UnbrokenFlow's Free Player Journey

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by UnbrokenFlow, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Yes, you can.

UnbrokenFlow likes this.
  2. UnbrokenFlow

UnbrokenFlow Member

Day 9 - 10/27/2014

Goals:
    1. Grind Skirmishes
    2. Dailies
    3. Level my deck for Guild Tournament
    Progress:
    1. Played 5 Skirmishes. Reward: Traitorous Helm
    2. Training PVP. Win. Dailies complete.
    3. Skirmish Reward: 54g & Strength in Numbers
    4. Skimish Reward: 50g & Voil Bomber
    5. Skirmish Reward: 416g & Voil Bomber

Bugs:
    Stitched AI really loves to deploy into chasms.

Notes:
    Training for my guild tournament.

Time Played: 2hrs
    Progress: 32hrs/100hrs.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. UnbrokenFlow

UnbrokenFlow Member

Day 10 - 10/29/2014

Goals:
    1. Play Tournament Game
    2. Skirmishes
    3. Dailies
    Notes:
    Played my first guild tournament game and won. UD spiders vs UD fire. It was C/UC tourney with one hero and banner. I have to say I am quite happy with the runes I have now for the time I've put in. I have heroes. I have a level 50 avatar and banner. I have 3 different UD decks. I have most of the staples I want and am now working towards some expensive exos to perfect my BGs.

Progress: 34hrs/100hrs.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    SPiEkY and Ozariig like this.
  4. UnbrokenFlow

UnbrokenFlow Member

Day 11 - 10/30/2014

Goals:
    1. Play Tournament Game
    2. Skirmishes
    3. Dailies
    Notes:
    Played my second tournament game vs. TheGriffin. I also won this one, it was spiders (me) vs. UD meta. It was a close game for awhile but I came through over time with font advantages and spider meat.
    Grabbed another exo traitorous helm playing skirmishes and finished all of my dailies. Up to 6.7k gold now. I've bought 3 packs and an avatar so far so I've spent about 15k. I'm grinding my way up to my first extended box set. Debating between fleshing out my minotaur deck and my spider deck. Pretty much phase spiders vs. minotaur battlemages. I'll have to look at what max runed UD depths look like to get an idea of what I want to work towards. I think once I get my phase spiders or minotaur battlemages, I'm going to start ranking up.

Progress: 36hrs/100hrs.

5. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

You have some pretty good progression from when you started to here, and I'm glad to see you finding success and enjoying yourself :)

One thing I noticed is that the NUX had you doing a pretty big variety of activities at the start while now you're mostly grinding the dailies and farming skirmish (with a few PVP battles thrown in for good measure). Do you find the shift monotonous at all these days? Or is the goal of ranking up keeping you motivated through the grind?

Also, what do you think about the Avatar and Champion CP systems? Is it something that you pay any attention to?

Thanks for keeping up with the posts :)

UnbrokenFlow likes this.
  6. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

You have incredible luck with your rune rewards!

UnbrokenFlow likes this.
  7. UnbrokenFlow

UnbrokenFlow Member

1. I feel that the only other activity the NUX had me doing was playing Campaigns. I don't like campaigns. It's either a slug fest with no finesse or exploiting a specific mechanic. I don't have the runes to make it fun and I don't feel like grinding for them. At this point the only reason I would play campaigns is if they gave a bigger reward then Skirmishes and in my opinion they don't.
    2. I am making sure to get my dailies. I don't mind them, although, some of them are annonying like highlander, and some of the more obscure races. I feel like it's a good way to get gold rewards and it feels rewarding to do them.
    3. The main reason I am grinding Skirmishes is that it levels my champions. I am one of those people who won't play ranked until my deck is just right. The plus side of this is that, I am earning enough exotic cards from grinding skirmishes to flesh my decks out. That being said, I don't really like leveling my champions, it feels really grindy without a good way to focus on specific champs.
    4. The goal of one day ranking up is definitely keeping me focused and now that I'm in a guild the game is social which keeps me coming back.
    5. Avatar leveling was ridiculously quick. I was never really sure what abilities I was gaining when I leveled up so there was a disconnect there but I did enjoy the speed.

I have gotten quite a few exos, I'm not sure if I'm luckier than average though :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Morfeas and Ozariig like this.
  8. UnbrokenFlow

UnbrokenFlow Member

Day 12 - 10/31/2014

Goals:
    1. Dailies
    2. Skirmishes
    3. Level Tourney Deck

Progress:
    1. Skirmish: 45g & Magma Bunny
    2. Skirmish: 35g & Succubus
    3. Skirmish: 50g & Nefari Siphon

Notes:

Progress: 38hrs/100hrs.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  9. UnbrokenFlow

UnbrokenFlow Member

Day 13 - 11/1/2014

Goals:
    1. Skirmishes
    2. Level up my Tournament Spider deck
    Notes:
    Today I decided I was going to design a deck for quickly leveling champion CP. I took 2 Obelisk of Forsight. Tossed them into a deck of random junk and the 1 champion that I wanted to level. I would then que for Skirmish or the daily campaign. I'd reveal runes until I found my 1 champion. Then I'd attack once with that champion and surrender. 11cp each time. No more than 17 games per champion. Each game takes about 1-3 minutes on average. Sometimes quicker. Probably takes about 15-20 minutes to level a fresh champion. I just watched movies well doing it. Super grindy but at least reliable leveling.

My spider deck is now fully leveled and I'm ready to finish the guild tournament strong.

Time Played: 4hrs
    Progress: 42hrs/100hrs

10. UnbrokenFlow

UnbrokenFlow Member

Day 14 - 11/2/2014

Goals:
    1. Dailies
    2. Grind 10 Skirmishes
    3. Perhaps venture into ranked with my completed spider deck
    4. Design a deck for shrine rushing skirmishes with Thunderhoof. Quickly farm cards.
    Progress:
    1. Skirmish: 50g & Fortify
    2. Training PVP: 950g. Dailies completed.
    3. Skirmish: 32g & Thunderhoof
    4. Skirmish: 35g & Sheoul Firebow
    5. Skirmish: 27g & Fire Elemental
    6. Skirmish: 32g & Goblin Brute
    7. Skirmish: 35 & Nightblade
    8. Skirmish: 32g & Nightmare
    9. Skirmish: 37g & Nightmare
    10. Skirmish: 35g & Protect the Nest
    11. Skirmish: 32g & Sheoul Firebow
    Notes:
    Created a deck with invisibility, thunderhoof, protect the nest and obelisk of foresight. Just deploy thunderhoof run to their shrine stealth along the way. And blow it up.

Joined an improtu guild tournament today and won! http://challonge.com/poxacademyt3 My prizes were a token pack and a Voil Infernal. Voil Infernal is thus far the only rune, I haven't "earned" through typical game channels. He's currently worth 63k on Pox Box which will help towards getting either Minotaur Battlemages or Phase Spiders.

I will be posting a short guide for new players on obtaining their first C/UC deck at the top of my free player journal tomorrow. I'll also add my guide for farming skrims and cp.

For anyone running tournaments for their guild, check out the challonge.com website. It's free and supports many different bracket types. I showed it to my guild and we're using it now :)

Time Played: 4hrs
    Progress: 46hrs/100hrs

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    SPiEkY and soulmilk like this.
  11. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

Hah, that's a creative solution. Well played sir ;)

UnbrokenFlow likes this.
  12. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

bangarang

13. Korahn2610

Korahn2610 New Member

As a new player myself I am enjoying seeing your progress. It helps to make it seem like I'm not the only one who is grinding through the daily activities in an attempt to become decent at this game again. I'm working with KF so every time I see you reference a rune I have to quick go look it up, but that only helps me understand the game better as well. For daily activities do you have a deck from each faction or do you just use the free decks to complete the faction based requirements?

Karamasov and soulmilk like this.
  14. UnbrokenFlow

UnbrokenFlow Member

Glad you're following the thread. For dailies I just use the free decks. I believe those are all you need to complete them all.

15. UnbrokenFlow

UnbrokenFlow Member

Day 15 - 11/4/2014

Notes:
    Checked in on guild tourney and grinded some gold out.

Time Played: 1hrs
    Progress: 47hrs/100hrs

Day 16 - 11/5/2014

Notes:
    Checked in on guild tourney and grinded some gold out. Not feeling like playing a whole lot.

Time Played: 1hrs
    Progress: 48hrs/100hrs

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  16. UnbrokenFlow

UnbrokenFlow Member

Day 17 - 11/6/2014

Goals:
    1. Dailies
    2. Grind 10 Skirmishes
    Progress:
    1. Training PVP: Barbs vs. Skeletons. Reward: 750g
    2. Skirmish: 50g & Fortify
    3. Skirmish: 400g Dwarven Mead Trap
    4. Bought Mirefolk BG because still water is just toooooo weak. It's winnable but takes so long.
    5. Daily Campaign: 200g
    6. Daily Campaign: 775g
    Notes:
    Total Gold: 14.2k
    Progress: 50hrs/100hrs

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  17. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

Ironfist Crusade is a great bg for training grounds. Lord of Bones is fun for skirmish, you can get the Tomb Lords big quickly and then just walk through everything.

UnbrokenFlow likes this.
  18. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

Glad to see you're taking part in guild events, and sticking with this awesome thread concept!

UnbrokenFlow likes this.
  19. Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver The King of Potatoes

Hey flow, im really enjoying reading your thread, I think its clear how much the new player experience improved from the time I started playing. The game is actually rewarding new players for their efforts and the steam launch brought some new players into the game :D
    Keep it up!

UnbrokenFlow likes this.
  20. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

arn't you a returning player i feel deja vu for some wierd reason