Thoughts on trashtalking?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agirgis1, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

If I had to guess I'd say that it's because middle school is the place where bullies start really trying to belittle others (at least in the area where I grew up) which happens to coincide with puberty. Maybe freshly pubescent insecure bullies need to shove their insecurities about sexuality onto those they belittle (which if my guidance counselor was right is why bullies bully, but hey, they could've totally been full of it). That's my best guess.

Another possible explanation is that of the marginalized groups, sexuality is the only one that can apply to anyone regardless of appearance or background. As opposed to ethnicity (which people can latch onto as a visual thing), sexuality can be thrown at people arbitrarily. In contrast, if you call a white kid the N word it makes absolutely no sense.

As for why that extends to the internet? Well, it's the insult of choice for children and the Id seems to thrive on the internet.

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I love LCK's sketches

man, he's so on point

3. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

I don't care what color you are. I don't care who you get frisky with. I don't care about your gender. Or if you own a Honda.

In my experience, most of the "gay haters" or "racists", or "mysoginists" are dirtbags to 10,000 different groups of people. I don't think of myself as a "hetero gamer" or a "white dad" or a "male worker". Just do your thing, live your life, and follow the golden rule. Karma is a beautiful thing, but we often gots to be patient. Your group is not any more special than any other group. Life is better when we work together, instead of constantly focusing on the negative and pointing out every difference.

GabrielQ likes this.
  4. Authyrtyr

True dat.
    I believe Lewis Black has a refreshing rant on this particular topic involving Rick Santorum (whom the gay community has trolled in the most amusing of fashions).
    On one hand I love telling people about the wonderful connections that the internet enables and point out how it's allowed many middle eastern countries to rise against oppression etcetera etcetera. It is difficult however to counter the arguments involving...um...I'll call them 12 year olds mistakenly given internet access.

5. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

pretty sure whoever trashtalked me after every game they lost (have several names on the top of my head who 100% always trashtalk when they lose), I'd say:

Him: "*insert name of deck theme/mechanics* OP gg"
    Me: "gg :p"
    Him: "*insert aggressive antagonistic words*"
    Me: *leaves the game* and whispers him "gg :)"

that in itself feels so good. so if he/she trashtalks u that means u just won/got some advantage over him/her. If so, you now have the upper hand to unleash the ultimate trashtalking mechanics of all time:

/w *NAME OF PLAYER* GG mate :)

and he'll have a very very bad day.

6. Authyrtyr

That's one thing, if you've got the upper hand and they're just trying to make themselves feel better by claiming that your deck is OP, whatever. My problem would be with when I lose a game (as often happened when I first started) and I get trash talk back from the winner.

Also obviously is the problem of trash talk getting out of hand and becoming offensive. We need to have at least moderately thick skins (I've been banned for calling someone a prick before...) but a little perspective is important. I don't know, internet community dynamics for these things elude me, personally I'm of the opinion that in a competitive setting the appropriate attitude is: start with "gl hf" and end with "good game".

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Uh, these are gameforums meant to have fun and relax on. If you don't like the one-liners that make me laugh just put me on ignore, simple as that.

I don't like your walls of text because I can't be bothered to read them, to each his own.

8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

This thread is pure fail.

9. DarkJello

Pedeguerra:

Because of the holier-than-thou-only-we-are-special peeps? Quiero aprender mas de tu filosofia. ;)

BurnPyro:

Perchance "ignore" FTW? I just added my 3rd, and forums are a MUCH better place without the Debbie Downers drumming up drama.

10. Authyrtyr

Oh so that was the problem, forming complete thoughts and spelling out words. Onomatopoeia. That's right.

11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I joined the Internet to find polite people.

RedScarlet likes this.
  12. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Sorry Jellos, didnt quite grasp your question.

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I love the trash talk that comes out of no where. Like you guys are like "Yo whaddup, gl/hf bro" and then outcomes the "*(&@#!^@#!^@&".

14. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

97% of trashtalk I ignore.
    1% I add the player to my Ignore list.
    1% I reply to with a sarcastic comment.
    1% I screenshot and report the player and add to my ignore list.

15. HardyGames32

HardyGames32 I need me some PIE!

I know plenty of gay gamers who are offended by this, and truly we should be starting something to get these terms banned.

16. DarkJello

Anyone who wants to go through life offended, will find gazillions of valid reasons.

The interwebz ranges from top shelf to bottom of the gene pool.

Warfoot:

Attempted to clarify why you thought it was fail. Share your philosophy.

Baskitkase likes this.
  17. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Louis C.K. is one of my favorite comedians

18. KingJad

I've never understood the point in ignoring ppl lots of ppl can babble in most of their post like at least half the ppl in here but sometimes ppl have things worth taking in and some of these things you don't want to miss. Besides if your having a bad day its nice to have a person you know who is absolutely wrong in everything he talks about and that you can come home and correct him or at least get a good laugh

19. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

I personally find trash to be rather distasteful and somewhat juvenile.

I have rarely, if ever, instigated trash talking in or after a match, and when someone initiates some trash talk towards me I will rarely respond, but when I do it tends to be rather tame and somewhat polite reciprocation.

I understand that some folks enjoy trash talking, which is fine, but I don't particularly enjoy it, but that's just me.

20. KingJad

I don't have a problem with trash talking if you win and someone feels the need to devalue your win its there decision and it could easily be ignored by not using the chat (considering its only you 2 you shouldnt really care) I myself trash talk when confronted with a player that uses trolls and stacks all the bs defensive runes IS has (tactical manual and ToV) and smashes everything