox Nora and one of the two yet though.

14. doubtofbuddha

[​IMG]

GF and I.

Anima26 and bambino like this.
  15. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

she's cute

whats eternal

16. doubtofbuddha

Yes! Waaaaay prettier than I am.

www.eternalcardgame.com. It is in closed beta and I am under NDA, so I can't speak about it beyond that.

17. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

is it yet another Magic or Hearthstone clone? Every hyped online CCG turns out to be another clone.

18. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

very kool interview,, maybe my fave thus far. we're in the same age range so many of your answers were very relatable to me, (aside from rocket science :) ).
    Seeing a pic of u and yer lady is kool, much more so then a blue name,,, shes adorable as
    well.. good show bro . ..
    and yea,, europa very kool game.

I'll give up woman before I give up my cheese

side note, , if any of u guys enjoyed Axis&Allies board game.(type games)......Triple A..... ,, is the name of site that has all these games free,,I recently downloaded,, its a treat,!,, u can solo , play with friends, even hotseat mode, and assign ai to any country.. alternate rules, teams etc.
    if anyone checks it out, please,, love to hear your thoughts...

19. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty