UD/KF RPG deck (with only 6 champs)

Discussion in 'Split Faction' started by fogandsteel, Aug 1, 2016.

1. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    DrakeArron likes this.
  2. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

Heres a suggestion if you want far more people giving advice- Put in the title that this is a BG with only six champs. I guarantee you people will flock here just to try and figure out how that is possible XD.

3. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

The new scry is probably favourable enough that you can get one champ. I don't know what the exact odds are but if you just need one champ for the first few rounds you can probably get away with less than 10. I'm more worried about having 1/3 of your champs be faithless in a deck that's 80% spells/relics/equips.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    SPiEkY and DrakeArron like this.
  4. fogandsteel

Thanks, Drake. I added your idea to the title. To be honest, it doesn't have to be 6 champs, but I found that reliable chassis for creating a superchamp in UD/KF split is only Vothsair Ireguard (all the other Voths are too slow and no Multiattack; they are good for defensive game, but mine is a super aggressive one). Jyx is ok. (It was suggested to me in Global chat the other day.) I found him adequate, but no match for Ireguard. All the other champs in my deck are acting in support roles. So, I am seeking advice on tweaking support champs/spells/relics/equipment.

I had a moderate (about 50%) success rate with this BG (or a slightly adjusted version of it) in 1v1 Ranked. Considering that I am a noob (level 57, not 99) who doesn't know probably 80% of the runes, I think it is a decent performance. (You can check my game history; I even beat zeya231 once: he surrendered after only 8 turns.) I keep making stupid noob mistakes, and I think in more experienced hands this BG will have a much higher win rate.

DrakeArron likes this.
  5. DrakeArron

Holy crap XD.
    If your a noob, I'm like, I don't even know. Mentally handicapped? Have a piece of my brain missing? Your doing insanely well for how you describe yourself, especially considering the deck your running.

6. fogandsteel

To add more info: if I am lucky enough to draw Ireguard at the start of the game, I usually do not deploy a second champ for a while, mostly using nora to buff/protect my Ireguard with spells, while his damage climbs into 30+ range in a hurry. Considering that with 4 AP he can do 2 attacks, and with 9 AP — 3 attacks per turn, soon enough he can one round any enemy champ. Add Avarice on top of this guy, and get 3-4 attacks with 20-30+ damage per turn.

Obviously, if my opponent is using some sort of a spell seal, I might deploy more champs/use less spells. I adjust my gameplay according to challenges presented by each game.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  7. DrakeArron

Also, unless you didn't tell us, props to yo for making a somewhat succesfull BG entirely on your own this early n your career. I mean, I'm attempting that atm with a vamp- naria deck, but that's far easier to make cōmpared to shaking up the BG building formula as much as you are.

8. fogandsteel

I made this BG back in 2014 (or beginning of 2015), when I was level 20 or something like that. (I haven't played for about a year. Just recently started playing again.) I don't think it is an entirely new concept; surely somebody tried to turn Voth Ireguard into a superchamp before. Vothsair Ireguard is just OP in my opinion. His only weak spot is being Faithless. I get around it by casting protective spells on him while he is still in the deployment zone (or not far from it) and before rushing to attack. If he survives long enough, I try to deploy another champ who doesn't have Faithless and move him close enough to where the action takes place so that I can cast spells there.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    DrakeArron likes this.
  9. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

it all depends on the ireguards. it's hit or miss. You probably will not win against good players. One dispel can ruin you.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. fogandsteel

True dat. But so far I've seen an opponent use dispel on my champ only once (maybe twice). Because nobody else runs this type of BG, most of the players are taken by surprise. I believe I have a few wins against good players with this BG in ranked 1v1. Even without spell buffs, Vothsair Ireguard is a slaughter machine and not easy to kill. My BG just allows you to use him to full potential.

11. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

what I meant to say is: you probably can't win against good players twice as it is a one trick pony. (ireguard is a beast yes)

Fentum, Qucas and SPiEkY like this.
  12. fogandsteel

Unfortunately (or fortunately, for it was taking up a lot of my time), I can't play anymore because my current Internet provider blocks Poxnora game client (or whatever it's called), so I can't test how many times I can use this "one trick pony" deck before ranked players start countering it effectively on a consistent basis. I was thinking of swapping Mystic Opposition (x2) for Dark Pact (x2) as Mystic Opposition only neutralizes the spell, whereas Dark Pact frequently going to hurt your opponent using his own nora. Plus running Grimlic's Mirror x2 instead of x1, which will allow you to spam the type of unit that is most suitable for countering whatever your opponent is playing. I do believe this BG has some potential; it just needs a bit of tweaking and a more experienced player than me to make it shine.

13. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

A good split to run if you like ireguards is ST UD.

Favour of the queen gives majestic
    Snow blind and dark pact give spell protection
    Lonx Bonecharm gives pounce and blood frenzy
    Cleansing storm gives spot cleanse
    Leoss Magnate for healing and blessing for majestic
    Crystal Phoenix for insta heal
    Etc, etc.

Throw in pincushions for similar malarkey.

Your deck is achieving similar things but the multiple sources of majestic in ST really help.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  14. DrakeArron

What get from this post is that that should be ST's marketing phrase-
    We're far more majestic then any other faction. Come to us if you want to dazzle others like we do! :p

Fentum likes this.
  15. Fentum

Agreed!

UD beaters with arrow eater, supported by utility ST runes. Focus on majestic.

The new Lonx Bone charm is remarkably good on ireguards. Better than avarice by some way.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  16. fogandsteel

Fentum, thank you for ST ideas. What is a "beater"?

17. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Good damage, high HP, usually both offensive and defensive abilities. Obnoxious to deal with, very efficient, but neither as deadly nor as tanky as dedicated champions.

18. Fentum

What he said. My personal favourites are Pincushion and Ireguard. Fire Elemental is also good with 7 speed for an early deploy.

19. fogandsteel

Many thanks.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  20. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

So you know I have a thing for calculating this;
    Going first you will draw 1.5 champs on average. This is bad, as it means that over half the time you will only get 1 champ (and actually have a chance to get none, though with mulliganing that should be very low). The reason for this is that with only 5 champs in your bg, you will only get another champ on turn 2 in 3/10 games, and many maps have fonts in 2 different directions. So you will likely be left with 1 champ for the majority of the game, seeing as it will no doubt turn into a rush. You may think that grimlic's mirror fixes this a bit, but it doesn't. If you draw mirror alone, it's useless, and it's possible that can happen to you. Also, you cannot mirror Jyx, because he's a split hero, so you only have 5 targets.
    Having done the maths I decided that the minimum champs you should run is 8. Obviously you will have had some experience already running this deck, but I still think you should add more.

On another note, I think the first thing anyone thinks seeing KF/UD is either elves/deep elves split, or superchamp. It's the infamous UD's bullshit champs + time slip + Kf's cleanse. As soon as you deploy a non elf people are going to be expecting what you do.