Trump: Dawn of the 3rd Party

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Also, in general, as someone who has handled backup systems in the past - archiving/backup work of these kinds of sprawling, multi-network systems is a PITA, especially since they have to be up and running basically all the time and you are constantly playing catchup. I can't imagine doing this kind of work for something like this - I'd go crazy :D

(Also, I understand that a second, off-internet system is used for circulating classified documents.)

DarkJello likes this.
  2. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

If Donald Trump is nothing else, he’s an American brand. The Trump name adorns luxury condominiums, hotels and golf courses around the world; it has sold a TV show, millions of books, a line of cologne and even, briefly, an airline.

And that brand, according to new data published here in Politico Magazine for the first time, is taking a major hit in the wake of his presidential campaign.

In categories such as “prestigious,” “upper class” and “glamorous” the Trump name has plummeted among high-income consumers. Within the same group, it is also losing its connection with the terms “leader,” “dynamic” and “innovative”—quite a blow for a man who criticizes others for being “low energy” and considers himself an industry trailblazer. The brand has been a survey subject for BAV Consulting’s regular surveys for over a decade and has never before experienced such a precipitous drop in reputation. It’s the kind of change that usually follows a big corporate scandal, like a product recall or financial misconduct. But in Trump’s case it’s a man’s personality that is in play.

Donald Trump, as a 69-year-old whose fortune is counted in the billions, will very likely remain wealthy and comfortable—a success as he defines it—for the rest of his days. But those like his children who may have counted on the brand to sustain them further into the future cannot be so certain.

Then again, they could move into the part of the consumer market where no real damage has been done. Perhaps a Trump brand of smokes, or maybe canned meat?

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-brand-business-213515#ixzz3x5z7rvdG

3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

trump spam?

sounds familiar (teehee)

BurnPyro and DarkJello like this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I think he's rather right leaning, but with leftish ideas.

5. DarkJello

Shifting Sands in Iowa

January 13, 2016

The pattern is consistent. In the DMR/Bloomberg poll, Cruz is down 6 points from December, holding on to a statistically insignificant lead of 3 points. Trump leads in three other recently released polls, again within the margin of error. In other words, the race is effectively tied. Some Republicans (15 percent) — but not a significant percentage according to DMR/Bloomberg — care about the citizenship issue. Many more care about his national security views, and it is there where Trump, and to a greater extent Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), has ground to plow on Cruz’s opposition to metadata-gathering, vote against the defense authorization bill during wartime and lack of a coherent plan for defeating the Islamic State. (Like Hillary Clinton, Cruz is telling the fiction that we can do this without an increased U.S. presence.)

In sum, there is a dogfight for first, with two critical debates coming up. The DMR/Bloomberg poll tells us that national security is clearly the top issue (79 percent of the GOP respondents said it was the most important). Moreover, a plurality (38 percent) consider how the candidates respond to events in the United States and internationally to be the most important in deciding their vote (closely followed by debate performance, at 36 percent). That suggests the race turns on candidate performance, including their appearance in the next two debates. In high-stakes elections, it usually does.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...hifting-sands-in-iowa/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_popns

6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

That's merely the result of years of bad posture.

BurnPyro, Geressen and DarkJello like this.
  7. DarkJello

January 14, 2016

Republican front-runner Donald Trump captures 45% of the GOP vote in a three way race with Sens. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, the latest sign that party voters are ready to accept the outspoken real estate developer as their 2016 nominee.

A new YouGov.com poll finds that in the three-way race, a potential situation after the first several primaries, Trump's support from those backing other candidates surges equally with Cruz and Rubio.

And the reason, according to the new survey? Republicans appear more interested in having a "strong" and "bold" leader than a "true conservative."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...strong-bold-over-conservative/article/2580352

8. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Politico article by Matthew McWilliams:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533

Summary: "Trump's campaign is an insurgency by authoritarians, and all Trump supporters are inclined towards authoritarianism. This must be stopped, and really more studies about authoritarianism should be done in general."

(McWilliams is currently writing a dissertation on authoritarianism on his path to get a PH.D in political science, and is the founder of McWilliams Sanders [no relation I'm aware of], a "progressive political communications" firm.)

It is unclear to me if McWilliams has made similar comments about past Presidential candidates, especially those that won, in the past 16 years or so, or other current candidates. (But I doubt it.)

I will, however, state that I agree more people should be conscientious of authoritarian methodologies within such candidates, and that more focus on looking as such in a general sense would probably be a good thing.

DarkJello likes this.
  9. DarkJello

Become a thought criminal this year. U won't regret it. :cool:

The following contains many 100s of quotes, and plenty of fun:

So much of the win. Pros? Cons? Don't be shy. ;)

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Sarah Palin supports Trump 2016.

Who else is not suprised that Palin is trying to get back in there?

also giggled

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    mw24 and Saandro like this.
  11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Anyone remember the Garbage Pail Kids? Courtesy of Topps.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

DarkJello likes this.
  12. DarkJello

January 21, 2016

Here's the bottom line.

No non-incumbent has won both the GOP's Iowa caucus and the New Hampshire primary since the dawn of the modern primary system. Trump has a real shot to be the first. And no recent candidate has overcome the kind of deficit most of the other candidates face in both national and state-by-state numbers at this late date, against a candidate with as strong and stable numbers as Trump has, and gone on to win.

If Trump wins both Iowa and New Hampshire, and then goes on to win South Carolina and Nevada — as he is favored to do — he could very conceivably win every contest, or at worst lose a favored son state or two like Cruz's Texas. Nobody has run the table like that — not Nixon in 1968, nor Reagan in 1980, nor Bush in 2000.

And if he loses Iowa to Cruz, and wins New Hampshire decisively, there's little historical reason to believe that Cruz has a better chance at the nomination than Trump does, much less that anybody else has a better shot than either.

A Trump nomination would be unprecedented. But an upset victory by any of his opponents would, in many ways, be even more so.

http://theweek.com/articles/600335/donald-trump-poised-strongest-primary-performance-modern-history

13. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

DarkJello likes this.
  14. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

Of course if Trump the republican nomination it won't be an issue for him.

The question would become will any of the other candidates decide to bolt and run as a 3rd party? I doubt it because of the 'sore loser' laws that some states have. Besides all have pledged to support the winner. If someone reneges on that pledge, their credibility would be zero.

15. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

neither trump nor cruz can win a general election, assuming the democrats dont nominate sanders.

16. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

trump isnt dumb(he's most likely extremely smart even tho his parents were already rich and made his life much easier), he is just rich and probably doesnt care about the average american. he is running for his own personal reasons and if he was in office hed probably use the presidency as a way to help his friends and to help his business interest. People are stupid, you would think they would look back at the robber barons and see what happens when you give the super rich too much power, the average persons stupidity is one of the major downsides of democracy. I dont think most republicans are rich yet thats who the parties policies favor.(democrats have issues too but im not talking about them atm) sarah palin might be dumb but probably not, the people who vote for her are a different story.

billionaires already have a ton of power in this country, why the heck would you vote one in to the white house?!? facepalm*

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    badgerale likes this.
  17. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

18. DarkJello

January 21, 2016

Conservative intellectuals have become convinced that Mr. Trump, with his message of nationalist-infused populism, poses a dire threat to conservatism, and released a manifesto online Thursday night to try to stop him.

However, the cadre of Republican lobbyists, operatives and elected officials based in Washington is much more unnerved by Mr. Cruz, a go-it-alone, hard-right crusader who campaigns against the political establishment and could curtail their influence and access, building his own Republican machine to essentially replace them.

The division illuminates much about modern Republicanism and the surprising bedfellows brought about when an emerging political force begins to imperil entrenched power.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/2...tml?_r=0&referer=http://www.drudgereport.com/

19. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Might not mean much since she's been sliding in the polls in general, but Trump has been ahead of the lead Democratic nominees (Hilary mostly) in several polls. For better or worse, he is a contender and not just in the Primaries.

Not sure about Cruz though that seems rather unlikely at present on both ends.

But who knows, we've got several more months of campaigning to slog through.

DarkJello likes this.
  20. DarkJello

Bernie vs Trump. U heard it here first.