Tolerance and Intolerance.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ohmin, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

this is exactly the opposite advice I would give farms.

DarkJello and Dagda like this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i don't view this specific headline as oppression. discrimination, sure, but unless there's a part of this story i'm not aware of, that's as far as i'd take it (including, again, general shittiness).

the curious thing about the US is that, as you see the third world, it's more like less than half of it is in that overall range. maybe less than a third, in terms of population. the problem for you, i think, is that those parts are equally or perhaps in some ways over-represented at a national level, which heavily influences the nation's politics and discourse.

also worth noting, i think many of the original religious pilgrims fleeing persecution in europe were fleeing post reformation, perhaps even post 30 years war. such pilgrims would have been fleeing after religious peace was established, likely due to beliefs that took things a few steps further. take that and add a few decades (centuries?) of isolationism and fear or mistrust of european nations and you get close to modern day without changing those beliefs too drastically.

3. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

In many of these cases the bakery owners had zero problem with all interactions, except for the wedding.

As far as I can tell, some people think the top problem facing gays in the world right now is pizza and cake rights. What is the penalty for a Muslim that is gay?

SPiEkY likes this.
  4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

should civilized countries force people to violate their religious beliefs?

again, the baker didn't refuse so sell them something because they were gay. he didn't hang a sign saying no gays allowed. what he did was refuse to participate in their wedding. should the gay couple be able to walk into any church they choose and expect the priest to perform the ceremony?

should a doctor who believes that abortion is murder be forced to perform one?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

ok so in Astamirs civilized society doctors are forced to perform abortions against their will and priest are forced to marry anyone who asks them.

noted

DarkJello likes this.
  6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'm sorry, I must have missed it, did you?

All of a sudden facts matter, but when we're talking climate change facts don't really matter cause all scientist could just be wrong and we don't REALLY have to believe all of it, right.

The usual, it matters when I like it.

Astamir likes this.
  7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I think we just discovered a millenia old plot to try and make rival farmers have inbred stock and crops more susceptible to droughts and infections.

NevrGonaGivUup likes this.
  8. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Climate change seems less and less real every time Trump asks for a list of people supporting it and people refuse, Bane Shift I believe in climate change but it seems more and more like a scam after seeing the $$$ that's poured into it every year and very little too show other than the ice is melting. Firk you could pay a hobo to tell me the ice is melting. As the president elect why not just give him the names and he can have a sit down talk and they can explain it to Trump. Them not giving the list, which he will get eventually anyways just makes it look like he is indeed right and it is all a scam.

Facts have never mattered for any side, do you not recognize the world we live in ? A civilized society will gladly sit and debate a topic, look back threw every page on these forums and you will quickly realize civility went out the window the day the internet was invented.

9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the reason the names haven't been given is more, as i understand it, because it sounds like he's trying to compile a list of people whose jobs he'll cancel immediately upon taking office. in that light, the agencies are protecting their own for as long as they can (pretty sure if the president asks them something they have to hand it over, but til trump is president that won't apply)

10. super71

Yeah but by not giving him the list, when he gets in office he can just close the whole damn department it's ridiculous they denied him the names. This is the man that might become the next president, to show that amount of disrespect to your possible new leader opens the door to other countries and leaders acting the same unless Trump handles it quickly, which he will definitely do now because of that stupidity.

Either way 28 billion dollars is a lot of money when they really have little to show for it other than what we have known for decades now.

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i don't know that it's in his presidential powers or mandate personally push to shut down that department, though i'd be surprised if he had much pushback from congress

12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

to and too are different things, here is the spread of waspspider over time
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

here is a picture of a wasp spider because Firk the arachnophobic.

[​IMG]

it did that using a +0.5 degree celcius average upward deviation in temperatures.

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Dunno, I thought we had noticed an increase in extreme weather, animal migration, extinction of species, coral reef dying among others.

Geressen likes this.
  14. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

natural progression mixed with the end of days.

i'm not a good christian so the second is more of an issue, but i'm sure our ever-loving god-fearing compatriots will be in good hands

BurnPyro likes this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

are you telling me this wouldn't have happened if I told that lady that asked me if I knew the way that I was atheist?

16. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Yes, very big difference. In fact, the bakers had served the gay couple several times before and had no problem with it, it was that they didn't want to help with the wedding because they didn't agree with it. It would be like asking a gay baker to bake a cake for an anti-gay event.

DarkJello likes this.
  17. super71

Extinction of species has less to do with global warming and more to do with the fact that mankind is taking all the territory and playing god while exterminating anything and everything for capital gain. Coral reef dying is because again mankind is drilling under the ocean and depleting it of all it's resources. All of this can be attributed to mankind doing things they shouldn't be doing not global warming, at least that's the perspective most realistic people take. Mankind testing nuclear bombs everywhere also doesn't help. Sure the ice caps have dropped a few degrees and we have random weather changes but this has happened all throughout history if you do your research.

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Allow me to translate

One is a celebration of love that has no impact whatsoever on the bakers life, the other is a party that hates the person who is supposed to make the cake.

In essence, you're saying that an event designed to despise the core of that person is just as offensive as an event where two people celebrate their love, but you don't find that those two people, not even the people personally, just who they are, shouldn't do that because it offends you based on a book written some two thousand years ago.

19. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

The reason for the event doesn't matter, that's why I chose something so absurd.

The point is that you shouldn't be forced to participate/support in something that you don't support or want to participate in. Heck, it could be as simple as just not liking the person that's asking you, you shouldn't need much of a reason.

DarkJello likes this.
  20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

honestly,
    People should be starting to refuse service to people who are utter morons.

Society would be better off without you