Theme Adjustments #1 - Wings and Hyaenids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So the way this is going to work is that each of these threads will feature 2 themes.

There will be 2 categories of adjustments: short-term adjustments and future development goals.

Short-Term Adjustments are things that can be done relatively quickly, ability/stat adjustments, etc., and perhaps minor tweaks to abilities. Expect these to happen relatively quickly once the ideas are finalized. The primary goal is to diversify the choices within the theme, and perhaps give the theme some additional meta tools if they are lacking (for example, anti-equipment or lack of detection).

Future Goals are things that we'd like to see for the theme in the future. This include new mechanics or abilities that would work with the theme. You will likely see this ideas come to fruition on new runes in future expansions.

Notes:
    • We are not talking about a complete overhaul of anything in most cases
    • This is intended to promote diversity, rather than redesign things
    • These are IDEAS until in the game, and is subject to change

WINGS (IS)
    The Wings of Al'mara are a flight-based theme in IS that focuses on positioning and timely triggers of their signature Sigil abilities. Their stats are primarily DEF and HP focused.

Short-Term Goals
    • Sigils Restructure
      • This champion gains X for 5 turns when a friendly unit with a Sigil ability is deployed from the runedock.

• Specific Adjustments
    • Amber Wing
      • Nora 79 from 84
      • HP to 55 from 49
      • Amber Sigil - Arrow Eater (Nora: 5)
      • Grant: Magical Aura to base
      • Arrow Eater removed from base
      • U1: Amplify Magic, Magic Eater, Magic Aura 3
      • U2: Bold, Shroud
    • Amethyst Wing
      • Nora to 71 from 79
      • Amethyst Sigil - Vaporize (Nora: 3)
    • Cerulean Wing
      • Nora to 68 from 78
      • HP to 45 from 50
      • Cerulean Sigil - Entangling Attack (Nora: 3)
      • U1: Hinder Movement, Pin Down
      • U2: Mobility, Hit and Run, Retreat 2
    • Emerald Wing
      • Nora to 77 from 84
      • DMG to 12 from 10
      • HP to 47 from 45
      • Emerald Sigil - Teleport 1 and Grant: Teleport (Nora: 4)
    • Ivory Wing
      • Nora to 70 from 72
      • Ivory Sigil - Illuminate (Nora: 2)
    • Obsidian Wing
      • Nora to 82 from 80
      • HP to 55 from 50
      • RNG to 1-2
      • Obsidian Sigil - Enrage 2 and Opportunistic Assault (Nora: 5)
      • U2: Binding Chains, Stun
    • Platinum Wing
      • Nora to 77 from 79
      • Platinum Sigil - +1 RNG and Improve Range (Nora: 6)
    • Scarlet Wing
      • Nora to 67 from 69
      • SPD to 6
      • RNG to 4-5
      • Opportunistic removed from base
      • Scarlet Sigil - +1 DMG and Attack - Fire (Nora: 3)
    • Griffin Perch
      • Honorary Sigil added to base
    HYAENIDS (SP)
    Hyaenids utilize debuffs and guerrilla/swarm tactics. The Djinn sub-module gives additional utility and alternative damage. They have below average stats but compensate by compounding effects of debuffs, dots and dogpile.

Short-Term Adjustments
    • Dogpile: Nora to 2 from 4
    • Hyaenid Executioner: Nora to 80 from 85, Crushing Blow to U2 (replaces Serf to the Djinn)
    • Hyaenid Mundunugu: Nora to 69 from 73
    • Hyaenid Stalker: Nora 70, SPD 7, Attack - Acid, Shadowspawn, Surge: Hyaenid, U1: Scrapper/Shadowstrike/Stealth, U2: Assassinate, Deep Wounds

Future Goals
    • Provide new and interesting ways to interact debuffs
    • Each Djinn will have a special Hyaenid or Elemental only Grant ability
      • Ifrit: Berzerker 3 until targets change (AP1, CD2)
      • Marid: Leap 3 until targets change (AP1, CD2)
      • Dao: Reflexes 3 until targets change (AP1, CD2)
      • Dew: Unstoppable and Mountaineer until targets change (AP1, CD2)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Just in case I'm not reading this properly, Wings are getting cost reductions?

Ballballer and SPiEkY like this.
  3. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

Hyaenids attribute focus is? Low everything + dot / debuff / dogpile. The 3 D's.

Kampel, BurnPyro and Sokolov like this.
  4. Strings

Seems like it. I wonder if the newest wings will get a cost reduction, since surely the devs. did not price those abilities at 100% more, just to go and reduce them.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Some will, I need to go over all the Sigils, at least one costed just as much as having the abilities on base last I checked.

jayscales1 and soulmilk like this.
  6. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

I know boost is being changed, but is it really necessary for them to all be beasts?

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I will quote myself from another thread:

What if Sigils were reworked to include Flight to free up some design space? As it is many of the Wings are bland because Flight is locking up a ability slot. It also helps prevent situations of auto-winning on some maps like the Voil used to.

It would look something like:

jayscales1, hfok, Woffleet and 3 others like this.
  8. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

How competitive are those themes*?

For the Hyaenids. At first glance Serf to the Djinn and Dogpile look somewhat contrary:
    You either want as many Hyaenids out to maximize Dogpile, or you want to have both Djinns and
    Hyaenids out for Serf to the Djinn. At second glance, you'll notice that almost all Djinn can have Surge: Hyaenid,
    so they are not all that contrary after all. Then there is Cackle -- a strong ability, but also one that
    interferes with using Dogpile as much as one can.

Therefore my question to those who know better than I do**: How rounded does the Hyaenid Theme feel?
    Is there a strong synergy between those abilities, and is it fun to play?

* -- I can't tell just by looking at them.
    ** -- Since I have no clue.

mortal ix likes this.
  9. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Also when people worry about Wings...they really mean "Scarlet Wing" ...but you prolly know that. Not the other 80% of the wings that people can't remember the names too. And when they talk about the synergy of Wings...they mean running 2x Scarlet wings together.

p.s. Don't buff Scarlet , buff the bad ones...but don't buff them in a binary way...(stats etc) power should come from creative sigil use and thanks for looking at the reasonable costing of said sigils.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Amber Wing:

The problems with this rune were discussed pretty extensively already in the IS forums. The biggest takeway seemed to be that it would get Grant: Magical Aura as its new Sigil bonus. This would result in no change of its Sigil cost but could result in a cost reduction if Arrow Eater was made its 2nd path ability, resulting in a base value of 80.

Amethyst Wing:
    Amethyst Sigil currently costs 8 points. Vaporize costs 9 points. Going for the ½ cost methodology (and conservatively rounding up to 5 points) would make this rune have a base cost of 76.

Cerulean Wing:
    Cerulean Sigil gives Bold and costs 6 points. Bold costs 8 points. Going with the 50% metric would result in this unit being priced at 76 points.

Emerald Wing:
    Emerald Sigil gives Damage Shield – Electricity 3 and Teleport 1 for 10 points. Damage Shield Electricity 3 and Teleport 1 already cost 10 points. So the cost reduction to 5, would shave this unit from 84 to 79.

Ivory Wing:
    Ivory Sigil gives +2 Def and Illuminate which adds up to 10 points. Ivory Sigil itself costs 4 points, so this would result in a 1 point increase in its cost to 73.

Obsidian Wing:
    Obsidian Sigil gives +2 damage and Opportunistic Assault for 4 points. Opportunistic Assault and +2 damage add up to 12 points, resulting in a 2 point increase in Obsidian Wing’s cost to 82.

Platinum Wing:
    Platinum Sigil gives +1 Max Range and Impairing Feedback for 4 points. Impairing Feedback alone costs 8 points and this would result in an increase in the cost of Platinum Wing above its 79 point cost.

Scarlet Wing:
    Scarlet Sigil gives +1 Damage and Attack: Fire for 4 nora. Stat bonus: Damage +1 costs 2 nora and Attack: Fire costs 0. This would result in a reduction in cost to 1 nora for Scarlet Sigil, resulting in Scarlet Wing’s base cost being reduced to 66.

So on the whole it would result in cost reductions, but for three wings it would be a cost increase. This is a bit of a shame as neither Ivory Wing nor Platinum Wing are seen in competitive bgs, and even Obsidian Wing is a bit borderline. I also am pretty sure Scarlet Wing does not need a cost reduction. Markoth's suggestion would help this a bit, I think.

Etherielin and Thbigchief like this.
  11. Strings

As a side note, I dislike flying based themes as on some maps they have a massive advantage. Strig, Imps, Voils, they've all done this. Is there a way this can be tackled outside of changing the maps? I am specifically thinking of stuff like the IS map with 5 fonts, where from the middle font a flyer can threaten the outer ones by doing nothing other than "being".

BurnPyro likes this.
  12. Strings

Impairing Feedback should probably be 4-5 nora max IMO. At best it makes subsequent range attacks cost +1 AP on the attacking champ for a few turns. I would rather have dodge 9/10 times. Maybe that is just me though.

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Mmm. My concern would be that some might just become splashable meta units (as some already are).

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

No love for skywings.

Dhamun and Poxlife like this.
  15. doubtofbuddha

I would kind of prefer there to be more splashable meta units for all factions rather than less. Though I guess that comes down to design philosophy. Do you want meta to be viable or not?

16. doubtofbuddha

That would certainly help Platinum Wing and other champions with Impairing Feedback. Sokolov, is this something worth considering?

17. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Burn is right, and I edited my original to reflect. Learn from Scarlet.... power shouldn't come from meta standard but rather synergy and sigil effective use...but careful not to make all the power come from gimmick either. Tough job to balance..good luck Sok

Woffleet, Etherielin and Poxlife like this.
  18. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

Kind-of confused.
    Sigil abilities cost 50% less than the abilities in your example proposal.
    However the sigil abilities pass out the ability to nearby units, in many cases 3 units, thus passing out 400% of the ability (counting the unit itself) but you only pay for 50%?

Netherzen likes this.
  19. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Yes and no. Sigils only pass out the ability to other champs for a single round. Ability costs are priced assuming a champion has the ability until it dies. So the value of passing out the abilities is much reduced from the normal value.

20. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

This.