troll'n

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by OriginalG1, Jul 28, 2016.

1. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

To me rock defiance bg's are the most op theme outside of dwarf to me. They do have longer build up time compared to dwarf but man are they discouraging to fight against!
    upload_2016-7-28_3-16-44.png
    This was just a random test with some stuff. Rock forger gets the slow guys moving with vitalize, and sealer basically creates free relics to trigger holy light or knock back targets for rockslinger. Medal of valor makes the hp/damage generation uber. I have divinities touch and blink in there because if you use both you have a good chance of winning the game in my experience, but I am open to dropping them to get more themed focused bg. I am not talking out my tunnel earth 3 Earth Elemental. Other then that, I await your feed back!

aseryen likes this.
  2. OriginalG1

17 view no feed back. cool story guys.

3. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

rock defiance is weak against big maps that force your guys to spread out, in my experience.

on choke-point maps where you can bunch up, they can be OP

4. OriginalG1

thank you for the feed back newsbuff, any comments on synergy build or upgrades?

5. OriginalG1

i bumped it up to two gaviton's because the knock back is that easy.

6. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Needs more rock collection

7. OriginalG1

okay sure thing super71, you know magnificent has that ability, btw sealer trolls on elemental plateau

super71 likes this.
  8. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I know he does but running some passive champs and throwing a rock collection on for a surprise 20 damage is real nice or heck even if you just need 20 damage.

OriginalG1 likes this.
  9. OriginalG1

brand battle groups look really solid. You have to be a true IS fan to have all the brand runes though.

10. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I posted my Grintmaw BG in the current Bgs thread

OriginalG1 likes this.
  11. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

I have lots to say on this theme although I was waiting for the Expansion to make a FF thread and then later a Split thread. This is something that will be ongoing though and how I like to play them.

As of right now, most Trolls/Rock Defiance units can be grabbed as x1 and then replace the ones you don't want and make the ones you do like x2, from there the general IS spell/relic/equip kit to fill out whatever it is that you might have problems with. FF I always grab Guard Tower as there is no true way of getting Detection. Running Courier Squire though is a great alternative and feeds the theme very well.

There's so many ways to start on Splits, other factions Weaken Spells units are more impressive imo although a Barb module can definitely be worked in.

One of these days, Trolls will get a Hero. I will be 100% ok with it being 2x2 but one of these days.

12. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Guard tower over unobstructed view?

13. aseryen

I find in FF x2 Singers is a good choice, having the extra Relic to boost them is nice too. Heartstone boost them but I like to have it further back usually out of range from the Singers. Although FF Unobstructed View is a good pick since you have the extra slots. I'm used to splits and having limited rune pickings.

14. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I don't think i have deployed Singer yet so I might drop him. He just doesn't seem worth the high nora price.

15. aseryen

Ive learned to rely on just one Hymn even though I will have enough Trolls boosting the effect to make x2 Hymn worth the slot. I can't always expect my enemy's counter and relying too heavily on a spell like Hymn (which is really the only spell specifically worded for Trolls) is a huge red flag for your opponent. Not to say every deck has some type of Refute or rune negation ability worked into their deck it's just that on those match ups where a FS player has Backfire Boon they will hold off for when they think a hymn is going to be played.

That being said I have been playing Bane Blast and Stasis Field in FF and removing a Troll or two. This makes Each Troll more worth their value as I may only have one and having it deployed would really help. I try to avoid game after game of having the same runes deployed. Being more selective of which Troll I have in my bg lets me add other modules I think the theme as a whole is lacking. I play with and without a Stonearm Sash since I usually have enough slots to fill. Valor runes are great for the theme as with Tactical Manual.

I think the slower build up in Trolls is relying too heavily on Trolls to boost Hymn or Trolls to proc Rock Defiance. I think Trolls allow for a more objective oriented playstyle and replacing a Troll for another rune that helps you complete your objective is easy to find in FF. Splits are a different story.

Not every theme should have a rune tailored to it specifically and I think Sealer is a good rune that works with the relic meta out right now while also giving Shaman a reason to pick up Magic Eater. The theme has nothing auto imo and FF has access to a lot of powerful runes so grabbing only one Troll and a spell/relic/equip that suits your play is better than grabbing two of each Troll.

16. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Man, idk if i'm high or what but you type a lot.

17. OriginalG1

upload_2016-8-7_17-5-41.png
    took some of your build @Cydna
    liking this

18. aseryen

Trolls are my main theme and I split a lot so I think I just have a lot of scenarios going through my head that trying to type them out can get pretty lengthy.

19. OriginalG1

What do you like to spilt them with? SP with some whirling quarries would be good I bet. Will you post a bg?

20. aseryen

upload_2016-8-7_15-5-55.png

I haven't played much the past few expansions so I grabbed a few of those runes that I've had my eye on. I'll let you guys ask the questions before I go into anything on this one.

upload_2016-8-7_15-12-28.png

I played @Sokolov with this one and saw Ravish nerfed soon after, not sure if I had anything to do with it since it wasn't anything new, however Bouncer did lose Strength of Body around that time. This is a much older deck, I try to avoid duplicates in my battlegroups nowadays. I also think there has been a change to Mindflayer(equip) or perhaps the Queen that I may not like, not sure. I ran this bg far too much that I just don't like its composition anymore.

upload_2016-8-7_15-18-15.png

I've been playing this when not grinding the achievements. Mystic Atelier is a new add since Clone Matter works with allied equips on enemy champions. It's going to be removed but for now I like the feel of it.

OriginalG1 likes this.