UD early game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agirgis1, Oct 3, 2016.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think there are more instances where giving up mid-font is a totally acceptable play than people realize, especially with the current theme decks, and especially against UD (for curve reasons, not because UD has unavoidable threat). The must-contest orthodoxy has got to go.

2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I dunno, man, them giving up mid font, even to group up and retaliate or what-have-you, is very often a win-condition for me whenever I play UD.

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Not everyone can be the Michael Phelps of Pox, Piepie.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

What decks are they playing, and when are they trying to counter-attack?

5. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Honestly, it's so rare that I'm given mid-font that I can't really remember the last time it's happened, much less what the guy was playing.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ok, because giving up mid with burly decks and then not immediately counter-attacking but instead forming up a line is perfectly legit against UD.

7. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I've played UD quite poorly since way back in 2007. I agree that the UD early game is currently more tweaked towards aggression than ever. But I rather enjoy that aspect.

Way back in the mists of time, the better damage stood UD in good stead, but now many factions have better beaters, and all factions have many more options. I feel that UD has been rather behind the curve for a while and that the latest rune sets allow UD to do 'what they do' quite well. I.e. Get right in your face and smash you.

There's nothing wrong with that as an overall strategy, and employing it effectively does need some element of skill. It's very easy to overextend and be crushed.

For UD guys who like longer games, there are always the very fun goblins.