Theme Adjustments #2 - Maljaran Races

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Yeah more the mechanic of not having a tether is what Im most concerned with but the other proposed ideas and current design also contradict being few imo, by promoting some group huddled kitty hand holding mass.

- How about...

Pride of Ailur : When a friendly champion with Soul of Ailur gets attacked this champion becomes enraged 2 or 3 for 2 turns. When a friendly champion with Pride of Ailur is deployed this champion gains +1 or 2 ap.

Soul of Ailur : When a friendly champion with Pride of Ailur gets attacked this champion gains calcify or blessed/purified ? for 3 turns. When a friendly champion with Soul of Ailur is deployed this champion gains +1 or 2 ap.

2. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

You say they are fine, but I've watched many of your games, and I've only seen you lose with Stitched, but win with other UD themes.

Perhaps, I just have not caught you on good Stitched days though.

3. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

cuz stitched take 9000 skillz man

Kampel and Netherzen like this.
  4. Mausini

Mausini I need me some PIE!

Wall of text inc. :)

I read the Maljaran story again, looking for some input for a Leoss racial that fits into their lore.
    https://www.poxnora.com/info/story.do?i=20

What I think Leoss are:
    • There are only a few Leoss left. Approximately 6000. So every death is a tragedy.
    • They are almost always outnumbered and keen fighters until the very end.
    • They do care about each other, not like the Kanen.
    • They wont give up because they have nothing to lose. The only way to end a fight with a Leoss is to kill him.
    This is why I like the outnumbered playstyle Leoss had in the past. It felt great to have less champs on the field than your opponent and try to work around that.

I dislike the Soul/Pride mechanic because it forces you to deploy certain champs for making that mechanic run and the problems it causes on bigger maps. But I like the idea of more offensive and defensive orientated Leoss. This is also carried by their Lore. The super aggro warriors and the peaceful monks.

What could the racial be?
    Racial means for me synergy but thats a hard thing to accomplish if you have only a few champs out. = All synergies that relies on having a other champ next to each other are probably not a good idea.
    Racials that rely on having a specific amount of champs out do have the same problem.

What is left?
    • On deploy effects of champs with the same race
    • On death effects of champs with the same race
    • Actions of champs with the same race (Leoss warcry, Packleader, Aid Def).
    • Effects that are tied to actions your opponent do.
    • Do I miss some?
    My assumption:
    Lets go back to the outnumbered playstyle. It was unique, fun and there is already some code that can be reused for implementation.

Pride of Ailur:
    If a Leoss Champ is deployed or dies all Leoss gain Protective, Unstoppable and Roar of the Fallen for 4 Rounds if you have less champs on the board then your opponent.
    Nora Cost: 6 (10 for all -4 for the racial condition)

Soul of Ailur:
    If a Leoss Champ is deployed or dies all Leoss gain Scale Armor, Unstoppable and Roar of the Fallen for 4 to 6 Turns (not sure about that) if your opponent has more champs on the board then you.
    Nora Cost: 8 (12 for all -4 for the racial condition)

Why?
    • I like Protective and Scale Armor more than plain and boring stat boosts.
    • Protective gives more damage than the current implementation but is tied to a hurtful precondition. It represents the defending part of the lore of the Leoss.
    • Scale Armor fits better to Roar of the Fallen. Pure def stats would make that combo op.
    • If a Leoss dies it is a tragedy for all Leoss and they roar in horrifying anger. Roar of the Fallen is a comeback mechanic and should help carrying the outnumbered playstyle.
    • Unstoppable is the thing I am not sure with. Its extremely powerful but in the past movement hindering stuff was the loose condition for Leoss bgs. It might be to powerful.
    • I tried to create something that ensures that you need to play Leoss as a true racial like all other Maljaran Races
    Before you start complaining:
    • Remember: This mechanic just works if you are outnumbered. If you deploy more stuff or kill enough stuff you are going to loose the whole racial after a short time and you have nothing anymore.
    • This means: When you are on a winning road you are going to loose your extra offensive and defensive stats. Thats a super major disadvantage and going lead to some loses. But this will also lead to hard fights with comebacks on both sides. Sounds cool for me.
    This is just a first idea and needs to be discussed. There are a lot of set screws for adjusting the idea.

If the precondition of the racial leads to to much looses after you gained a advantage in numbers, pride and soul could bea longer duration.
    It Protective or Scale Armor is to powerful plain stat boosts could be used or stuff like Calcify or whatever. There is a lot of room for tweaking.

I hope this is somehow a base for a discussion. I know that the idea is not ultimate one.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    pixniri likes this.
  5. Elric

True that. You have to really outplay your opponent to get a win with Stitched.

6. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

I really really liked the "death-toll" on matriarch sarinda. You would deploy a stitchling and then deploy sarinda and instantly reconstruct it.

7. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

Absolutely disagree. Matriarch Sarinda feels really meh in stitched right now because she is a shadow of her former self and I can only compare her to her pre-revamp incarnation, but I think she is actually REALLY good now in "goodstuff" BG's

8. Elric

In a so-called "goodstuff" split deck with FW, Timothy the Vile is a much much better option to go with.

9. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

Death Harvest and Eradicate far outweigh 4 speed lumbering body blockers, the summon and pawn. To me atleast. Timothy is cheaper though, but I still think Sarinda is a better package unless you can make really good use out of the zombies somehow

10. Elric

I have seen many top 100 players use Timothy the Vile, but I have never seen any of them use Matriarch Sarinda. Would be interesting to see, I suppose.

11. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

It seems like not many people are interested in fixing the champions for leoss rather fixing the pride and soul

12. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

It is hard to fix a champ if it's bogged down with a broken/overcosted/sandbagging/prohibitive racial :/

Mausini likes this.
  13. Elric

Stitched Magician could use some kind of buff. Whenever I cast Arise, I'm always hoping that I do NOT get a Stitched Magician, as the Stitched Dreameater and Stitched Blackguard are so much better.

14. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

leoss druid waaaay to expensive can we remove tunnel for something else?

15. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

We've just got done nerfing speed and you want to add more speed creep into the game? So you drop champ 1 on turn 1. Turn 2 you drop champ 2 and now champ 1 is pseudo 7 or 8 speed.

16. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- +1 or +2 ap for a 80ish nora deploy if also X plus Y is a little different then +1 global perma-speed...but I hear yah. Someone deploys a Leoss monk, then another...the first could gain +1 ap that turn...doesn't sound too scary to me.

17. Skullferno

Skullferno I need me some PIE!

okay so I just re-read the 4 articles on the lore over the races.

From what I gathered, Leoss were these prideful mighty warriors who were great and strong but not invicible or perfect. They have less then 6000 of their race left so they are very careful and also very defensive. Monks and Warriors are their bread and butter.

Stitched are these....dark twisted foes that use tricks and shadows to take down enemies, then use the "stitchery" to turn the dead into legions of warriors.

A snippit from the lore was "When Admiral Deblin Redjaw entered, he drew his flintlocke at whatever waited. He scanned the room, but found nothing. All of the lavish furnishings: the paintings, the wardrobe, the ornate chest, the elven full-length mirror, the bed and the girl laying in it; all were gone. He couldn't figure how they had managed to do it, but they did. The poor lass, and all those belongings, were probably in the Ruined Shores by then. Gone, for good." This makes it seem that the stitched take everything they can to build, and nothing is left behind.

Kanen are....pretty spot on. Maybe tone down the lesser kanen, due to in lore 1 leoss could take on many mongrels and runts. A snippit is
    "Rashall swung his obsidian blade and the Kanen was felled before his feet. He turned to see the Ravager, running his blades through another, then twisting them and pulling them out. The mongrel's body dropped, one section pulled from the other. The spray bathed the Ravager. Mosharn, the mighty Barricade, stood several paces away, engaged against the pack Alpha. His shield smashed the massive beast, bringing it to its knees. Mosharn brought his spear into its flank. The Alpha struggled, roaring at the massive Leoss. Mosharn drove it further. The Alpha was felled. The battle would be over soon. Rashall charged into a blood-soaked Animus and drove his blade towards its snout. The Animus parried the blade between its claws, and then began to pull at it. Rashall kicked it in the stomach, his claws drawn and digging into its flesh. From the corner of his eye, another mongrel was approaching. The Animus began a hissing chuckle, its jaw in a rotten grin. He pulled the blade free and swung at the Animus. The Animus dodged then darted away. He was off-balance; his kicking leg wasn't planted in the ground, where it should have been. The Mongrel smashed into his side. Never get knocked down by a Kanen. He drove his foot into the ground and shifted his weight into the Mongrel's tackle. The two slid then stopped. Rashall was still standing. He cast off the runt and then drove his blade into its chest as it tried to recover. As he pulled at the blade, something landed on his back and bit at his neck. Claws scratched wildly at his back. The pain brought him to his knees. He pulled his blade from the dead Kanen and began to stab at the creature. It nimbly dodged each blow. The pain began to envelope his senses. He let loose a furious roar and stabbed at the creature with all of his might. He felt the blade connect with a soft body. There was a yelp and the scratching stopped. He turned to see the Animus, clutching its side. The grin was still on its mouth. Rashall raised his blade, staring into the wild eyes. These were the Kanen, beasts born to kill and to die. A creature that grinned at its death was a creature worth destroying."

This shows that yes mongrels and lesser kanen are born to die and kill that is all, but it also shows that most die...quite easily. I've noticed that mid game most lesser kanen have around 45-55 hp due to Altar of Kane Taris and Banner giving them +10 hp plus boost in some scenarios. I think at best these lesser kanen should have max 35-40 hp.

Also in the lore when the alpha fell, most lesser kanen fled the battle and ran away...(maybe a death effect of alphas dying? 4 spaces any kanen without alpha gets frighten 4 and randomly relocate 3 spaces away)

Tortuns- They are a huge battalion of naval warfare, they are renound for their naval and also their cannon shots. They are also known for killing thousands of kanen. Tortuns don't get justice because really they did a lot of work against the kanen, and not to mention transporting all the protectorate troops from the main land to the island.

This is just lore to game play, no real ideas or anything. I thought I just show this to hope to get some inspiration going with ideas and stuff

18. Elric

You should write for Pox Nora, especially more Stitched stories! :)

19. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

hmmm....what if we get stitched made from chest.... a mimic :O
    pls sok next expansion[​IMG]

Kampel likes this.
  20. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

So.... Tortuns:

(this assumes KF bonus rebalanced)

Main problem at the moment of the revamp was the amount of ability each tortun had, wich was partially solved with a bundle called tortun shell, that has amphibious and turtle on it, with a conditional. I propose to add ponderous to that bundle aswell, so we have 1 ability less, it would end as:

Tortun shell: while this unit has 1 or more defense, it has amphibious, ponderous and turtle. Note this implies a new cost of -4 nora and the removal of ponderous from all champions affected.

The next problem was the non stopping nora gen that doomed tortuns facing counters such as backlash and corrupted nora, this was fixed making tortun's trade an activated ability, but the drop in power was too much, I propose making it a bit stronger, extending it to rogues too, so it becomes a "pirate" thing.

Sea Smuggling: for 1 turn, whenever this unit successfully attacks, it gains 1 nora for every friendly tortun or rogue.

Ideally, tortun rogues would grant double bonus.

With that out of the way, I proceed to analyze champions briefly, leaving bokor and risen grenadier for the end:

Split heroes:

Mangleshell: Simple and effective, given that he's a split hero and we have room for another ability, I propose to move sea smuggling/TT to base and replace the second upgrade path with dread, intimidate and debilitate

Tremir: Tremir's still as dangerous as ever, like mangleshell, I propose to move sea smuggling/tt to base and turn that upgrade path to pistol shot (removed from base), reflexes 3, rogue foe. Race charged cold go on the first path to add variety.

Exotics:

Tortun captain: SPD to 6, bastion of courage instead of accrue on path 1

Privateer captain: DMG to 10, RNG to 2-4 (to use slam better) DEF to 2, change of plans base, bash added to path 2.

Rares:

Tortun battle mystic: DEF to 2, HP to 50, class to wizard, Arrow eater replaced by elusive, immunity sonic replaced with immunity fire, path 2 becomes spellswallower, tempo.

Tortun corsair: RNG to 1 from 1-2, resonance replaced with detection 2, tariff replaced with precision.

Tortun favored: RNG to 5-6, DEF to 2, HP to 50, heal mass 3 to base. Path 1 to nora shield 1, cleanse, high tide.

Tortun gunslinger: HP to 50. Sea smuggling to base Ricochet shot removed from base, Path 1 is Piercing shot, barrage, precision, path 2 is combo attack declare target, counterattack range, ricochet shot.

Tortun portalmage: DMG to 0, race charged added to path 1. relocate ally to base.

Tortun repeater: Range to 4-7, DEF to 2, HP to 50, suppressing fire removed from base, path 1 becomes suppressing fire, sentinel, defensive strike, Shrine defender added to base, font defender added to base, defenseless added to base. Impossible for me to predict the cost though.

Uncommon:

Tortun broadside: HP to 50

Tortun galesinger: DMG to 12, DEF to 2, HP to 50,class to bard, wizard. zephyr shield removed from base, shroud added to base windstriker added to base, path 1 becomes gale, repulsion, wind aura/lockdown.

Tortun inventor: good

Tortun slamhammer: HP to 50, DMG to 10, Path 2 becomes scale armor, resistance physical 2, reflexes 2. CA: stun price looked at.

Tortalleon pygmy: SPD to 4, accrue to base Warding to base, Path 2 becomes Rend 1, Strike, Combo attack devastate.

Common:

Tortun fishkisser: HP to 50, DEF to 2, Path 1 becomes charge 3, assault, manic. Resilient added to base

Tortun grenadier: HP to 50, class to rogue, Pillage removed from base, path 2 becomes pillage, sea smuggling, siege.

Tortun mortar: DMG to 14, SPD to 5, DEF to 2, HP to 50, ready added to base.

Tortun groundpounder: HP to 50, opportunistic replaced with accrue, crushing charge removed from path 1, antagonize to base.

Tortun minelayer: HP to 50, class to ranger, tinkerer. accrue to base, path 1 becomes detection3, lay trap boulder 3, lay trap fire 3. path 2 becomes relocate relic, sea smuggling, eat traps.

Tortalleon Gunbattery: Colossal to base, path 1 becomes shroud, guard tower, path 2 becomes bash, impact strike

FW splits:

Tortun bokor: Faction to FS/FW.classes to witch, rogue, RNG to 1, First path becomes elsari coven, sea smuggling, Soul channeling, second path becomes curse 2, hex 3, soul collection. Attack pistol becomes attack: physical.

Risen grenadier: I think this rune "splitness" isn't well made, I would change it to race : undead, tortun, zombie, and Path 1 [grant death nova fire, fire bomb 1, explosive attack 1], path 2 [lethargic, tortun's trade, pillage] and stats to 13 DMG, 6 SPD, 2-4 RNG, 3 DEF, 50 HP (those of living grenadier). This way he's way more useful for FW with DB and zombie synergy.

More:

Spells

-Tortun cannon barrage: nora cost to 25-35. It needs deployed tortuns to work and it's random physical damage, it isn't near any other AoE spell.

-Eriluun's favor: It's not useful the way it's now

Equipment:

- Wildeye bracers: Changed to equipped champion gains mercenary and impatient, if it's a friendly champion it also loses ponderous and gains hostile instead of impatient. Factions from IS to IS/FS or IS/KF. Note: FS has more ponderous champions than KF, IS has the DMC. Mercenary is for both friends and foes.