Turn based RPG's?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bondman007, Aug 24, 2016.

1. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

dwarf fortress

Etherielin, darklord48 and Bondman007 like this.
  2. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Age of Decadence looks pretty cool. Put it on my wishlist for a Steam sale. Thea looks ok.

3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Yes, it is weird, but you quickly pick up on it.
    Yes, they did improve it, and they removed some of the unnecessary RNG that can, and will firk you over in the first game.

It is, but the game is a masterpiece.
    Yes, yes it does

aseryen and Bondman007 like this.
  4. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Has faeria gotten better? I checked it out a while back and the reviewers were killing it saying that there were not very many decks that were competitive, that only a few top tier decks would win...

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

If you get Shining Force, wait for a steam sale. I got the package they're in for $3 I believe.

6. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

I'd also suggest:
    - Neverwinter Nights series (not the MMO)
    - Planescape: Torment (this one is dialogue-heavy though, you can lose lots of XP by skipping dialogues)
    - Sword Coast Legends (good story and the gameplay is neato despite the critics)
    - Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (good tie-in between BG1 and BG2, the negative reviews are mostly transphobic ones)
    - Divinity: Original Sin
    - Child of Light (imagine playing a fairy tale that's being told to you by your mum, dad or grandparents)
    - Icewind Dale: EE (another bunch of awesome)
    - Transistor (really awesome story)

From turn based RPGs I think that'd be all. :p

anima62 and Bondman007 like this.
  7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Neverwinter Nights 1/2 is a lot of fun as a 2-player experience. I played it with my wife :D

Qucas and Etherielin like this.
  8. Etherielin

The best part of it was finally being able to play an Elf Wizard and have access to swords and shields. My battlemage absolutely loved that!

9. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Darkest Dungeon is worth a look if you like the original XCOM's "your dudes are all expendable meat so level them up but don't get too attached" sort of game in a jRPGish combat system.

Bondman007 likes this.
  10. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Seconded. My only problem with this amazing game is that the story is there, but you have to search for it to have any idea wtf you're doing. And character bios, and story bits update constantly, so you have to continuously check it.

11. Etherielin

It was a good idea imo. That way both lore geeks and powergamers get to know the story.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  12. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

I only played the first instalments of each game but enjoyed both. Both definitely filled that Pox itch when they were first released.

DoGs The Huntsman: Winter's Curse looks pretty good, not sure on how expansive it is however the art looks great.

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The combat in Winter's Curse I designed as a "lite" card game. I believe the first chapter is still free on Steam so you can try it out and see how it works in its basic form. You do get more options as you go along in the the chapters, but the basics of the system doesn't change all that much.

That said, the system can handle more complex/interesting cards, it just didn't fit the demographic for that game.

aseryen likes this.
  14. aseryen

I like how personal the combat looks. Will have to give it a try.

15. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

have to give a 2nd to Darkest Dungeon. lovecraftian, rogue like. do yourself a favor though and resist the urge to read guides. this game is best learned the hard way.

anima62 and Etherielin like this.
  16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

One of my all time favorites is Pool of Radiance. Also,Spellforce.

17. Etherielin

@Spellforce - definitely the first of the series. The second one isn't that good compared to the first.

18. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

The SSI Pool of Radiance? I just played through it, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Secret of the Silver Blades after they were on sale on GoG. I started Pools of Darkness, but then I got distracted by Pox.

19. aseryen

Gem Craft was a fun Tower Defense, it's been a while since I've played a solid TD that I like. The random ones I'd find years ago had more appeal than what I'm finding now, at least f2p TD's.

20. Etherielin

Legion TD from Warcraft 3 is going to be released in December this year as a F2P TD game on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/469600/

Just dropping that for you. ^^