Turn based RPG's?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bondman007, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Tower Defense

Defender's Quest is quite well done:
    http://www.defendersquest.com/1/

It's ugly and the story can be cheesy, but we don't play TD for graphics and stories, right?!

2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Defenders Quest could also be considered an RPG, but it's not turn-based. As for the graphics, and story; I didn't mind them. It even got a chuckle out of me a time or two.

3. Sokolov

The posts on this page moved onto TDs, so I mentioned one.

That said, you could argue that many TDs in general are turn-based, if you consider "Waves" to be turns, though of course that's not the standard definition.

SPiEkY and aseryen like this.
  4. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Bloons TD master race

5. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

There was a game on Kongregate that had a game or two made after it, can't remember the name but it was pretty difficult when just running through.

6. Sokolov

That gives us almost nothing to go on, lol

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. aseryen

lol am hunting it down now, was going to edit after I find it.

Sonny was a good series, but not the one I was thinking of.

8. aseryen

Monsters' Den, not tagged as Turn-based but it definitely is. I like that you'll most likely fail if you select all the same type characters to journey with variety is key.

9. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Ah, the super classics. Do you guys have to emulate these games to run? At least I assume so...

10. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Pool of Radiance - yes, perhaps.
    Spellforce? No, it runs perfectly fine on Win 7 and I heard it doesn't cause problems on Win 10 either.

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

GOG has them packaged with dosbox ready to run.

12. Bondman007

Ok, so after this thread and the suggestions you guys made, I have ended up discovering GoG. (How did I not know about that paradise of old game jewels?) Anyways, I have selected Icewind Dale 1 Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale II The Complete Edition along with the Banner Saga 1 & 2.
    Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. These really seemed to be spot on to what I was looking for. I am also saving this thread as a favorite so that I can refer back to it after I get done with these current selections! I knew I could count on you for this even though we don't always agree in Pox! ;)

Notable mentions and future considerations:
    Blackguards 1 & 2
    The old SSI D&D games (thanks to GoG)

Thanks,
    Bond

P.S. You can keep throwing ideas into this thread as I will continue to check it for your ideas.

13. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

https://www.gog.com/ GoG stands for Good Old Games. Basically they take old games that people like, make sure they run on modern hardware and OS, and sell them.

aseryen and Baskitkase like this.
  15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Awesome, I'll check it out!

16. Bondman007

Dude, be prepared to be amazed and overwhelmed! Awesome stuff!

17. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Indeed.
    I checked it and it looks awesome.
    I just might have to buy some stuff.

Bondman007 likes this.
  18. Etherielin

GoG is owned by CD Projekt, the same guys who made Witcher 3, just saying. :p

19. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I know it isn't turn based but Pillars of Eternity is one of my favorite RPGs of all time and i will recommend the Bane Shift out of it to anyone. If anyone doesn't know it's a spiritual successor to the Baldurs Gate series and it's spin offs.

The combat is real time but you can pause or slow it down in order to take actions in more efficient time, it works out really well.

GoG is awesome, their no DRM thing is the selling point for me, I want to be able to play games from 20 years ago without needing a connection.

20. Etherielin

PoE uses the same combat system like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, which is turn based mixed with real time. :p