The Secret to Deck Building

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorian, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

This is the secret to deck building which I discovered early on. Now rarity means jack Bane Shift to power, however if you want a successful deck you will want enough champs to fulfil each of these roles. Things will vary slightly for each faction or split, however these are good general guidelines. Also getting champs which fulfil multiple roles saves room for more spells or other champs.

Roles

Buff - Buffs your Champs with Shroud
    Cannon - Deals Damage
    Control - Controls the Game Position or AP Wise
    Cheap Meat - Summons
    Draw Win - First Turn Draw Wins you the Game
    Glass Cannon - Damage Dealer Which Dies Easily
    Pseudo Range - 1-3 range + Range Attacks
    Tank - Takes Damage
    Super Tank - Tank Cannon
    Support - Provides Utility Such as Shatter, Healing or Detect

I will get to spells later but champ wise this is what a deck should include.
    6-8 Ranged Units Total
    8-10 Melee Units

These should be divided into.
    2-4 Control Units*
    4-6 Cannons
    2-4 Draw Win Units
    2-6 Support Units
    3-6 Tanks
    2-4 Cheap Meat*
    2-4 Healing*
    11 Minimum not including faction specific champ roles such as healing, cheap meat and control.

(*Depends on your Faction/s and what they have access to)
    (For deck building UD is the odd one for these rules)

Your Average Nora Cost Including Spells Should be 55-60.

You should get your local active top member of your forum like Kalasle for FW, Burnpyro for SL or Markoth for IS to list all the playable runes for your faction into these categories. Or any1 who has a good understanding of the faction will do. If Kalasle wont do it Themacca will. If people like the peeps I mentioned are willing to list all the runnable runes with ratings you are lucky! Also if they could list the runes purpose such as Tank, Support and Cannon etc... that would be a great help.

Ranking
    S - In a league of its own for its role
    A - Auto Include if you have it
    B - Best of the rest
    C - Caution in running too many of these runes.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    electus1 and Gnomes like this.
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

uhm yeah ya'll can suck a **** I ain't helping nobody (for free)

shouldn't this be like, in another forum or stuff?

3. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

guess again

chris0024, Etherielin, Burcho and 3 others like this.
  4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It takes more work than you seem to think. I have my Pally guide on the IS forums and I have trouble keeping it updated all the time unless I give up a significant portion of my time available to play games.

5. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

If I follow your minimum number of runes for each category I have 31 champs. Best guide!

6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

10/10 guide, I am now winning every game, and my erectile dysfunction has cleared right up.

Would recommend to a friend

7. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

that extra rune slot is a big advantage

8. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I smoke almost a pack a day to try and give myself cancer and die early to escape the reality of life to no avail...

but this thread gave it to me hassle free, thanks bro! 9/10

9. Vorian

These should be divided into.
    2-4 Control Units*
    4-6 Cannons
    2-4 Draw Win Units
    2-6 Support Units
    3-6 Tanks
    2-4 Cheap Meat*
    2-4 Healing*
    11 Minimum not including faction specific champ roles such as healing, cheap meat and control. Also don't forget some champs fulfil several roles simultaneously, for example the Armoured Fesh is a control rune as it has swap 3, and it is also a tank as it has 3 def, calcify and regen 2. So Armoured Fesh would count for the minimum of 2 categories. Alternatively for an extra 6 nora you can run the Ancient Slag which is a tank with colossal, a control rune with pull and a support rune with shatter. If I run 2 of them I have 4 of the minimum roles covered and one of the faction specific roles. Leaving 5-9 spaces for champs which fulfil different roles within the deck.

Why is Whirling Quarry so amazing? Its got the cannon role covered with stone barrage, its got the control aspect covered with whirling stones, and its got the support role covered with seism.

Once you have the minimums of each category covered you can then know your deck is Meta worthy and decide its focus such as tanky, fire power, control etc...

10. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Ye what dmr said. Dont get too down on the hate.

electus1, Woffleet and Vorian like this.
  11. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

I feel this guide is biased towards SP as some factions don't have access to all the roles you mentioned.

As a general guide for noobs 2/10
    As a guide to generic meta SP 8/10
    Effort 10/10

SPiEkY and darklord48 like this.
  12. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

wtf is your sig?

13. Vorian

Thx Devils. Anyway I put a * next to some of the roles as you are right not all factions have access to those roles. Part of the strength of SP atm is they have access to all the major and sub roles, with some champs covering 3 different roles for a cheap price. I mean 70 nora for the Ancient Slag which covers 3 roles and no1 runs it, because we have other champs which are more preferable for covering those roles lol.