Time to get that edumacation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nepyonisdead, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

@Vote Kanye 2020 have you tried Terry Pratchett? discworld books have a pretty funny writing style,

I really liked the southern reach trilogy I hope the movie will be okay, Trailer for annihilation is out and seems to try and capture the vibe at least, the first book and parts of the second and third felt like roadside picnic, which is itself a slower read but worth it.

I knocked through ready player one in 3 days, really enjoyable. movie probably won't be as good.

Neal Asher also reads very easily, if you enjoy space opera.

I read day of the triffids in English in middle school and it is something I still remember fondly.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    MaruXV and Alakhami like this.
  2. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

Also it goes without saying that Dan Brown is one of my favourite writers, his style for me is the best way to tell a story even if its fiction. The way he takes hard facts and popular beliefs and ideas and makes his own story around them in a way that makes historian actually question and scrutinise his work is honestly phenomenal. The da vinci code and Angels and demons being probably his best 2 published books

3. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

Of course, no book can even begin to compare itself to Rick and Morty. To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

davre, Alakhami, SPiEkY and 3 others like this.
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

there is a genre of peole trying to find the worst book on youtube

5. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Meh, he's basically a mass culture ersatz of Umberto Eco. He literally copypasted his style and removed all the intellectual shenanigans but kept the cultural game with meanings(obviously on a lower level), thus made it more accessible for the less educated and yet managed to make them feel as if they've somehow grasped the classics without really much effort, which in itself is a poorly made illusion, but hey, it works, just like Paulo Coelho works in the role of a simplified Borges. Truly, postmodernism at its lowest.

6. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

Only book you need to read is The Art of War and Autobiography go Gandhi

Alakhami likes this.
  7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

@Woffleet I Didn't know Gandhi wrote an art of war book.

Woffleet, SPiEkY, MaruXV and 2 others like this.
  8. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

" Hit their punches with your face " i think its called^_^

Geressen and nepyonisdead like this.
  9. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

btw , let me suggest some books:

- "starship" saga by m.resnick. Good old epic SCIFI, not too complex and very nice to read.
    - "Decameron" by Boccaccio. Some old dirty novels ^_^
    - " Dune " by Herbert . Just read it. Star wars wouldnt have existed without this book.
    -"Stranger in a strange land" by Heinlein if you want to open your mind a bit.
    -" Valis" by ****, if you want to firk up your mind.
    -" The selfish gene" by Dawkins . very interesting
    -" Principia Discordia" just because God doesn't exist, but in case she's a woman.
    -" an appeal to the young" by Kropotkin, you are young, you should read it. Old but deep. https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/petr-kropotkin-an-appeal-to-the-young

Alakhami, Geressen and nepyonisdead like this.
  10. nepyonisdead

I was expecting more books from the renaissance xD and at least one or two books on how to make good pizzas <3

11. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

well go for

"divine comedy", dante alighieri (you should have heard of it)
    "Morgante", by L.Pulci , that is a really nice epic poem a little different from usual.
    you could enjoy also some older stuff like " the Golden Ass " by Apuleio.

Nothing about pizzas, sorry^_^

nepyonisdead likes this.
  12. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Funnily enough, I just bought a novel by him. In Spanish, and my Spanish is terrible.

But I am in the amazon jungle right now and am faced with four days on a boat without any internet or any English language books. I will report back on if I come out with a new mastery of the language.

MaruXV likes this.
  13. Jbafofi

Jbafofi The King of Potatoes

I don't read anywhere near as much as I should but thought Catch-22 was great stuff

14. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

This one, right?

[​IMG]

Geressen likes this.
  15. Alakhami

Gargantua and Pantagruel is an all time classic. Ship of Fools ain't too bad either, when I read it I felt like I was reading a rap battle monologue.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  16. Alakhami

Wow, what brought you there? Are you on an ayahuasca journey? You should've got yourself some Karlos Kastaneda

17. nepyonisdead

You know ... i know I am not the most literate man here but I am pretty sure half the words you guys are saying are made up xD

18. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

No, I'm just traveling South America, on the columbian/Brazil border, just about to head into the jungle for a week, then the slow boat down river. I should have stocked up on books, but now the choice is limited.

19. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

come on, don't be so girbrlish

nepyonisdead likes this.
  20. Alakhami

Are you travelling without any clear purpose, just for the sake of travelling? You should take some photos/videos and post 'em in off topic somewhere.