Trump's pick for Education Secretary is the new Sarah Palin

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Jan 19, 2017.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Since we're training the swamp and getting the best people in to win again, because we don't win again, tremendous. Enjoy watching quality content of the woman who is gonna be in charge of the worst education system in first world countries, who should be looking into making college a more accessible service for everyone.

Bernie Sanders asks her some tough questions, she goes full Sarah Palin and has no idea what to do.

Thinks we might as well keep guns in schools, because.... bears might attack... based on a fake anecdote.

Quality comedy brought to you by "the best of the best who will make America great again". You guys better pray she doesn't make it though, your education levels average are gonna drop even lower compared to the rest of the modern nations. Make America great again!

Tweek516, TeaNinja and Geressen like this.
  2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Oh no, what happened to the old Sarah Palin?

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Too dumb to function, back to her reality show. Apparently looks can make you governor, Vice president is the breaking point.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

A number of the confirmation hearings has been... interesting. For example, the one for Health/Human Services didn't seem to know much about the state of Healthcare, and when asked about Trump's position on Medicare/Social Security actually said something along the lines of, "I haven't spoken to Trump about that." Either he is lying (which is bad), or it's true... which is also bad because how the heck can he NOT know what Trump's position is regarding the stuff he is going to be in charge of?! He also said he'd have "look up the statistics" when asked about drug prices. Er... maybe you should do your homework BEFORE your interview?

This lady's was the worse one probably tho, she doesn't even seem to understand the current laws in place, nor does she seem to even understand the challenges educators faced to the point of not even understanding the questions they were asking her. The only thing we can say for sure that she knows is that she doesn't like public schools. Beyond that, it seems like everything about education is new to her.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Tweek516, Ohmin and BurnPyro like this.
  5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Uh, that's not even the worst. That guy on Health/Human services has been caught buying stock of companies that would then *coincidentally* directly benefit from legislation he introduces on several occasions. Guy is estimated to have made up to 300k like this. Not corrupt though. Personal corruption is not a thing for Trump. Don't even know why this guy isn't put on trial for this.

See the guy for defense who has ties with and seats in councils of defense contractors that he just failed to mention beforehand? Was quality too. It's like Trump managed to find all the people who are even worse than the usual flock.

On average they seemed to have been chosen for influence/money and are not knowledgeable in their field at all.
    It's a right joke, I stopped playing games for a bit just to watch these jokers.

6. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

It's not corruption, it's good business

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

It was in one of the other threads:

"It doesn't count if you do it from a position of power and wealth!"

What corruption?

9. Sokolov

I just mean their answers and fit for the position - obviously there is a lot of "pay to play" type of stuff going on here.

10. Sokolov

So apparently DeVos' brother, Erik Prince, is the founder of the mercenary firm Blackwater, and is on record as saying America needs to reintroduce the Phoenix Program, a CIA assassination program, to fight terrorism. While not officially part of Trump's cabinet picks, being her brother, and also an associate of Steve Bannon, it's likely that Erik's ideas will find their way to Trump.

So how do the anti-war anti-drone Conservatives feel about that one, I wonder?

nepyonisdead likes this.
  11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Also not counting Bolton who might be the most hawkish guy in America.

Oh, did you see the secretary of labor pick? I heard picking someone who is in the fast food bizz and doesn't believe in labor, but wants to go to full automation is a (make America) GREAT (again) pick.

Geressen likes this.
  12. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Every empire on this earth has fallen. Perhaps it is something that is bound to happen.

Geressen likes this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

what about the european empires, some of those just receded. not really a collapse or a fall.

14. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the greatest struggle older empires faced was in the administration of the lands they continued to accrue.

think of it like... i think it's the peter principle. whichever one that says people get promoted one step above where their actual competence level is. in theory, empires should have gone to about that point (in terms of administration) and stopped. in practice, empires went to that point and didn't slow down, and then blew up.

that's a rough telling, but the point is really more that administration technology is crazily far ahead of where we were even 50 years ago, and it's continuing to gain in efficiency. empires imploding as a result of over-reaching is pretty much out (as well, we're mostly out of an age of imperium, but that could always turn back around).

following that, empires without a strong and widespread persistent national identity are easier to break. think of the ottomans- when your greatest (and perhaps sole) unifying cultural factor was that you won, then losing is going to expose some serious cracks. again, rough description. you get the gist.

with america, i'm really not sure what our national identity is supposed to be, but perhaps our greatest unifier is going to be that being american is *not* really cultural, it's not at all ethnic, that anyone can be american in theory (a similar, but more limited, sort of citizenship was present in ancient rome)

i dunno. i've been wondering over the past few days what would actually break our country beyond a reasonable repair, and failing full nuclear war i'd be surprised if there was anything

15. Alakhami

Do you know any languages other than english?

16. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think the empires that have lasted have been the ones that have had a continuous land border, and who have aggressively colonised it.

Russia and the US have kept the lands they invaded because they could make them look homogenous with the mother country.

With the western European empires there was always that physical distance that prevented a colony (even a ethnically homogeneous one like Australia) feeling like they were the same as the motherland and so they eventually all seperate.

Geressen likes this.
  17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

[citations needed]

18. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

bad english.

aside from that, no. the current plan is to pick up arabic, hebrew, latin, and russian

my impression of the reason the british empire 'fell' was more because they gave a lot of it up than because it crumbled apart, but my grasp of british imperialism is not what it could be.

my impression of most of the western empires is that they lost or gave up their holdings to prioritize their mainland power

anyway the clearest example, i think, of the administration thing with regards to empire is the tibetan empire, which existed around a couple hundred BCE. they conquered all around their base in the himalayas before realizing that it's really Firking hard to communicate in a timely fashion through a bigass mountain range, at which point each of the regions sort of split off to do its own thing. you can look at the mongols or the ottomans for a decent picture of what happens when your empire has strong ethnic or cultural undercurrents when it starts falling apart.

i remember hearing (maybe on these forums) that china was basically breeding the countryside enclaves of other ethnicities that they have into their main stream, so eventually all of china will identify as han chinese (and maybe something else as well)

Tweek516 likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Also apparently "police actions" (massacres) are frowned upon by the UN when enacted upon the people in Dutch India ( Indonesia) in the late 1940's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_63

fun fact about the indonesian national revolt:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  20. Alakhami

That's a shame, because I wanted to recommend you to read Umberto Eco's essay which is called "Middle Ages have already begun" (or atleast that's how it's called in russian). In any case, maybe you might have some luck looking it up somewhere, but I couldn't find it in the internet, nor could I find the name of it.