Trump Transition: "Interesting Times"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

westerns and cold war posturing

Geressen likes this.
  2. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

You just don't give a hoot do you.

DarkJello and Geressen like this.
  3. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

DarkJello likes this.
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

seems to me that that stuff is written to justify the Electoral college.

they called the electoral college "True genius" when there are so many better systems out there.

5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I agree it was likely written to justify the EC.

I mostly found it because of the data rather than the editorializing.

Geressen and SPiEkY like this.
  6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I did not read that far into it because I recognized it as founding father worship before that part. and decided to post that find and trust you to be acurate on the numbers.

7. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

In recent years, California has been turning into what amounts to a one-party state. Between 2008 and 2016, the number of Californian's who registered as Democrats climbed by 1.1 million, while the number of registered Republicans dropped by almost 400,000.

What's more, many Republicans in the state had nobody to vote for in November.

There were two Democrats — and zero Republicans — running to replace Sen. Barbara Boxer. There were no Republicans on the ballot for House seats in nine of California's congressional districts.

At the state level, six districts had no Republicans running for the state senate, and 16 districts had no Republicans running for state assembly seats.

Plus, since Republicans knew Clinton was going to win the state — and its entire 55 electoral votes — casting a ballot for Trump was virtually meaningless, since no matter what her margin of victory, Clinton was getting all 55 votes.

I know many independents and righties that have fled California like the plague, during the last 10-15 years. Sad, cause I was born in Cali. Aint never moving back.

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

this is why all of your states need to divide electors in proportion to their populations vote.

the movement some states have to start giving their electors to the candidate who wins the national popular vote instead of their own majority is a stopgap but it would also improve peoples involvement in politics so that these votes would not have been wasted.

9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Most states are one party states for the most part:

[​IMG]

So it isn't really a California thing. And many, many run unopposed in most local elections and a significant portion of seats are always "safe" for their party:

It's really just the expected result of the various concerns I have with the US elections system:
    • EC/Presidential Election stealing all the focus/attention from local elections
    • Gerrymandering
    • First Past the Post
    • All the things that make it trend toward a 2 Party System
    • etc.
    But it's also just simple demographics. Places with higher population density and urbanization tends to be more liberal so it's no surprise a place like Cali would be more liberal, and using that as some kind of indictment seems weird.

Geressen likes this.
  10. Sokolov

Yep, disenfranchising voters is one of the worst aspects of the EC. Sad.

Geressen likes this.
  11. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Which is why you should all support my 999 pla- EC districting idea... or something.

Make voting great again! Hope and Votes! I'm with Voter! Feel the Vote! (I forget everyone else' which may give people an idea of how much of an impression McCain and Romney have made on me in the past)

;)

DarkJello, SPiEkY and Geressen like this.
  12. Sokolov

As I have often said, if someone ran on election process reform, I'd be so on that bandwagon.

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

im guessing you live in California. wonder if youd be so gung ho on doing away with the EC if you lived in North Dakota.

DarkJello likes this.
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

why are californians less important than dakotans and why does the republican minority of california not deserve to have their votes count?

I am asking because I am not american so I do not know the difference between californians and dakotans.

15. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

your concern for California republicans is touching. some states allocate their electoral votes proportionally. but that's for the state to decide. I don't have a problem with that. somehow I dont think dems would be on board with this though.

16. DarkJello

The votes of the vast majority of Republicans in California do count. Trump won. It is the Dems that feel that their vote does not count. It can again, in 8 years.

By then, how many 100s of thousands more righties and independents will they have driven out of the state with high taxation and bossy laws? Answer: A metric crap-ton.

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

no they did not, they contributed 0 EC votes to Trump.

18. DarkJello

Trump won. You are missing the point. Trump won. None of those Repubs are complaining because... wait for it... Trump won. Only losing side is upset.

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

just because a plane fell on your neighbours house and not yours does not mean you can ignore the falling plane problem.

[this post was sponsored by the International Civil Aviation Organization and local national aviation safety agencies.]

I am not ignoring the problem and the plane fell on another continent.

NevrGonaGivUup likes this.
  20. DarkJello

While Trump is crazy busy with transition action, Mississippi authorities zeroed in on some justice.

Arrest made in ‘Vote Trump’ burning of Mississippi black church

December 21st, 2016

Mississippi Department of Public Safety spokesman Warren Strain says Andrew McClinton of Leland, Mississippi, who is African-American, is charged with first-degree arson of a place of worship.

http://wreg.com/2016/12/21/mississi...merican-church-spray-painted-with-vote-trump/

A lot of the "Trump" crimes are turning out to be hoaxes. Bizarre. Enjoy the few seconds of infamy, I guess.

On a more relevant front, I just found this link to the Trump Transition Team.

https://greatagain.gov/