The Unholy Tomb dilemma: Tempo and Nora Gen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Here's my general problem with the whole UT thing...

Opportunity Cost

Some people call this tempo, but I think it's more accurate to consider this as an opportunity cost. In general, I feel whenever something is considered "OP" it tends to be analyzed in a vacuum rather than in context of "what am I giving up" to use this rune at this time. In UT's case, in general, most discussion is solely focused on "it pays for itself and does global damage!" So I'd like to thank BP for at least discussing with this really means.

In my view, for runes in general there are two broad sides of the spectrum. The first, and more common, is the idea of "instant" or "spot" effects. The second is the "delayed" or "over time" effects. We recognize that the spot effects are stronger in nature and therefore should be less efficient than "delayed" effects.

In the case of UT, the global damage portion, while global, suffers harshly from two types of inefficiencies when it comes to damage sources - it is unfocused (cannot choose the target to focus damage onto a target) and slow (maximum of 1 HP on a particular unit per turn). In the meantime, the rune still costs a decent amount up-front.

For a rune like Thunderhead Totem or Fire Blast, etc. the damage is instant and considerably more valuable for obvious reasons.

So obviously, if UT didn't generate nora, it'd just be terrible in most cases. The whole point of such an effect is that it is coupled with some benefit for not having a valuable instant effect.

I think the arguments in general tend to simply argue that the IDEA of such a relic is bad in of itself rather than discuss the specifics.

The Recent Change

UT was literally just adjusted. The problem I have with bringing it up again for change a few days after an adjustment seems crazy, especially since the change was proposed by the very same person who wants the rune nerfed again.

Interaction with Backlash

If UT is a problem in of itself and is a "thoughtless deploy" even with Backlash out, what does that say about the rune absence of Backlash? Changing the way Backlash deals with UT (either by changing Backlash itself or UT's HP) doesn't address UT at all outside of that interaction. In fact, it seems to go against what players typically say: that they do not want "counter or lose" situations. Thus, we have toned down nora generation in various ways rather than requiring you to run Backlash, while still allowing Backlash to have a role in lessening the impact of such mechanics.

~

Check out Nora Mine and see how much nora it generates for its cost in exchange for not having global damage.

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Thank you.

3. Sokolov

To expand on the last point a bit:

If it is a brainless deploy rune, why do we want to change a particular interaction with it instead of addressing the problem itself?

I also don't believe that Backlash is as poor as suggested. It is a cheap ability with the capability of drastically capping the potential of nora generation runes. It's also cheap to allow people to choose it more often without feeling like their champions are sandbagged.

Conceptually, I don't think anyone would argue that deploying a Hunter: Hero champion should make any deployed Hero extremely inefficient immediately - what is it about nora gen that makes people want Backlash to be a much stronger counter than we typically expect from counter abilities?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I was just giving my opinion on UT in this thread, but if we're talking backlash:

Backlash in it's current form allows most forms of nora gen to at least get their nora worth back. Your backlash also needs to be out for a great number of turns to actually make a difference. For example, ancient implications works for 6 turns, which would require the UT to gen 20*2=40hp (1 dmg per 2 nora) 40/3=13,3, rounded up 14. There would have to be 14 champs out on your part to use an ancient implications (35 nora) if only used for the backlash to kill UT. I think we can agree that 14 champs would be quite unrealistic in most games. So you would need 2 ancient implications (or chain them off cd) and have 7 champs out. Then we're looking at a 70 nora investment (again, 7 champs is still pretty big). While the tomb is allowed to gen for 3 rounds + 7 rounds on cd + 3 rounds for the second implications. It's probably payed itself off at that point. Sure implications has other uses too, but this is to demonstrate that the new UT and the new backlash greatly favor UT. I could do some math on other forms of backlash, but it would all depend on how good the actual champ is.

As dmr also mentioned, the 20hp on the UT feels very strong. It takes 2 attack or 2 AoEs to kill and can withstand backlash for a very long time. All of this combined with the fact that it's sitting behind your shrine makes it quite impossible in most games to kill. Now if it had say 12 hp, like tome, it would give backlash a bigger chance and some AoEs could kill it in one go (I mean, you'll still pay more than 35 for your AoE and you need spell presence).

If you're not comfortable buffing backlash, which I would think guessing from your reaction and the fact that it was nerfed in the first place, reducing the hp on the UT might make it less of a 'hard to counter nora gen & loss of life machine'.

I hope you found this thread and post interesting and constructive to the ongoing discussion of the Unholy Tomb.

saromon50, Goyo and SPiEkY like this.
  5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Instead of changing backlash, why not have another ability that isn't specific to nora gen that is able to damage relics from afar. Something along the lines of Jab, but targeting the relic furthest from the deployed champ.

6. Sokolov

Also, note that I have no problem discussing whether Backlash should be buffed to 1:1.

However, if the primary argument to buff it is UT, then I have to consider that suspect.

So let's take a look at the non-UT portion of the replay:

I think this quote adequately encompasses the additional details you provided.

Why is the removal of all future nora generation from that source not considered a benefit or difference?

This seems to be a misappropriation of value and benefits.

Do you consider killing a champion on the board not making a difference if that champion already dealt its HP in damage or killed one of your champs? Clearly, killing the enemy champion no matter what it may or may not have done previously tends to be positive for you? (Unless you give up board position and put your own stuff in danger to do so, of course.) It seems awkward to suggest that anything you might have used to help you kill that champion isn't good in that scenario because the rune already did something. Or if we consider an upfront damage relic being deployed (outside of a font), do you consider killing that relic not making a difference?

So what is different about killing something that happens to be generating nora instead of providing some other board benefit that makes what it used to kill it consider bad?

~

In addition, if you believe that Backlash doesn't counter UT well and that is what should be addressed, are you also saying that UT is fine when not countered by Backlash, and it is only that the expectation of the counter is the problem?

7. Leogratz

Leogratz Devotee of the Blood Owl

@Sokolov

Even being a thoughtless deploy, I think that UT is in a much better place right now - 25 ticks to break even plus 2 Nora per extra tick led to a counter or lose scenario, while 35 ticks to break even plus 1 Nora per extra tick does not come even close to snowballing.

If anything, I think now people will be able to gauge how globe denial was the major definer in many x/FW matches...

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. Sokolov

This is true. I wasn't suggesting it was solely your idea, but it is also true you did say you liked it. I also actually added on the 5 nora onto it, and also did change the non-Undead clause to enemy as part of the general move away from "nearly everything is undead in FW because all their stuff keys off undead" problem.

9. Sokolov

Making the availability of a rune more random in a deck doesn't seem like the best way of balancing things in general, thus I opted for other changes.

10. serxic

serxic I need me some PIE!

Sorry, the 80% the mid games turns around only 6 champions, 3 are yours. The games are very fast. Rarely the opponent reach 4 champions for conquest the mid font, if the mid font was conquested, is autolose, Unholy tomb no will be guaranteed for still the battle.

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

One minor correction on a technical point of Burn's post: Ancient Implications has an 8 turn duration, not 6, which means 4 ticks of Backlash on Tomb et al, rather than 3. Doesn't change the math a whole lot, but for the sake of accuracy --

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oops, my bad.

That would change the match to 20*2=40 40/4=10 champs out to kill the tomb with one Ancient Implications. Still quite unrealistic in most games. But better, yes.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, that probably won't happen on a small map or with most BGs, but someone using NK Guide, or particular BGs like Beasts with Furbull mother, can more realistically hit that number. (Still rough on standard goodstuff, though)

Edit: Burn, how much have you played with UT after the change, and how has it felt to you? How does that compare to your experience playing against it? Not looking for a particular response, just eager for more information and to keep this thread on topic.

14. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

If I understand this correctly, the problem with Unholy Tomb and other Nora Generation is that it provides a reward at a relatively low risk.
    Unholy Tomb used to be high reward / low risk, and it got nerfed, so it is medium reward / low risk now.

The current debate is about reducing the reward further, or by increasing the potency of Backlash.
    So the current goal is to find a risk/reward-equilibrium.

Since Nora Generation tends to be problematic in general, another option would be to take the bull by the horns and
    slightly increase the potency for Nora Generation in all factions (i.e. by adding Nora Miner 1 to several Champions across the board),
    but at the same time add Backlash to more Champions.

15. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Now this is an interesting line of thought...

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Really, it's not. Because you'd create two problems: 1) splits to get a "nora miner" theme, and 2) nora mines making 10-12 nora per turn.

Goyo likes this.
  17. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Thank you.

I'll elaborate it a little further. Currently, we are asking: Why would we run Nora Generation?
    If it is high reward / little risk, it is too strong. If it is low reward / high risk, it is too weak. If it is low reward / low risk, it is boring.
    And only if it is high reward / high risk, it may be interesting.

How do we increase the risk? By making Backlash stronger.

But what if we look at Backlash the same way: Why would we run Backlash?
    It is a sandbag if the opponent runs no Nora Generation. It is a medicore or good counter if the opponent runs Nora Generation.
    So it used to be high risk / low reward. Sok has reduced its cost, so that now it is medium or low risk / low reward.

My suggestion might go in a bold direction, but in order to make Backlash worth running, it must actually counter something.
    If it counters something that reads: "Well, I deploy it if they don't run a counter, and else, well, no harm done -- I simply won't deploy it", it will remain a problematic ability. If we increased the amount of Runes it counters by adding many mini-Noragenerators, it would actually reduce the risk and increase the reward.

So, as paradoxical as it may sound, I think the best way to handle Nora Generation is to make it more common.

18. Sokolov

I think that as a general concept, this has merit. I do think Nora Generation is a bit too broad of a mechanic in the context of PoxNora itself to do this with, however.

19. Sokolov

Any comments on my replies to you earlier in the thread?

20. limone1981

limone1981 I need me some PIE!

Why don't make UT font powered and lower is price to 30???

Sirius and iPox like this.