UK Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by attio26, Jun 7, 2017.

1. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

It's tomorrow! Who are you voting for?

#JC4PM

MaruXV likes this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

voting for george washington #godblessamerica

xaznsoulx and SPiEkY like this.
  3. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

No one, because all politicians are dirty liars. I also don't really care or know enough about politics to cast a blind vote.

4. Vote Kanye 2020

Nah, got offered an Athletics Scholarship but my dad convinced me it's a waste of time and money and that nothing would come out of it so I'm still around UK. Was the worst decision I ever made by not taking it.

Edit: Oh unless you mean CampAmerica. Yeah, I coached athletics but it was only for a couple of months kind of deal

5. Vote Kanye 2020

Because all I did instead was go to a shitty college in England, do a course I hated because I was told this is the field of the future (I.T) and dropped out. Whereas I should have gone for something I enjoyed rather than something I was told to do.

Fentum likes this.
  6. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I'm a reluctant labour voter.

I'm not convinced by Corbyn on some grounds, and I don't really think May's government is as bad as previous Tory governments but still, I think Labour is the best option on balance.

It's a bit of a labour slogan, but I don't trust the Tories with the NHS. They maybe aren't the right wing wide boy ideologogs of the Cameron era, but with that Hunt still as health secretary I don't think they can be trusted.

I also don't trust the Tory narrative about clearing the national debt, not least because they have failed to do so despite cutting everything they can.

On Brexit I am more torn, as much as I think Labour's intentions are good, I doubt the EU are much interested in mutually beneficial compromise. This may be a fight to the death and sometimes a determined ******* is better than an intelligence and reasonable approach (echoes of Churchill and chamberlain).

I really don't want Britain to become a tax haven, but the threat of that happening might be necessary as a bargaining chip with the EU. With Corbyn they would never believe it a possibility.

On the other hand, I think that for many Tories that would be a wet dream come true, so why would they not make us into some kind of giant Luxembourg?

My only hope with May is that she did at least try to address some real issues of unfairness regarding things like the imbalance towards pensioners (which labour cynically took advantage of) even if she u-turned at the first resistance.

7. Vote Kanye 2020

Eh, if I really wanted too probably not. But I'm definitely out of practice and haven't had to deal with any competitive aspects of the sports in a long time, would be alot of work. Just need to work out if it's worth doing and if I would stick it out in the long run.

8. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

I could've wrote this myself honestly. Which is pretty boring for a discussion but there we go..

9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I wonder if the UK goverment will be strong and stable.

or conservative. see what I did there? eh? eeeeh?
    (that was a joke, I hope the british people get what they want.)

quite willing on some parts but I thought the entire point of the UK brexiting is so they can get rid of fishing quotas and kill off the entire fishing industry in north-western Europe within a decade or two by first killing all the fish.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  10. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I'm guessing that from the EU point of view there are two conflicting points of interest-- making sure the EU project doesn't unravel by Britain seeming to do well and encouraging separatism, and not losing, or impoverishing, an important trading partner.

Of course there are other points of conflict where one side could screw the other, like you said Britain could destroy the fishing industry of many nations including your own, likewise if it really wanted to I'm sure the EU could mess up the financial services that are the core of the UK economy.

So ultimately I agree that a compromise -a deal- is necessary, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be either fair or be amicable, it will be both sides trying to claw advantages since for both sides there is a lot riding on it.

Geressen likes this.
  11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Well, you know what they say...

when the going gets though the british try to flee the continent.
    [​IMG]

in all seriousness though you guys ****ed over Scotland threatening them with not being in the EU if they went independent then making that happen anyway. and Northern Ireland. it would be interesting to see how the ellection turns out.

but yeah Europe can't just let you have your cake and eat it because we need a Europe that is...

STRONG and STABLE

so we all stay at peace.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    BurnPyro likes this.
  12. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

The evacuation of Dunkirk is definitely not an example of the UK fleeing the continent because the going got tough..

Im sure the EU and the UK will find a mature negotiation that works, I do worry that the inherent euroscepticism that British people are part of is a thing they are punished for by their neighbors. You have to respect a person or countries desire to be individual, it's sort of a fundamental right.

But anyway, no one won the election it seems (other than the DUP which is pretty scary) so looks like there'll be another one within a year at least.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

calm down it was a joke,
    no one is taking UK's individualism away they just use the EU as a scapegoat because things change over time and change is scary.

14. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

I'm calm I just don't understand the joke's humor. I'm not saying anyones taking it away, just that the desire it's self is seen as a bad thing.

15. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Monty Python for UK prime minister

(is he even still alive)

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you know monty Python is not a person right?

17. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

sure he is, he's the funny guy that stars in all those funny movies

attio26 and Fentum like this.
  18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

You can call him... Tim.

themacca and darklord48 like this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

damn this is late but fun

Comissar likes this.