Thoughts on Fautbreaker

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Axeraiser, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

I think Titans were pretty bad ass and with the exception of moog none of them see much play anymore. Perhaps there will be some changes to titans in the future and id like to get opinions on what direction you guys think the Faultbreaker should go.

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Leave it in the trashcan. You either tone it down and it becomes no Titan or we have issues like Zev/AA when you.make iy worth it's cost.

3. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

While I agree with Baskit's premise, I don't like the idea of the go-to fix for a rune to be "leave it shoeboxed because we can't fix it". For those who play League, it's similar to how Riot addresses Yorick: too much of a problem to balance properly, so they pretend like he doesn't exist. It's a lazy fix, quite unfitting of any serious game developer. The way I ideally imagine Faultbreaker is as a troop displacement unit, smashing apart tight formations and causing havoc among groups of enemies. Abilities such as Tectonic Pulse, Break the Line, Tremor, Crushing Charge, and Impact Strike all fit this theme and could be considered ideal candidates to add to Faultbreaker. Reduce his base stats a bit (-10 HP, -1 speed, -1 range should do) to drop his cost. Add Impact Strike to base, then remove Heavy Charger from U2. Add Tremor and Break the Line to U2 in their place. Lastly, Change his first upgrade line to Charge 3 and Crushing Charge. Making him less of a stat monster and more reliant on getting in close for disruption purposes makes him higher risk and higher reward, along with dropping his cost to ~85-95 nora; well worth it in the right situations.

Xzablaz likes this.
  4. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I kind of agree with baskit. it would be great to have him as a good champion but as it stands it seems that making a 100 nora unit worth its cost is causing huge problems in the game atm and until we get a way to solve this we should probably just leave it as a good champ but not worth it kind of thing

5. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Operating under the assumption that they will be changed regardless of whether or not you think they should, any suggestions for him ?

6. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

One of the difficulties in making really high cost units worthwhile is that low to moderate cost units frequently have the sort of abilities that should probably be exclusive to more expensive units. If you can get top notch abilities with a lower total investment, why pay more and assume the risk? As much as I'd like to see high cost units that are worth deploying, achieving it requires a serious examination of the caliber of abilities that lower cost units are offering.

themacca likes this.
  7. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Unless there is a Pox 2.0 or the failed revamp redone, 80+ nora cost units are not going to see play in this game anymore. Sad, but true.

Thbigchief likes this.
  8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Can you provide some examples?

9. Sokolov

Are you sure? If we went into game right now, and looked, would you bet money we wouldn't see 80+ nora units in play?

That said, it is pretty interesting how people complained and complained about high cost units that did everything, and now that those are gone, we have complaints that high cost units aren't worth a slot.

10. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

When did 80 nora become "expensive"....

11. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

When 60 nora units became so good

Baskitkase and Anima26 like this.
  12. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

I'll use Colossal as a random example, but bear in mind this could just as easily be Scale Armor or Resistance Physical or whatever when found on the lower end of the scale. Colossal champs are floating around in the mid 70s and sometimes upper 60s, usually with decent defense, high health, or other abilities to stretch their survivability even further. So a player can get pretty much all the survivability you can expect a champ to come equipped with by the time you hit the mid 70s. What does that leave 85 to 100 nora champs to offer besides the risk of putting you at a even larger nora deficit when a spell or maneuver kills or disables the champ? Likewise, if my lower 70s Surge champs are routinely hitting for 12-20, where are the theme's high cost units offering better combat performance? They don't exist and would need both Surge and Colossal if they did, maybe with Shielded on top.

But it's more a matter of performance scaling at various costs than of this or that ability (I should have said "the sort of capabilities"). Put simply: A player can find plenty of units with exceptional performance without ever sniffing 80 nora, making it it increasingly difficult to justify each additional nora. If the desired range of nora costs for all champs is 65 to 85 with most played champs being a neat 75, I suppose this isn't a problem. But if even the 85s aren't noticeably better than the 75s, the range continues to tighten...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  13. Sokolov

So I looked into this before, and I don't believe this to be true.

For example, check out the Skeezick Wrecker:

upload_2015-8-4_22-5-43.png

Under 60 nora, useful abilities.

But actually, he's WORSE than he used to be!

upload_2015-8-4_22-6-22.png

~

This is just one example, but is generally true. Some units did get better in the sense they lost a bunch of abilities that may not have been very useful and became more efficient. What happened post-revamp wasn't that cheap champs became better, but that, in general, units lost abilities and started paying more for stats, and this affected high nora units more than low nora units. Even before the revamp, we recognized, with the Titans, that high cost units are not going to be played unless they got discounts for obvious reasons I don't need to lay out here.

We can also look at something like Colossal Boa, which is considered pretty good right now:
    upload_2015-8-4_22-11-36.png

upload_2015-8-4_22-11-22.png

Clearly, pre-revamp Boa is superior, even at 5 more nora and even ignoring that Colossal was 50% reduction back then.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  14. Sokolov

So you would argue the problem isn't Colossal's cost, but the fact that some abilities favor being on cheaper champions due to efficiency gains?

It seems to me that this can be applied fairly generically to most abilities, leading to the idea that perhaps abilities in general should cost more on lower costed units.

And do you feel it is different now than pre-revamp?

15. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Yes. If you can get powerful abilities in cheap bundles, there is little an expensive package can do to sell itself.

Depends on the implementation. Paying more for the same because you have less is odd.
    Like 0 Defense, 34 HP champs that cost as much as 3 Defense, 55 HP champs odd.

The situation for high cost champs is similar to pre-revamp and there is still a lot of individual champs that need their configurations adjusted to be playable, but I do see the revamp and post-revamp adjustments as positive progress.

16. Sokolov

I mean, if we DON'T say that such abilities should cost more on cheap units, and that "powerful abilities in cheap bundles" is bad, then the only other way to resolve that systematically is to suggest that the aforementioned abilities are undercosted on ALL units.

17. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

I was thinking in terms of overcoming the aversion to high cost units by giving them exclusive access to certain abilities that either raise damage or survivability significantly above the norm in an efficient way (in other words, the abilities just wouldn't be placed in cheap configurations). However, I realize that's something that would require a game wide champ by champ examination, which is unrealistic. Scaling ability costs based on the unit's cost may be worth exploring to see if it works.

Tarth likes this.
  18. Tarth

Not to be rude, but how does this refute that cheap ( 60 nora units as an example) are better then expensive ( 80 nora as an example) units? All you showed was that they, like every rune, got "worse" after the revamp and even stated that they were hit less then the expensive champions for obvious reasons. The examples used being weaker then their pre-revamp versions doesn't negate the idea that comparatively the cheaper nora units do too much, or are a better value then the higher priced options specifically post revamp. Not to forget the price adjustments made after "equal out" the price ranges that lowered higher units prices with out really adjusting the lower ones up much.

This is a good idea. Another in line idea would be to limit ability numbers/ranks/types to price ranges effectively making, as an example, sub 70 nora units overtly weaker then the 80+ nora ones. A standard average price for an average unit should honestly be, imo, 75-85 with anything lower being much weaker, and higher being much stronger. A 90-100+ nora champ should need 2-3+ champs/runes to take out, but that also brings up how easy it is to remove champions and peoples hatred for sturdy/defensive based play.

edit: What if stats were not really a variable for champions? If each race had a set stat line with minor variations for the same or similar base price. It would, possibly, help balance prices so you didnt have the issue of low stats+ powerful abilities being to cheap. Just an idea to standardize prices in and out of factions. All Boghoppers are set with XYZ stats and have a base price of whatever nora cost before abilities even come into it. Theoretically you could also then price abilities to have faction variable prices ( FS has cheaper leap for example, but more expensive Tough) to play around with but might be to complex.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  19. Sokolov

I was responding to the post that said "60 nora became so good." They didn't. They got worse - just like pretty much all runes. We agree on this.

From the post you quoted:

So we are saying the same thing. I was just clarifying that 60 nora units actually do less now than they used to - and the problem isn't with the lower priced units doing too much (because honestly most of them do very little in reality other than be stat bags), but the higher priced units not doing enough.

20. Tarth

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. It was just odd seeing as how the statement that led to your post was that 60 nora units became so good. I guess I let it imply that since the expensive champs do too little compared to the cheaper ones, that they did too much.